Best way to help a beginner

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. As you may know myself and me girlfriend Regina will be going to The Morgan Cup in July. Regina wants to start playing golf soon so that she has a grasp of the game before we go.

My question is whats the best way to start her playing, would it be -

Pitch and Putt,
Take her to the driving range,
Get her lessons - would it be worth paying for the lessons.

Or have you got any better ideas

Also would my clubs be to heavy for her to swing ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I would personally go buy her a set of women's clubs and get her a couple lessons to start out. I think using men's clubs shouldn't be considered they make women's clubs for a reason. I think if she's just starting lessons will give her a good fundamental base to start.

Tapaway!

I absolutely have to agree with the above post. Lessons and ladies clubs. They make them for a reason.

Guys, dhjkelly posted this in the Ask the Pro section. I missed it at first too.

Guys, dhjkelly posted this in the Ask the Pro section. I missed it at first too.
Totally didn't catch that. Sorry everyone!

During lessons, the instructor told me over and over again that the best way to learn is from the hole out. Putting, then chips, approaches and work all the way back to the tee. It could just be his philosophy but maybe its worth a shot. He said psychologically for a newbie its important to keep seeing the ball go in the hole, rather than pound drives.

My wife just started last august she has only played one 18 hole round because "she wasn't ready" but we go to the range once or twice each week. When she first started I borrowed a set of clubs from my dad that had a senior flex and we went to the range a few times after she admited she liked it i signed her up for a set of group lessons for beginer ladies. after a short time I bought her a complete set of adams clubs. We continue to go the range and if I give her any tips or reminders I do it on the way to the range and we discuss her session on the way home. Just remember to take it slow and let the instructor do his job and try not to interfere you can do that when the lessons are done.

Have fun with it. I love hitting balls with my wife it's good quality time that we can share together

Great to hear Regina is wanting to learn how to golf. Here are my suggestions:

1. Talk to a PGA professional about lessons. Since it would be beneficial to learn the various parts of the game, I think more than one lesson would be beneficial. There might be some clinic opportunities for her too. Make sure she "interviews" the professional to make sure she is comfortable going to them for lessons.
2. Ask her PGA professional for a simple fit to make sure she gets clubs that are for her body type and newly learned athletic set-up.

These two steps will help her start off on the right foot and hopefully make the game enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back