BRING IT with OGIO Journey Thread

What to do with these...
9b24787f40693a7045384d4ef6bb5337.jpg

It's 'next Friday'.

I saw some pretty sweet Ogio apparel in the Grandaddy thread...what’s the story??? I’m pretty happy they’re back in the game!

I saw some pretty sweet Ogio apparel in the Grandaddy thread...what’s the story??? I’m pretty happy they’re back in the game!

Yup. Nate dropped quite a bit. Some cool stuff for sure.

It's 'next Friday'.

Been refreshing their page all day. Am I missing something or get the dates wrong? I'm not impatient....no wait....yeah I am. The stuff they got at the Grandaddy looked amazing - anxious to hear more.

What happens Friday after next?

Game the crap out of those DW

So, I've been meaning to post some follow-up thoughts for a few weeks now, and have started to do so at least 10 times without finishing.

The Equipment

I've mentioned the backpack, travel bag, and stand bag earlier, but didn't say much about the Mutant here. This was the first time I've traveled by air with golf clubs, so I didn't really know what to expect aside from what I read here before the trip. The Mutant swallowed the Shadow Fuse whole. There is plenty of room inside the main compartment for a bigger bag or lots of extras; you can easily exceed 50 lb weight limits with this thing. I think I could've packed everything I needed for this trip in the Mutant itself, but that didn't seem right given Ogio told me to Bring It!

The main compartment has a single strap inside for securing the bag in place and 2 external pockets on either side that were good for my shoes. The top third of the bag has thicker padding than the rest. It's probably sufficient as is to protect the clubheads, but I wrapped a beach towel around them inside of the rain hood because I'm nuts. I didn't use a Stiff Arm or the like and just removed the driver and FW heads, flipped the shafts, and left the heads in the head covers inside the rain hood. The bottom of the bag has an internal plastic piece that extends up the back side a bit to which all of the hardware is attached. The wheels roll smoothly and make moving this thing around a breeze when loaded.

When this thing emerged from the plastic curtains and out onto the carousel back in New Orleans, it really stood out with the green. It is a visually sharp bag.

The Travel

I had an 8 am flight out of New Orleans on Friday, so I left the house around 4:45 to get there by 6. This meant a quick early breakfast at home and required refueling during the layover in Atlanta (no Bojangles, so I had to settle for Popeye's). This would cause problems later once I arrived in Daytona.

The orange bag was a stand-out; not many others as bright or unconventional. I did find the extension handle a little wobbly trying to steer it when I slid the backpack down on it. Otherwise, it performed flawlessly. The wheels are self-lubricating -- the bag rolls very smoothly. You can let go of the handle briefly, if necessary, and it will keep up with you for a few steps. The quality seems top notch.

Hat tip to Nate for the pro traveler's tip to get on the standby list out of Daytona on Sunday. There were 2 Delta flights out to Atlanta -- at 2 and 5:30. He was on the 2 pm one, and I was on the 5:30 flight. We got to the airport around 12:45 on Sunday; I was looking at a long wait in a dead terminal if I hadn't gotten the call. My name is fairly popular, so when it went out across the loud speaker, lots of heads turned in anticipation only to be disappointed when I stood up to approach the gate.

This saved me about 6 hours and meant getting home by 7 pm instead of 1 am. Fatigue didn't set in all weekend until I sat down in the seat on the last flight. I'm not sure I would've made it driving home after midnight!

Kudos to Delta in Atlanta, too, for getting my clubs off the first plane and onto my connection leaving less than 40 minutes later. The new flight home was already boarding from a different terminal before we got to the arrival gate. I didn't think I'd see them again that day.

The Hats

The infamous 'pink' hat is the Shadow Badge Mesh hat. It is actually red; my camera just sucks. This one is lightweight and very comfortable.

The gray one is the Shadow Badge Delta hat, and the one that stood out to me on the web site the most before the trip. JB had the black one and mentioned it being a bit bulgy in places, which is what I thought too. It also looked a bit tall on my head initially, but I think I can make it work.

The blue one is Alpha Icon Snap Back hat. The flat bill is a style that just doesn't look right on my head, but my 7-yr old liked it. Nate wears it well!

The Venues

Both courses are outstanding, obviously. The clubhouse at The Conservatory is ridiculous. I thought I would like the Ocean Course better, but I found The Conservatory more enjoyable. And, I say that trying not to let the quality of the golf I played at each one bias the feeling. I thought The Conservatory guided you off the tee more so than the Ocean Course did, and had a bit more variety, too. The tee shots on Ocean #5 and #16 are not my favorite shapes, but I'd sure like to try them again.

The Food

The 'problem' I mentioned earlier was too much food. JB and Nate needed lunch (a late one!) after picking me up at the airport; had I thought of that, I would've just skipped the Popeye's! We stopped at Bayne's BBQ in Flagler Beach, after some indecision. Growing up near the BBQ capital of the world (Lexington, NC), I'm not one to pass up some good BBQ. I was tempted by their "North Carolina Chopped Sandwich", but it was topped with that vile eastern-NC style vinegar-based sauce and not a Lexington-style dip with a sweeter vinegar/ketchup mix. The pulled pork alternative had a great smoky taste to it. Outstanding.

So, what do you do later for dinner when everyone is still stuffed from lunch (or lunches)? Go to the nearest Italian place with calzones the size of footballs, of course! I felt so bad not eating more than a third of that thing, and then just abandoning it in the condo fridge the next day. It was good, what little I ate of it.

The Company

It was obvious from the jump that JB and Nate are very passionate about what they do. They also have an encyclopedic recall of past golf equipment and its performance aspects that is impressive. Perhaps more impressive is how conversant JB is with user names here! This scientist has no business sense whatsoever, so it was a bit of a crash course in marketing, as well. Good thing there were no tests; I'd have flunked.

Thanks for letting me tag along for the weekend!

Last edited:
There's a picture of Nate on the tee in the event gallery that this goes well with...

ec5d93241f2efd4a71b56f6a77dc9373.jpg

I can't leave this one out of this thread, either.

This was my favorite shot of the weekend, a 50+ ft birdie on 17 at The Conservatory.

I played some bad golf on Saturday at the Ocean Course, but turned it around enough on Sunday to salvage things a bit. This one was a good capper to the trip.
7711460392074424e61d9a0fb750ba9d.jpg

Back