Budget shaft options

Islander

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking into replacing the shafts in my woods, but don't want to break the bank doing so. Here are the shafts I am looking into the; Aldila NV, UST Proforce AXIVCore Blue, and Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Platinum.

Anyone have any experience/ comments about these shafts. I am looking for something that will give my ball a more piercing flight. Also looking for something will lower torque than the Graphite Designs stock shaft that is in my driver.

I have played every one of them in the list. Is there a place that you can try a few of them out? Im not sure making a shaft change without trying it or atleast an online fitting is a good idea in my opinion.

I have played every one of them in the list. Is there a place that you can try a few of them out? Im not sure making a shaft change without trying it or atleast an online fitting is a good idea in my opinion.

Thats the problem, I don't really have anywhere to test them out. I have done a few online shaft fittings and these were the results from one of them. On shaftfit.com they suggest the Graphalloy, but I don't know if they consider other brands so I am leary on that. I know internet shaft fittings isn't going to be great, but they are giving me an idea.

Thats the problem, I don't really have anywhere to test them out. I have done a few online shaft fittings and these were the results from one of them. On shaftfit.com they suggest the Graphalloy, but I don't know if they consider other brands so I am leary on that. I know internet shaft fittings isn't going to be great, but they are giving me an idea.

I believe they have PX on there as well.

I believe they have PX on there as well.

But that takes the budget out of my budget shaft search :act-up: No doubt the PX or Miyazaki shafts would be amazing, but I can't drop that kind of money right now. What was your impressions on the Graphalloy and Aldila shafts JB?

I did not care for the Aldila much for my swing, but many on here raved about it. We sent a sampling of Aldila shafts out to THP members a few months back for testing. The Graphalloy fit better, but it does get up in the air for me rather quickly.

I can speak directly to the NV and Prolaunch Platinum, I have both in 3wds. The NV is lower launching, the Prolaunch Platinum is mid launch and had better dispersion for me. The Prolaunch has a stiffer feel in the same flex, with more butt stiff feel to it. The NV is a bit smoother feeling to me.

What are you tyring to accomplish with the change, high or lower launch, softer or harder feel etc ?

Looking to lower my launch angle a bit, and reduce the balloon shots. Just getting a consistent shot flight and try to eliminate the ballooning shots, because nothing is worse than making a nice swing just to see the ball climb and climb and not go anywhere. But the biggest thing to to get a shaft with lower torque, which they all have.

I can speak directly to the NV and Prolaunch Platinum, I have both in 3wds. The NV is lower launching, the Prolaunch Platinum is mid launch and had better dispersion for me. The Prolaunch has a stiffer feel in the same flex, with more butt stiff feel to it. The NV is a bit smoother feeling to me.

Thanks Chilly

Of the shafts you are talking about I have only played the NV 65 but the ProLuanch Red which is what I am hitting right now with good results maybe a shaft to consider as well. It did bring the flight down slightly and is giving me a good roll out as well with a lower torque to boot. The NV is smoother then the ProLaunch but the results have been better with the Prolaunch.

I have no idea if the VooDoo I tested is in the same budget catagory, but during the testing my numbers were very nice on the R9 head. At the course I felt it was a bit too boardy and switched to another driver, however I picked it back up a couple weeks ago and am now bombing it, for me, again. Much more controlled flight for me with a mid to high flight, but I tee really high anyway.

Of the shafts you are talking about I have only played the NV 65 but the ProLuanch Red which is what I am hitting right now with good results maybe a shaft to consider as well. It did bring the flight down slightly and is giving me a good roll out as well with a lower torque to boot. The NV is smoother then the ProLaunch but the results have been better with the Prolaunch.

I have been looking into the Reds. Seems like it would also do what I want it to do. What does everyone mean about the NV's being smoother? Do you really feel much of a difference?

For what it's worth, I never cared for the NV. It seemed stiffer than most stiffs (if that makes sense). On the other hand, I really liked the NVS, but it was a higher launch than I wanted. I had a Prolaunch Red in a Ping G10 until I sold it this week. That shaft is designed to be a low ball flight (Red = Low, Platinum = Mid, Blue = High) and I saw that for sure.

I have one more shaft in the mix. Does anyone know much about the UST ProForce V2 Tour Flight shaft? I think I have it narrowed it down to this and the NV, but don't know much about this shaft. Thanks

Back