Buying clubs without trying them

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
OK, so I'm not exactly in the market right now for anything new, but wanted to get some thoughts on buying clubs online without trying them. I'm seeing a lot of great things on here about Hopkins wedges, but is it really a good idea to buy them on faith? I've also had the same thought about the for sale boards on here. Everything I've heard, and my gut, says to try before buying, but I also hate to pass up a good deal. What are all of your thoughts?

I do it quite often. I am usually able to tell by the head design whether it will work for me or not.

Hopkins also has a 30 money back guarantee.

For me it depends. I bought my wedges without trying them first because there is nowhere (aside from THP events) that I can truly put a wedge through the paces prior to purchasing it. Thanks to THP reviews and suggestions I went with the J40s and I love them. On the other hand, I wouldn't ever buy a driver head without using it first since the weight, feel, and launch can vary so much.

I blind bought the Hopkins, though I knew from pictures that I'd be cool with the shape. Weighting and feel is a bit different, but nothing that I wasn't able to adjust to.

I've never bought a club without demo'ing it on the course first. I'm all about sure things, not shots in the dark.

I buy everything online because it saves a ton of money. I usually know what I like...

Usually hit everything at Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy then order from my connect. I usually save 25% by ordering from an associate.

I usually regret it more often than not. Irons would be safest though, then wedges, then driver/putter.. which I wouldn't buy without trying.

Buying clubs without trying them

If you buy any club without hitting it first, your mad. I stupidly did it once. Cost me 300 quid!!!!

If you buy any club without hitting it first, your mad. I stupidly did it once. Cost me 300 quid!!!!

Depends. Rockbottomgolf.com had the Wilson Staff Fybrid RS hybrids on-sale for less than thirty bucks each. I love them, but even if they were not for me, they would have been great to have in a spare set of clubs I keep at my cabin.

It turns out that I LOVE them though, so I am not complaining.

I would never do it with a driver though.

I had a very expensive mistake on a driver I picked up online but I also never tried my Razr X hybrids and love them. It's not something I'm going to continue to do.

On a full retail club, probably not. However, my wife and I have both bought numerous clubs from the discount sites with some pretty great success. I bought my current putter (Cleveland Classic #7) from RBG for $40. We bought my wife's favorite hybrid (Ping G15) from golfdiscount for $39. My hybrids (Cleveland Mashie +) were $40 each. We've had a few clubs that didn't work out, but if you're getting top-quality new clubs (albeit 12 months behind the curve) for 50% or more off, you can afford a dud every once in a while.

Also, since I take a long, upright club, nobody will have something in my specs for wedges - I end up ordering those anyway. I will say though that I prefer to handle the model I'm going to buy in the store first to get a look at how it lies on the ground, and how the head shape is. That's one reason I've not pulled the trigger on Hopkins or Scor - I'd at least like to see one in real life before I commit to buying.

I bought my Ci11's from the WTS/WTB thread here and had never hit them or seen one, once they were adjusted for me I love them.

The Hopkins wedge I bought based on what others were saying about them. With the 30day guarantee it made it that much easier. With only one round with it so far I believe I will be keeping it in the bag.

I bought a FGP bronze from Jskittles and never rolled it and I am getting really comfortable with it after a little practice.

I think buying with out seeing or hitting is a personal preference. If you know what fits your game, club type, looks and what specs you need then I think if you get a good deal then go for it. I'm not sure I would buy a driver blind but irons, putter yeah I will do again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I always try to at least address irons and woods but wedges I would buy without swinging just based on head shape and grind.

After getting back in to the game last fall I bought my A12OS iron set in the off season online base solely on online feedback... Big mistake! I hated them, mostly because I couldn't get used to the 4,5,6 hybrid setup... Long story short, I sold them on ebay for nearly what I paid, and spent an afternoon trying out all different sets of irons before settling on Razr X's.

Usually hit everything at Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy then order from my connect. I usually save 25% by ordering from an associate.

I try to do the same. Demo or check out the product in the stores, then go home and see what kind of deal I can dig up.

I have tried every club in my bag before I bought them, except my wedges.

I generally try to demo clubs before buying but I bought my SCOR wedges without trying them out. It worked out and I really like them. If they were available in stores I probably would of demoed them but I went off the reviews from THPer's and went for it.

There isn't a head/shaft combination in my bag right now that I hit hit before I bought it. Including the putter. However, I did a tremendous amount of research an comparability shopping.

I do not recommend going this route.

I bought my 3 wood without hitting it and it's a bomber for me.

I've been going through some swing problems so I haven't been hitting that or my driver well but it's not the clubs fault as I wasn't hitting anything well although that's starting to improve. Bombed a couple of 3 woods out there a good 250 yards at sea level.

Actually the only clubs I hit before buying is my putter and hybrids but I do really like my bag

Half the irons I've bought I've been fitted for, the others I had fit to me after buying when I found them for a great deal online.

Drivers and woods though, I've never been fit for so I usually end up going through several shafts before I end up happy with them.

Taptaptaparoo

I'm with most guys. When it comes to irons, drivers, fairway woods or hybrids....99% of the time I'm hitting a demo first. Good example, I bought a 3 wood and 2 hybrids without first hitting them. I feel I got lucky as both of the hybrids, after getting them and hitting them, I would have bought anyway. The 3 wood on the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of. I LIKE it, and I hit it really good, but it's not my favorite and I don't like it off the deck much. So I find myself hitting my 2 hybrid way more than my 3 wood, except off the tee. I smoke that 3 wood off the tee, just not off the deck.
I would have no problem buying wedges, or putters (some putters) online before hitting them. I'm ok with buying after reading solid reviews from the guys on here.

After what I witnessed yesterday never again will I buy unfit clubs

I used to buy all my clubs without trying them or getting fit. I will never do that again.
Since getting fit for clubs that I have tried, my handicap has dropped from 10 down to 4.
Now, not all of the drop is due to the trials and fitting (I do practice and play often), but I give a lot of the credit to doing so.

I've done this lots. I have yet to regret it. However, once I decide I need a new club whatever I get I will stick with and work out any issues with it. The Metal X DART is probably the only club I've purchased since joining THP. So, unless I find a truly sick deal on a club I know got rave reviews I'll be hitting clubs before making purchases in the future.

Back