Best way to set up a golf vacation

ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have taken only one pure golf vacation in my life to the Meccas of CA to celebrate my Uncle's birthday in a weeklong outing. That worked really well, but lacking a group of friends or relatives, what does everyone recommend if I want to visit the birthplace of golf in the British Isles. Is it better solo, with a tour group of golfers e.g. your state's golfing association or with a travel agency geared to golfers? Thanks!

Great post! Will follow!

Good thread to start. I’m in the same boat, would almost certainly be solo for any golf trip, so I’ll be following this to so what you come up with

I'll throw out some thoughts/practices....I have had a travel company for doing golf trips. I ran it about 10 years. It never went the way I thought it would so I shut down the website and kinda walked away. I still set up trips for some old reliable types. Often I would be asked by singles to set a trip up. No course wants to allocate a tee time to a single unless that single is offering something...They are famous, so the offer is publicity. They are a rater so they offer feedback regarding the course. As a business situation I never felt comfortable setting up singles. Not enough $ for time unless I priced outlandishly, and that was never my style.

So many places offer up deals on groups to travel with...Golf Advisor has been ramping up. Look em up and see what they are doing. Perry Golf coordinates special trips. Fairways to Heaven does outings. https://www.golfthere.com/golf-vacation-packages-for-singles/
I can speak to: Golf Advisor trips seem in the ballpark cost wise. Perry is for deep pockets that want real special. Fairway to Heaven is run by a good friend. The single website I know nothing of.

I have thought maybe I'd post about doing a trip and see if a group of THPers would have interest. But candidly I am new to THP...Maybe down the road.

I'll throw out some thoughts/practices....I have had a travel company for doing golf trips. I ran it about 10 years. It never went the way I thought it would so I shut down the website and kinda walked away. I still set up trips for some old reliable types. Often I would be asked by singles to set a trip up. No course wants to allocate a tee time to a single unless that single is offering something...They are famous, so the offer is publicity. They are a rater so they offer feedback regarding the course. As a business situation I never felt comfortable setting up singles. Not enough $ for time unless I priced outlandishly, and that was never my style.

So many places offer up deals on groups to travel with...Golf Advisor has been ramping up. Look em up and see what they are doing. Perry Golf coordinates special trips. Fairways to Heaven does outings. https://www.golfthere.com/golf-vacation-packages-for-singles/
I can speak to: Golf Advisor trips seem in the ballpark cost wise. Perry is for deep pockets that want real special. Fairway to Heaven is run by a good friend. The single website I know nothing of.

I have thought maybe I'd post about doing a trip and see if a group of THPers would have interest. But candidly I am new to THP...Maybe down the road.
Thanks much for your input. I will check out your links and wait for your venture for THP, would be great fun!

I agree that some golf stops need prior reservations. Pebble Beach is a prime example.

That said, most of our best golf/vacation/road trips have been when we just got in our rig a took off. No particular destination in mind. Just driving some where. Kind of daily decision like "let's go east today".

We'd always run into a golf course some where. If we got close to a high end golf course, a quick call on the cell was in order. A lot times these courses could accomodate us with out reservations. The local munis, public, semi private, or Mom, and Pop courses we would run into were no problem getting on to play. Worst case scenario might just be some range time.

I once was allowed to golf at a very private course in Newport Beach CA. Didn't realise it was private course until I went inside. For a good price (for them) they let me play 18. My point being sometimes you just need to ask.

I am not familiar with golf outside of the North American Continent, but I would imagine, at the very least, a phone call would be in order prior to a visit.

Back