Buying clubs without trying them

I have bought many clubs here. Mostly, I've been happy with them. I bought my irons at a ridiculously low price based upon the reviews here. My bag is filled with MarketPlace clubs as is my music room!!! I've bought off of e-bay, again based upon the reviews here. I depend upon the honest reviews here. I also try out clubs at golf stores when I can.

After my luck with the Wilson Staff Fybrids I bought based on reviews and price, I purchased an Adams Speedline LP 3W for under 40 bucks.

Just got back from the driving range. I am 2-for-2, and quite happy. I think I am going to stop buying clubs for a while and learn how to hit the ones I have....

I can't afford to buy clubs locally and have them fit. I purchased my pi5s online and had the lies adjusted. I'm not sure how accurate the lie board was though...

I have bought many times without trying... So far I have had zero issues. However, I would not be surprised if my good luck runs out in the future. I am definately going to try/get fitted for my next set of irons. So far I have only had two sets and both sets were just given to me.

I bought every club I own before hitting them, dumb probably but im happy with every club I own. I recently just got my irons and at $500 it was very risky to buy before try but I think I did enough research to convince myself they were good irons and low and behold, I absolutely love them.

Like someone said before. It really depends on the club, feel like irons and wedges would be safer bets than drivers and putters.

Prior to me joining THP...no I never did. After Joining THP... I have, but first I search for reviews and ask questions.

I would never buy an entire set of irons or wedges without giving them some testing first but I have with drivers and 3 woods. Some have worked out and some have not, but it is usually something on clearance and the lost is not great. I did just pick up a Cleveland Classic 310 to test out the Miyazaki Black - it has an upside (love the shaft and it is almost perfect for me) and a downside (head was only a 9.5 and I need a 10.5 for sure. This thing is a low spin monster and the 10.5 would benefit me more I think).

I think with drivers you can look at the head and if it fits your eye it has a shot. May not be the correct shafts - but may still be playable. If I bought a set of irons and they dig I would be screwed with my swing.

There isn't a head/shaft combination in my bag right now that I hit hit before I bought it. Including the putter. However, I did a tremendous amount of research an comparability shopping.

I do not recommend going this route.

Yep. I'm in the same boat. A lot of the clubs that I play aren't exactly main stream. They may be variations of main stream, but it's not like you can walk into the box store and hit the exact one.

Every single club in my bag was purchased without hitting it first. A lot of trial and error, research, time and hitting various similar things went into it.

My biggest piece of advice if you are going this route is to buy cheap and buy used. You're going to have some duds or things that aren't exactly right.

I know it's something I said I don't want to continue but it may happen in the off season with some irons.

After what I witnessed yesterday never again will I buy unfit clubs

Hey!! You just sold me your old set of Taylormade R11 Irons and I wasn't able to hit them. Isn't that hypocritical!! Just kidding. While I was unable to hit the R11s, I did hit the Burner 2.0 and was told by the guy at E.W. that they were very similar clubs. I also did a lot of homework on them since I couldn't hold them in hand. To be honest, the only reason I did it without actually hitting the exact same club is due to some things that other THPers told me about these clubs and the great deal I was getting on them.

Thanks F51!!

Prior to me joining THP...no I never did. After Joining THP... I have, but first I search for reviews and ask questions.

I am the same way, after I joined I have bought clubs that had unbelievable deals, I will always read the reviews here first and check feedback.

I've only ever had the chance to demo drivers and putters that I've purchased new - just not a lot of places around here demo iron sets, especially on grass. I never have bought a brand new iron set but I did put in as much research as possible on the stuff I've bought to try and fit it to my game. Recently picked up a Mizuno iron set on here and am pleased so far, must be lucky.

I've done it before and only the set of Adams CMB irons were a bad choice. Good clubs but I ordered them with the wrong shaft. Thankfully TGW took them back and refunded me in full. I ordered my Amp Cell fairway without having hit one, have just ordered a Nike Covert Tour fairway without having seen one in the flesh. I know what I like and have seen enough pictures and read enough good reviews to know I'll like it.

I purchased my irons online adjusted to my length and lie after hitting them and several others @ GG. I purchased my driver based only on the review thread here and the price I was able to purchase one for....and I think I caught lightening there. My fairway woods, wedges, and putter were all purchased from people I know who bought them and couldn't adjust to them and I was able to give them a good test drive.

I usually buy online or used, but only after at least hitting the club at a demo day, from a friend, or on a launch monitor (preferably). The sole exception to this was when I bought my R11S, but that's because I was out a driver cause my old one busted. Got lucky on that one being the best driver I've played so far.

My new irons are do to arrive at the house today. Used their "E-fit" system or some such...

First new clubs I have bought in 18 years, last set came from K-Mart for under $90. (Bag and all)

Current set was a hand me down, another box store set.

What have I got to loose? (30 day return policy)

My younger brother bought a set online last year and was "fitted" over the phone. He loves his set.

I'll let you know how they work out shortly.

Back to the OP: I've purchased clubs many times before without buying them and feel I got lucky with how they have worked for me. There is something about trying the ones you want that makes it much better. THP has done an amazing job by providing countless reviews on clubs from every OEM. I would probably never by clubs again without trying them, but that's not for sure.

I will never buy before I try again. It just has not worked for me in the past.

I've never bought clubs without hitting them first, along with hours of reading reviews....but that's just how I am with big $ purchases

The only club I have purchased without trying was my currently used TM RBZ 4 wood. I used to use a RBZ 3 wood before changing over to the 4 which is why I was comfortable purchasing it without trying it. Otherwise I like to have the club in my hand first.

I only have two clubs in the bag that I hit or held before I bought them. That's my driver and putter. I bought the 3-wood and hybrid based on what I thought of the driver. I bought the irons & shafts based on recommendations on THP. I've had Vokey wedges before so I knew I liked them. I could give you a list of clubs that I bought online that I liked but I could give you a longer list of clubs that were busts. I'm batting 1.000 on irons. About .750 on FWs and hybrids. About .500 on drivers. I've completely whiffed on wedges and putters.

NEVER bought a club sight unseen. I just don't have the sorta discretionary income to blow money like that. My dad does this ALL the time and it drives me nuts!

NEVER bought a club sight unseen. I just don't have the sorta discretionary income to blow money like that. My dad does this ALL the time and it drives me nuts!

It depends really, if you are bidding on ebay for items you can sometimes get really good deals so your really risking that much money.

Back