Bugs & Gnats on the Course

init.6

Always Sunny
Reaction score
Handicap
12.8GHIN
The most recent thread I’ve found for this is 10 years old, so I wanted to ask about your bug/gnat repellent use on the golf course. I have a spray that I spritz on the top-side of my cap but it hasn’t been working. In fact, I feel like the spray is actually attracting these little buggers to my head during the worst possible time—usually when I’m putting. I had a bit of success using rubber repellent bracelets at one time but these too have stopped working for me this year. What do you use to keep the gnats away?

Edit: I probably should have specified, the repellent I’m using that is not working is a Lemon-Eucalyptus based one by the brand REPEL.

I use Bullfrog (sunscreen and bug repellant) and it keeps most bugs away except for gnats. I haven't found anything that keeps all of them away

I don't smoke them myself, but burning cigars seem to work. I just try to stand by the cigar-smoker whenever I can. I have also used a lit punk stick (available on line and at your local hardware store) and have tried dryer sheets under my hat and/or tucked into my collar with some success, as well.

1621864355060.png

I just ignore than as much as possible. I think it's going to be a big tick year in Indiana so I will be staying out of the weeds to chase balls this year.

Try Bug Soother:

Last edited:
Up here in Maine, Deep Woods Off is a required essential. Black flies and mosquitoes will suck you dry!! 😡

This is strictly anecdotal but , when I was still drinking, I found that I was less of a bug magnet when I drank gin. It may or may not have been the quantity of gin.

This is strictly anecdotal but , when I was still drinking, I found that I was less of a bug magnet when I drank gin. It may or may not have been the quantity of gin.
well now i have a reason to test it out. Thanks! (y)

well now i have a reason to test it out. Thanks! (y)
You are a man of science so we know you'll give it rigorous consideration and study.

I've got an assortment of remedies in the bag. Some home-made stuff from a local landscaping/flower shop in town seems to do the trick most of the time.

Buggins or even Absorbine is in there too.

I am the bug magnet of the group. Absolutely brutal for me while the bugs don't bother others. I too try to use the REPEL deet-free Lemon-Eucalyptus based one but it just doesn't do much. Gnats are nasty. I've tried the full-on OFF Deep Woods stuff and still have problems on some days out.

Even when it's mid 80s and humid I'm the one person out there wearing pants and a Columbia P.F.G. long sleeve under my polo shirt even though I hate hot weather and I'm dripping in sweat. Unfortunately, no exposed skin (arms and legs) is the best bug deterrent I have found yet.

Even bugs think gin is gross, good to know! :ROFLMAO:

Avon Skin So Soft works great.

Gnats suck. For me, I just tolerate them most of the time. When my step-daughter was in marching band, all of the kids and a lot of the parents used dryer sheets under their hat or shirt. And the area we were in was like gnat central.

i use the vanilla extract behind the ears. that seems to work decently for me.

It really does, I need to find some of that stuff again. It keeps the bugs away and doesn't eat everything it touches like DEET does.

Our course is thick with flying bugs around all the ponds right now - clouds of them. We don't have a lot of mosquitoes, but there are a few mixed in and skeeters love me - seems like they can find me from a mile away. Every so often I get tore up pretty good and then itch for three days afterward.

Try Bud Soother:

Man. I thought either Budweiser came out with a new beer I hadn’t heard of or you were talking medical.

Can’t say I’m not disappointed, 🤣.

Oof. I seldom disagree with you. I think it works good on citified skeeters.

I grew up with country skeeters. We did a test where half of dad’s upper torso was covered in 25% DEET. The other half in Skin So Soft.

Haha. I’m glad I wasn’t voluntold for this one. Zero bites on the DEET side, dad slapping and running for cover on the Skin So Soft side.

I hate DEET. It makes me half sick every time I put it on. But there are some serious skeeter issues where I grew up due to a constant swamp 50 yards from my house and the local river coming out of its banks 340 days a year.

I now live in the suburbs. My skeeters are polite and likely repelled by Skin So Soft. But the big as ones that’ll team up to carry you off pterodactyl style? Go DEET.

Now as the mozzie , said to the skin , ‘ l can my teeth into this ‘

Australia , home of Airborne lnsect ‘ Nuisance dailyus’ , Mosquitos , March flys , Horse flys , European wasp, etc etc..

Use a multitude or personal repellent and atmospheric sprays etc , along with the hand salute , for those not familiar with this , dominant hand swatting said airborne villain away from general personal space or from attacking exposed skin, during warmer weather , happens as often as intake of breathe lol.

Aerogard , a very family brand down here , and Bushmans the same . Don’t know if they are available os. And would reckon the variants and species of each individuals country would illicit same behaviour swipe lol
👋🏻👍😀

I don't smoke them myself, but burning cigars seem to work. I just try to stand by the cigar-smoker whenever I can. I have also used a lit punk stick (available on line and at your local hardware store) and have tried dryer sheets under my hat and/or tucked into my collar with some success, as well.
I also use the dryer sheet in my hat and one in my pants pocket. Seems to work for the most part but not 100%

Back