Breaking Down Ballyhack Hole #3

Love downhill par 3 greens with a run up area, there's no way I could get a ball to the back left section unless I got lucky on a run up

Additional green pictures
20230521_170843.jpg

20230521_170911.jpg

20230521_170914.jpg

Nearly aced it when we were playing the Goat Track. Need another foot or two up the hill and it would have rolled all the way in

IMG_4667.jpeg

I envision this hole being absolute chaos for THP.

This illustrates exactly why I said if the pin is in the bowl and you're just hoping for middle of the green two putt...good ******* luck
Some of these putts are insane to think about.

Some of these putts are insane to think about.
Middle of the green doesn't do crap on about half the greens here. Distance is key

Hole 3. Long is not an option here.

I hit almost to the back fringe center green and it spun back off the green, so it is all sloped.
Left side of the green has a bit of a bowl which will be tough to get on the right level if it's there.

View attachment 9122020

I really enjoyed this hole and thought, as a group, the par 3s really were excellent at Ballyhack.

As others have said, this hole just depends on where the flag is located. On our first round, we had the flag in the bowl to the left, which was about a 145 shot from the combined white tees. Other than being tucked behind the bunkers, this left several yards left, right, and behind that you could use to funnel down. This round, I hit a nice shot (by my standards), but it landed right on the top of the ridge right of the bowl, kind of hung out there for a few seconds, and eventually rolled back down to the front right of the green. When you get on the wrong sections of these greens, three putts are sometimes the best you can do. The only other thing I would warn about this pin position is that you can fly a ball deeper on that left section of the green to where it won't catch the slope and come back down to the bowl. Get it in the bowl, and birdie is definitely on the menu.

On day two, we had a back right pin position, which played about the same distance but was way harder as anything left will end up in the bowl (and be an impossible severe uphill putt) and anything short can come back down to the front of the green. Par is hard for that flag position, particularly since I hit it left and long which stayed above the bowl on that day.

We played the White tee here at 174 yards on the card, but must have been up a box from the card distance because I know we played at 140-145 yards both days.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this hole and thought, as a group, the par 3s really were excellent at Ballyhack.

As others have said, this hole just depends on where the flag is located. On our first round, we had the flag in the bowl to the left, which was about a 145 shot from the combined white tees. Other than being tucked behind the bunkers, this left several yards left, right, and behind that you could use to funnel down. This round, I hit a nice shot (by my standards), but it landed right on the top of the ridge right of the bowl, kind of hung out there for a few seconds, and eventually rolled back down to the front right of the green. When you get on the wrong sections of these greens, three putts are sometimes the best you can do. The only other thing I would warn about this pin position is that you can fly a ball deeper on that left section of the green to where it won't catch the slope and come back down to the bowl. Get it in the bowl, and birdie is definitely on the menu.

On day two, we had a back right pin position, which played about the same distance but was way harder as anything left will end up in the bowl (and be an impossible severe uphill putt) and anything short can come back down to the front of the green. Par is hard for that flag position, particularly since I hit it left and long which stayed above the bowl on that day.
If the pin was at 145, what was it playing? Did the downhill impact you enough where you took less club?

I think I could safely par this one. Depending on tee box possibly better.

If the pin was at 145, what was it playing? Did the downhill impact you enough where you took less club?
This one really isn't that much downhill compared to say #13. I seem to remember adjusted was just a couple yards different.

Back