OITW

Reaction score
There was an older thread, but figured we needed a newer one.

What Salsa do you like, homemade store bought? Favorite brands?

What do you eat it with? Tortilla chips? Eggs? Tacos, burritos etc?

Homemade with produce from the garden. Consumed on tortilla chips.

Homemade, mostly with chips, but can be eaten with just about anything. :drinks:

In my area there is tons available and there is no way to say one is best. There are lots of phenomenal choices. Welcome to California.

Thanks for this thread! I decided to make some salsa while I waited for my wings in the air fryer. Homemade is the best way to go and with tortilla chips. :love:

There are countless good to great store brand salsas in texas. Even more at every hole in the wall tex-mex joint.
No way that I could pick just one.
And it can go on anything.

Yes. I would eat it with all of those. Something chunky and medium in heat.

Homemade, so much better

The salsa from my favourite restaurant. No chunks, very dark in colour and super spicy. I don’t care what the mains are like, I always judge a place on its salsa and margaritas. The salsa in the UK is crap. A jar of the Doritos salsa and that’s about it, so I’m now making up for lost time!!!!

Local specialty market right by my house.... make it fresh every day.... the guacamole is even better!

The salsa from my favourite restaurant. No chunks, very dark in colour and super spicy. I don’t care what the mains are like, I always judge a place on its salsa and margaritas. The salsa in the UK is crap. A jar of the Doritos salsa and that’s about it, so I’m now making up for lost time!!!!

Salsa in the UK is total crap! Agreed. Which is sad, because, outside tomatillos, they grow all the ingredients you need for mainstream salsa. And they could import the dried chiles for the other easily

Salsa in the UK is total crap! Agreed. Which is sad, because, outside tomatillos, they grow all the ingredients you need for mainstream salsa. And they could import the dried chiles for the other easily
I think the big issue is Mexican food is pretty difficult to come by back home.

large_3c18cf2e-03e4-496b-af2d-5b13bc365161.jpg

Its not salsa. Its PARTY DIP!!

I’m in Texas and I think store bought salsa is garbage. Plenty of Tex-Mex restaurants make great salsa though.

I prefer homemade. A few Serrano peppers, a couple jalapeños, some cilantro, onion, garlic, tomato, olive oil, salt, pepper, and water.

Willy's Original Hot is my go to. Very solid and has a nice kick. I always add more heat in the form of chopped fresh habaneros and 750k Scoville hot sauce, but I could easily enjoy it as is.

I’m in Texas and I think store bought salsa is garbage. Plenty of Tex-Mex restaurants make great salsa though.

I prefer homemade. A few Serrano peppers, a couple jalapeños, some cilantro, onion, garlic, tomato, olive oil, salt, pepper, and water.

Boil or roast? I generally roast, but have wanted to try boiling method

Las margaritas fresh salsa. It’s a local Mexican restaurant near me they have the best salsas

I have used a simple recipe for either red or green salsa. Boil tomatoes or tomatillos, garlic, onion, peppers, and put everything through a food processor. Add whatever heat you want through the hot peppers you put in it. The best I ever made was with dehydrated ghost peppers, but that would nearly melt your eyeballs. It tasted amazing but was way too hot.
I need to try making fresh salsa both boiled and not. It’s fun and potentially painful.

I have used a simple recipe for either red or green salsa. Boil tomatoes or tomatillos, garlic, onion, peppers, and put everything through a food processor. Add whatever heat you want through the hot peppers you put in it. The best I ever made was with dehydrated ghost peppers, but that would nearly melt your eyeballs. It tasted amazing but was way too hot.
I need to try making fresh salsa both boiled and not. It’s fun and potentially painful.
I put mine through the food processor before cooking it. I think it does a better job of blending the flavors that way.

I put mine through the food processor before cooking it. I think it does a better job of blending the flavors that way.
Oooh, I, um like that idea. I like a “raw” salsa too. Maybe throw in avocado too. Mmm

Oooh, I, um like that idea. I like a “raw” salsa too. Maybe throw in avocado too. Mmm
We call raw salsa Pico where I come from (pico de gallo). I’m not a fan. I think tomatoes are too acidic and cooking them makes them palatable. Give me cooked salsa over pico any day.

Back