Blades Vs Cavity Back

All consistent with the XR Pro's. But don't misunderstand. XR Pro's are easier to hit. And will probably go further with a perfect strike.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

High floater.

PW

Chs 63.6
Bs 92.6
LA 20.7
Bs 9250
PH 21
Carry 116
Td 116

Different shots for different reasons and situations

But both equal to my XR Pro's distances. Just less effort to effect change in shots.

Fade draw. High. Low. On Demand.

MP -5'S are Blades with a sweetheart for a sweet spot.

Very easy and fun to play and practice.

High floater...what is that? Was it teed up? I've never heard of a high floater with a PW, nor can I understand a single situation you'd need to hit such a shot with a PW.

And those numbers are 8* less launch, 9mph ball speed less, 22 yard less carry, 14y lower, and had 0 roll out. Did you chop down on it?

I hope this is not coming across as an attack on what you're posting, as I'm genuinely just trying to understand what you're trying to do with these, and if you think these are good numbers or not. I'd love to see what some of your numbers are with the XR pros to compare.

High floater...what is that? Was it teed up? I've never heard of a high floater with a PW, nor can I understand a single situation you'd need to hit such a shot with a PW.

And those numbers are 8* less launch, 9mph ball speed less, 22 yard less carry, 14y lower, and had 0 roll out. Did you chop down on it?

I hope this is not coming across as an attack on what you're posting, as I'm genuinely just trying to understand what you're trying to do with these, and if you think these are good numbers or not. I'd love to see what some of your numbers are with the XR pros to compare.
Sorry buddy. Remember I'm a 20 handicapper. Lol.

For me a high floater is a shot I hit to a tight pin location over a trap or water in front guarding the green.

I'm sure it's not a shot in a PGA Tour Pro's bag. Lol.

I bet if you did a video analysis you would see a flip through impact or otherwise a casting move.

But I use this shot when ever I want to get the ball up quickly and stop on a dime. It will usually stop within 1 to 3 feet from the pitch mark or divot.

I also use it to get the ball up over a tree blocking my approach to the green. It will usually fly about ten yards short of my usual distance and I can hit any club from a sandwedge to a 5 iron with decent results. I just drive the club head thru impact which pops the ball up from any lie with lots of back spin.

It flies higher than my usual shot with a slight fade. So I call it my high floater.

20 handicapper. Not a shot for experts. Lol.

I just drive the club head thru impact which pops the ball up from any lie with lots of back spin.

It flies higher than my usual shot with a slight fade. So I call it my high floater.

But...the spin was insanely low for a PW. That's what I don't get. Did you hit this on a launch monitor indoors, or were you on some sort of flight scope type device outside?

If you hit this indoors off a mat, I am guessing you hit behind the ball which popped it up and you hit it high on the face. That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly get a shot that high with that low of spin with that club. If you hit outside off grass....then I am stumped.

Something is weird going on with your results. you only have 500 RPM's different between your 4 iron and PW. I would have thought you thinned the PW to be that low, but it still got to 35y. do you have averages? or is that averages?

fwiw my pw was recently 5,500 rpm with 75mph ss, 100mph bs, 28.3* la, 137 carry 145 total at the callaway center at the Annika Academy. and I hit 3 shots that all showed the same results and were hit well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwiw my pw was recently 5,500 rpm with 75mph ss, 100mph bs, 28.3* la, 137 carry 145 total at the callaway center at the Annika Academy. and I hit 3 shots that all showed the same results and were hit well for me.

Interesting. But that's good to know. I didn't realize spin from a PW would be that low.

Interesting. But that's good to know. I didn't realize spin from a PW would be that low.

the fitter said that's not typical. he wondered if the clubs were responsible for that (my gamers), or the ball, or my swing, or all of the above.

He is probably unhinging early like he mentioned in his post above. I struggle with that at times and have seen my 7 iron under 5K and still carry 180+. It's like teeing your ball up high with the driver in that the high attack (for an iron) and launch angles takes off a lot of spin.

I'm really not worthy of comparing my swing to yours. All I can say is that this is something my instructor and I have been working on lately. I an actively trying to hit a PW with a launch angle below 20* . It produces a stinger flies straight thru the wind and holds the grens after a few hops and stops.

On video my hands are way in front of the ball on contact. It give me greater distant with a slower swing speed and a lot of control. It's barely a half swing with a lot of lag.

Not something I recommend for a scratch play to ever try. It's just too much.

