Best Tech Story in Golf

The Bridgestone JGR line
On the Driver and Woods - the F.A.S.T. design with a flexible Crown when most drivers flex at the Sole.
On the JGR Hybrid Irons - Creating a forged iron that fly "Hybrid" long and yet maintain an "Iron" like stopping power on the greens.

The tech that interests me the most is aerodynamics. Its not necessarily a big ticket tech story, and probably lacks the marketing sexiness of adjustable weights, but it just seems like an area of club design where a seemingly minuscule adjustment makes a tremendous difference. I could easily see the future holding a lot more advances in this area that carry a product line from one year to the next. I know we didn't get the greatest of looks at it, but on Driver vs Driver it was difficult to tell if any physical changes took place after the design team completely changed the aerodynamics of the Triton.

Bombtech of course haha

White putters. You know, it caused higher contrast with the ground so you could align its 3 black lines better, etc. It did actually seem to make a difference for quite some time.

~Rock

Many years ago, I bought one of these
35be04e955c0b7f14f40b3ce28020714.png

My club in the U.K. Was one of the few places to carry them. They were having a demo day down at the practice ground. I got chatting to the head pro who told me they were the real deal. And they were for accuracy. That some of the bottle redirected energy back into the face and supposedly made the ball go further. I didn't notice any extra distance, but the thing was pretty forgiving and was accurate. Trouble was, it sounded like a frying pan. I think burrows golf died as quick as they arrived on the scene, however, they were one of the first manufacturers to offer the quick release heads on their demo clubs. Adjustable drivers were still a thing of the future. A big selling point to the powersphere driver is you had a range of shafts, a range of heads that you simply clicked together to try the club in seconds. Everyone does it now, but back then, Burrows were fairly unique in doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjustable hosels in general. I think they have the most potential benefits for the average golfer.

Many years ago, I bought one of these
35be04e955c0b7f14f40b3ce28020714.png

My club in the U.K. Was one of the few places to carry them. They were having a demo day down at the practice ground. I got chatting to the head pro who told me they were the real deal. And they were for accuracy. That some of the bottle redirected energy back into the face and supposedly made the ball go further. I didn't notice any extra distance, but the thing was pretty forgiving and was accurate. Trouble was, it sounded like a frying pan. I think burrows golf died as quick as they arrived on the scene, however, they were one of the first manufacturers to offer the quick release heads on their demo clubs. Adjustable drivers were still a thing of the future. A big selling point to the powersphere driver is you had a range of shafts, a range of heads that you simply clicked together to try the club in seconds. Everyone does it now, but back then, Burrows were fairly unique in doing this.

Good call, I remember having one of those. Also MacGregor had the MacTech or something along those lines in some drivers. They were not good at all.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Good call, I remember having one of those. Also MacGregor had the MacTech or something along those lines in some drivers. They were not good at all.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

You're the only other person I know that had one LOL

For me when I was starting out in golf I remember with Taylormade did MWT, moveable weight technology, and I how I thought it was so cool you could take a wrench and change the golf club on your own, no pro needed!

Gravity core is a nice sample. That blew me away when it first came out.

Would you include nike and now titieist in the same boat here with the tech of flipping a cog weight or in Titleist case having the neutral weight or the option for fade/draw plus in various weight options? Or is that possibly different tech based on how it's used compared to the gravity core

I never said anything about it being done before but I don't see them as being the same. This appears to be a very different approach that seems work very well and I will go out on a very short limb and say better.

My bad. I misinterpreted your topic.
I thought it was about bringing new tech to the market. When you mentioned Jailbreak just wanted to give Zevo their due for introducing that type of tech.

It reminded me when TM came out with Slots in their irons based on tech introduced many years ago by Wilson.

My bad. I misinterpreted your topic.
I thought it was about bringing new tech to the market. When you mentioned Jailbreak just wanted to give Zevo their due for introducing that type of tech.

It reminded me when TM came out with Slots in their irons based on tech introduced many years ago by Wilson.

I just like good tech stories in golf. I don't care who was first to market with a concept (although I think your comparison is apples to oranges). Just looking to see what people think are some of the best tech stories out there at the moment.

I don't have a clear favorite

V-soles, adjustable lofts in woods and hybrids are reasons for some of the clubs in my bag.
The super high MOI and being highly adjustable played a big part of putting a Cure putter in the bag for a while.

Bridgestone's seamless golf ball tech is not new but I think it is one of the best.

What about the modern warbird soleplate? The heavenwood and 3 wood got rave reviews.

The story behind the Pings G irons got me interested enough to check them out. The AWT shafts with the treatment on the club face sounded too good to be true. When I tried the 7 iron at Golfsmith and hit it 175 in the air with a 15 yds roll out I thought I'd buy them. Don't hit them as far as at Golfsmith but the story of the tech was true. Used to play forged irons with TT Gold, frequency matched shafts, set loft and lie angles and match weighted the heads. G's direct from the factory play better.

My vote would be for Bridgestone's Slip-Res cover which is used on the current B330 Series models. An innovation that reduces spin off the driver, increases spin off short irons and wedges and increases durability.

Any multi layer golf ball in the last 20 years.

Far outweighs any other advancement in golf .

Back