Bridgestone J15 Driving Forged Irons

More distance sounds awful. Hahaga. Seems like your really enjoying these dude and that freakin awesome.

Worst thing ever. Hahahaha nah dude it's not a bad thing by any means, I just need to figure out the numbers. Might be making an LM trip soon just to convince myself.

Worst thing ever. Hahahaha nah dude it's not a bad thing by any means, I just need to figure out the numbers. Might be making an LM trip soon just to convince myself.
Good idea. Got to get over the mental hurdle for sure so I'd do whatever it takes to get there. Your good strikes have visibly more zip on them than before.

Well I got on the monitor with these yesterday and yup, the distance is real. Took my 5i and 7i and on well struck shots, the 5i is 190-195 and the 7i is 170-175. If I hit a fade, it'll be more like 185-190 and 165-170. Whoa!

Now I just need to write up a distance card or something so that I don't get stupid on the course haha

Would you recomend these to a 2nd year golfer, 17 handicap. I strike the ball pretty consistentlyn my lost shots are mostly with the putter, so im probably closer to a 10ish handicap without my putter. Current irons are Bio Cells, just looking for something sexier.

Would you recomend these to a 2nd year golfer, 17 handicap. I strike the ball pretty consistentlyn my lost shots are mostly with the putter, so im probably closer to a 10ish handicap without my putter. Current irons are Bio Cells, just looking for something sexier.

I would say that almost 18 cap is definitely on the extreme high of playability for these irons, but then I'm a 14, so what do I know? What I will tell you is that compared to your Bio Cells, you are going to lose a significant amount of forgiveness and launch height, and possibly some distance too depending on your launch conditions (I should say you could actually gain distance too, if you launch the Bios too high or spin them too much). I still firmly believe these are some of the most forgiving and longest players irons out there, but make no mistake, they are still players irons and the smaller heads create a certain demand.

I would highly recommend finding somewhere to hit these at the very least or, even better, get a fitting with them. Bio Cell to J15 DF is a significant change and adjustment.

Love the feedback in this thread Ski. Are your scores dropping with then in the bag?

Love the feedback in this thread Ski. Are your scores dropping with then in the bag?

Not really yet, as I've only had 4 rounds with them so far, but I see it coming. I'm hitting at least a club shorter into every green, which widens the margin for error, and they give me a decent bit of help on my common toe miss, particularly when I address the ball a touch open like I've been doing lately. My last round with these (Ewa Beach in Hawaii), I really started seeing these come into their own. I shot my handicap on a tough course with unfamiliar grass, and I hit several 5 and 6 irons almost exactly how I intended to hit greens from long range. Typically in my experience, once I start getting more dependable with the mid irons, that's usually the time when a new set starts realizing its potential.

Playing 9 after work today at a pretty familiar course, so I'm hoping I'll have so good things to report in here afterwards.

do the bridgestone test drive program if you are considering these. i don't know much about the denver area, but i'm in orlando and while you would think lots of snowbird and other travelers coming to play golf here = lots of big box stores with a robust inventory, you won't find these to hit in any retailer.

i don't know anything about your bio cells, but i know how these perform vs how they look. they perform like a gi iron, meaning there is lots of forgiveness and distance, but they look like a player's iron meaning they are smaller (relatively speaking) in size. there's a bit more blade length than a traditional player's cavity iron, and a little help in a thicker sole, but they look slimmer than they perform. so if you feel less than confident with a smaller-headed iron in your hand, i don't think you'll like these.

BUT, if you like that aggressive shape, these are, in my experience, the best irons in this category i have ever tried. no, i haven't tried many. but with all of the amazing irons out right now, and being a self-proclaimed iron wh*re, i won't take these out of my bag for fear of hurting my scores.

i have shot the best rounds of my life with these irons. i have so much confidence in them. yesterday from 173 i pulled 7i out of just a bit of rough, with a slightly elevated green with bunker trouble left and right. i hit it out toward the toe by about 1/2 - 3/4 of a ball so obviously not a good strike, and it finished DEAD ON MY LINE and pin high. stupid stuff that shouldn't happen, but that's what these irons do for me. they hide so many contact flaws, and they just perform.

i just read back through this whole thread.

i adore these irons. i had a brief ponder affair with the apex cf16, and still may pick up a set after the new line is released, but i really can't imagine anything replacing my current sticks. i wish more people would try them because i think they fit a really broad range of handicaps.

almost 2 full years with these. a little tinkering along the way, but i do still love them. i did the unthinkable and purchased a different set of irons that will be more forgiving than these, but i'm going to hang onto these for a little while just in case. they really the best set of irons i have ever played. so forgiving, great spin into greens, workable, excellent distance, great feel, sleek lines, a home run design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as some of you know, I'm currently pondering a little more forgiveness than these and looking at some options, but I'd like to give a few more thoughts on these because I still firmly believe they are great irons for a wide variety of players who like a smaller profile.

I gained about 6-7 yards on average 2 weeks ago in a fitting with JPX 900 Forged irons. That was due to both increased forgiveness (mishits went further, and didn't drag the average down as much) and smash factor. However, both are to be expected given the design of the 900F's. Much has been made of boron there and getting a very thin face which equals high ball speeds, and the clubs simply have a larger head and cavity so more forgiveness is to be expected. Also, the JPX 900 Forged lofts are about a degree stronger across the board, which has the effect of likely 2-3 of those 6-7 yards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the differences aren't because the J15 DF is a bad iron, they are because the 900F is really a textbook example of a "crossover" iron, whereas the J15 DF is firmly a players iron. When we take the discussion in that context, I still feel confident in saying that the J15 DF is one of the longest and most forgiving true players irons you can find. It doesn't bail me out when I make a bad swing as well as the 900F's or (especially) 900HM's would, but when I make a marginal swing (catch the toe a bit, a couple grooves low, catch it a shade heavy, etc), the DF's give me great assistance. And with the Steelfiber shafts in there and the hidden hollow cavity, I get great distance for an iron of this profile. Let's not forget that I gained almost 10 yards with these over my previous Srixon Z Stars, which were very much a distance iron! And the added benefit of these is that when you need to make them turn, it's very easy to do with the smaller head.

Anyways, just wanted to lay that out there and explain that these are still fantastic irons and the performance is fantastic when you fit it within the constraints of a small head. Playing on Saturday, I hit some fantastic shots with these, including a tight controlled fade around a tree to 6 feet and a few 5 irons off the tee for position that were hit beautifully.

I'm late to the party but looking forward to putting these in play. Coming from my j40 cbs, which I adore, I'm probably chasing waterfalls.

Edit; over fours years later, still in the bag. These irons were ahead of their time and are simply excellent.

Last edited:
Back