But it's all part of my swing make over. This will become my knock down shot with a 25-28* launch and lots of control.

Baby steps. Walk , crawl then running. Golf. Go figure.

Jmtc

But...the spin was insanely low for a PW. That's what I don't get. Did you hit this on a launch monitor indoors, or were you on some sort of flight scope type device outside?

If you hit this indoors off a mat, I am guessing you hit behind the ball which popped it up and you hit it high on the face. That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly get a shot that high with that low of spin with that club. If you hit outside off grass....then I am stumped.
The floater was measured indoors but I hit basically the same shot outdoor. Same techniques, same results.

Not a shot my instructor would approve of.

Cowabonga

Something is weird going on with your results. you only have 500 RPM's different between your 4 iron and PW. I would have thought you thinned the PW to be that low, but it still got to 35y. do you have averages? or is that averages?

Will depend on the type of launch monitor, which may be messing with the numbers, though even with that, the spin numbers are very odd.

I'm wondering why the worry about lowering ball flight? The numbers shown regarding the pw says 10 yards of rollout.....seems like a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

He could be a flipper (early club release). I am, and I consistently see low spin numbers. You end up sweeping the ball and picking it clean a lot instead of digging and hitting down on it, so you don't get nearly the same backspin. High shot, low spin, less distance. That's my game. :)

Fwiw we have done those tests. Constantly both at HQ as well as THP Events all over the country.
Sweet, did it make it into an article? I'd love to see numbers from a modern test.

Couldn't you use say an 8i to hit that low shot and not have to try to manipulate the shaft lean as much and still retain good spin so you don't have 10-12 yards of roll?

Blades create creativity...

Disclaimer to Nit Picking Trolls: This is my swing not yours, readers please take this as a grain of salt, and its not for everyone at all...

Now you have me thinking about all the shots with blades...chime in on your special blade shots that you execute/d with intent

I hit many shots with blades high over trees with a long pause at the top.
Cuts with taking the club outside on the backswing (my method) slightly open and downswing firm.
Baby draws my usual.
Bigger draws a few weeks I decided to play a bigger draw after starting out at the range that morning I was drawing, so I went with it that day. I played it right and watched it come into pins like a heat seeking missile. I played very well this shot that day. I played this shot for weeks of golf!, through almost the whole bag! I got really good at it. Now its a lot easier to gauge how far to line up right and have it come back near perfect.

Blades are fantastic for shaping shots. Most of my lofts are a tad weak, as with a draw you need height, (even with a fw woods/driver). Hence 7i 160, 6i 170, 5i 180y ...down about 5-7y. Drop/Stop
PW GW have Modus 3 130s shafts they hit high towering draws that drop in stop...nice for approach shots on firm greens.
Blades are great for shots around trees, or through holes in trees. Punch shots under limbs.

Were blades 'really shine' IMO is a low running bump in run shot like Ian Backer Finch did so well, say your at a looong par 5 upon your second shot you see were the pin is located, rip your 3w to the front area of the green apron/opening in line with the pin so your not short sided. From here with a blade 8,9i I can execute a low running bump in run land short of the green and run it up to the pin. Blades do this so well, small head, thin sole, muscle behind the ball. The ball shoots of with the accuracy of a gun, you can aim just at the bunker shoulder withing 2-3 feet play the slope to the pin. Even run it back there if the pins back and you have the open line.
I did own a Miura Tournement 9i that was the most accurate head at this that I have ever tried. Its was the Asian version with a sharp leading edge, that was a bit diggy, so I sold it...I regret it as I should have ground the leading edge and kept it. The ball came off the Miura face so tight it was amazing...I still window shop Miura Tourney Blades on e-bay...

Last edited:
Sorry buddy. Remember I'm a 20 handicapper. Lol.

For me a high floater is a shot I hit to a tight pin location over a trap or water in front guarding the green.

I'm sure it's not a shot in a PGA Tour Pro's bag. Lol.

I bet if you did a video analysis you would see a flip through impact or otherwise a casting move.

But I use this shot when ever I want to get the ball up quickly and stop on a dime. It will usually stop within 1 to 3 feet from the pitch mark or divot.

I also use it to get the ball up over a tree blocking my approach to the green. It will usually fly about ten yards short of my usual distance and I can hit any club from a sandwedge to a 5 iron with decent results. I just drive the club head thru impact which pops the ball up from any lie with lots of back spin.

20 handicapper. Not a shot for experts. Lol.

Johan, This is my go to 60y shot that you can learn it 1-2 baskets of balls, fly anything with confidence, on those half shots, you can also use different lofts to change yardages, I have them written on my shaft with a sharpie pen. When I use a 58 and get it about 65y. Its easy, great distance control, checks up if not spins back. Its a tighter more compact swing...with arms closer to the body you feel you can still swing firm with a smaller swing and not get sloppy. I would urge readers to try this shot..it works so well. Try it with Pw, Gw, Lw

This shot is not for everyone...take it or leave it...

[video=youtube;-N_yr6hKjPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_yr6hKjPk[/video]

He could be a flipper (early club release). I am, and I consistently see low spin numbers. You end up sweeping the ball and picking it clean a lot instead of digging and hitting down on it, so you don't get nearly the same backspin. High shot, low spin, less distance. That's my game. :)
Yeap. You nailed it. Video tape not required. I'm a flipper. Flipity flip.

Couldn't you use say an 8i to hit that low shot and not have to try to manipulate the shaft lean as much and still retain good spin so you don't have 10-12 yards of roll?
The shaft manipulation is an exaggeration to eliminate the flip. Or at least reduce it.

A work in progress. 20 handicappers follow a path not taken by Scratchers.

I also can hit this with irons up to a 5 iron. The 5 goes 200 yards.

I use to flip as well. Have actually started producing a higher ball flight since I started 'pinching' the ball and hitting down on it.

Think people over think height. A lot.

I use to flip as well. Have actually started producing a higher ball flight since I started 'pinching' the ball and hitting down on it.

Think people over think height. A lot.

There's way too many variables to assume he's over thinking height. If he's working with a coach and this is what the coach wants him working on, I'm sure he'll be fine if he sticks with it.

I'm the opposite of you. If I unhinge too early I see peak heights of 140+ feet. The highest I've seen is 156 feet. If I make sure I lead with the handle I see much closer to 90 feet, more spin, and a ton more control.

There's way too many variables to assume he's over thinking height. If he's working with a coach and this is what the coach wants him working on, I'm sure he'll be fine if he sticks with it.

I'm the opposite of you. If I unhinge too early I see peak heights of 140+ feet. The highest I've seen is 156 feet. If I make sure I lead with the handle I see much closer to 90 feet, more spin, and a ton more control.

Basing it off previous comments on the forum regarding "hitting it too high". I don't know what he and his coach are working on. Was more of a general comment on height and us amateurs.

Basing it off previous comments on the forum regarding "hitting it too high". I don't know what he and his coach are working on. Was more of a general comment on height and us amateurs.

No worries. Back to Cavity Back and Blades. Just posted some numbers to demonstrate that I was achieving results which matched my prior cavity back results when comparing distance and spin. Shot shaping and dispersion , ease of ball flight manipulation advantage Blades. Forgiveness advantage Cavity Backs. Distance even in my hands. Stopping the ball on fast greens advantage Blades.

Again. With my swing flaws and 20 hcp

Just my experience.

What has been the experience of others going back and forth between CB vs MB. Right now I'm very happy having purchased the Blades. Every thing I could ask for and more. But I am not sure I'm willing to give up my trusty Cavity Back irons. Don't want to be the guy with the million dollar clubs with the 5 cent swing.

No worries. Back to Cavity Back and Blades. Just posted some numbers to demonstrate that I was achieving results which matched my prior cavity back results when comparing distance and spin. Shot shaping and dispersion , ease of ball flight manipulation advantage Blades. Forgiveness advantage Cavity Backs. Distance even I'm my hands. Stopping the ball on fast greens Blades.

Again. With my swing flaws and 20 hcp

Just my experience.

What has been the experience of others going back and forth. Right now I'm very happy having purchased the Blades. Every thing I could ask for and more. But I am not sure I'm willing to give up my trusty Cavity Back irons. Don't want to be the guy with the million dollar clubs with the 5 cent swing.

I'd be interested to see you CB numbers now that you've advanced your swing in this manner.

I'd be interested to see you CB numbers now that you've advanced your swing in this manner.
Next time I'm on the trackman I will bring in several PW, 8i, 6i, 4i.

All plus one inch stiff shafts . I have the X-16, the X-24 Hot, X2 Hot, and the XR Pro's Cavity Back. Perimeter weighted, SGI, GI, Player GI, and Cup Face technology. Versus MP -5's which I am not licensed to drive.

Should be interesting. Others can post there results as well.

Cavity Back Vs Blades. With THP data to boot.

Okay I know it. I'm a club Ho

Back