Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I've now had the Apex Pro 19s in the bag since early Dec 2018 (Thank you GRANDADDY!) and I've recently started to have a wandering eye, so naturally it's time to reflect back on my time with them.
One thing to know about me is that I will never be considered a "ballstriker" or even a good iron player because I am extremely shallow and even tend to have a positive AoA with irons somehow. This gives me pretty unique launch conditions with plenty of launch and zero spin so the more speed the better for me.

Right from the start these irons blew me away. Beautiful forged package with a surprising amount of tech jammed in. I remember my first shot with them was a 5 iron on #17 Dye Course at Hideaway and instantly I knew we were going to get along just fine. Powerful feel, plenty of speed and height, and amazing to look down on. Since then I've gone through hot streaks and cold streaks with them but every time I pull one out of the bag I'm excited to hit it. The Pro 19 AW has easily been my best scoring club since the beginning. Point and shoot, hop'n'stop.
Conventional wisdom would probably suggest that a lousy swinger like myself should be in something a little more forgiving. During a particularly brutal cold streak I went out and bought a Smoke Apex 19 Combo Set with the Apex 5-7 irons and they just didn't work for me. I struggled to align them properly (I blame the offset but who knows) and I seemed to lose any semblance of distance control with them for some reason. So back to the Pro 19s.

What you ultimately find with the Pro 19s is an iron that punches above it's weight class. The speed coming out of the cup face irons 5-7 is right up there with other larger irons like JPX 919 Forged or P760 yet the profile uniquely maintains enough spin that they are functional for me. The short irons are as good as any other forged players cavity with an amazing feel and a beautiful look at address.

As far as negatives go I've only got a few after 1.5 years:
1) I'd prefer an aesthetic that didn't use badges or stickers
2) A few of the irons have browny-yellow stains from the sticker epoxy leaking out.
3) Chrome finish is peeling off a couple of them.
4) I needed to adjust the loft gap between the 8i and the 7i in order to maintain consistent gapping. I now have a 2* gap there and it works great.

I say I've had a wandering eye lately but honestly a large part of me is considering picking up a fresh set of Pro 19s. I'm not convinced that any other iron of the same size can outperform it.

I play the Elevate 95’s in mine. Only fitting I had was a Titliest fitting that was free. I took the numbers they recommended and went with the Apex because I hit them better. For me I’d prefer a lower ball flight at times. Part of that is my swing, well most of that is my swing. ;) For that reason I’m also interested in some Nippon shafts. That said I’ve worked my way from a miss 20’s down to a 12 HC. If I didn’t make so many mental mistakes I would easily be single digit. The clubs perform great. That said I have a club with a Elevate Tour that I’ve had little to no success with. Granted it’s a 5 iron and again I’m sure my swing is the issue. My ball flight with it is opposite. Low and not good distance at all. I’ve actually taken it out of the bag where a hybrid has fit in nicely. I believe the Elevate 95 is supposed to work for the masses. I play stiff at plus 1 and really they have worked very well. Only reason I want to try the Nippon is for a lower ball flight. Actually I’m getting a fitting on Thursday so I will find out.
Thank you ApexFan!

Tried and true method to get your 4 iron to really launch: buy a 4 hybrid and take them both to the range. The apex 4 hybrid was an easy to launch, but the iron had better dispersion left to right for me, still with a nice penetrating flight, just not quite as high. Now the battle really begins.

Finally after a couple fittings landed on the apex 19 with KBS $ taper combo and ordered them today. Big improvements overall from my CF16's with KBS tour v that I'm currently using. Hopefully the Michigan season goes on for a while so I can get them out on the courses.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any questions about the Apex Pro 19s? I'd be happy to answer!

Well after a lot of thought about my fitting the other day I will not be getting new clubs. While the Honma was pretty awesome, my Apex 19's are just as awesome. Even with the wrong shaft in them Ive whittled my HC down to an 11 currently. It could be much better if I didn't make so many mistakes during my round. All of which are player related, not club. What I will be doing is buying the shafts and having my clubs built to my specs. So until a new Apex line comes out my Apex 19's are stuck with me. Oh and I dont have to come up with a new screen name. :love:

Well after a lot of thought about my fitting the other day I will not be getting new clubs. While the Honma was pretty awesome, my Apex 19's are just as awesome. Even with the wrong shaft in them Ive whittled my HC down to an 11 currently. It could be much better if I didn't make so many mistakes during my round. All of which are player related, not club. What I will be doing is buying the shafts and having my clubs built to my specs. So until a new Apex line comes out my Apex 19's are stuck with me. Oh and I dont have to come up with a new screen name. :love:
So you just want modus 120s in your Apex then? Sounds prudent. I never felt like your current shafts were a good fit. You're okay in my book, StillApexFan. (y)

So you just want modus 120s in your Apex then? Sounds prudent. I never felt like your current shafts were a good fit. You're okay in my book, StillApexFan. (y)
Yep thats it. Im not sure what the shaft change will cost me but the shafts can be had for around $250 for a set. Not to mention the ball speeds off the Apex is right there with the Honma. (y)

New release for Apex irons coming soon? I have also seen some hints of an x-forged release.
No idea but I have heard some rumblings. I think the 19's are still selling pretty well based on what Ive seen here.

Yep thats it. Im not sure what the shaft change will cost me but the shafts can be had for around $250 for a set. Not to mention the ball speeds off the Apex is right there with the Honma. (y)
Normally I'd suggest selling your used set, and just buying a used set with modus 120S, instead of the time and money to get them reshafted. I can't remember what length you're playing though, and most used ones have those damn elevates.

I’ve had my Apex 19’s for a month now. Great clubs....so glad I made the investment. Got the 6-AW and ordered the 3,4 & 5. Can’t say enough about these clubs.

I’ve had my Apex 19’s for a month now. Great clubs....so glad I made the investment. Got the 6-AW and ordered the 3,4 & 5. Can’t say enough about these clubs.
It only gets better from my experience.

It only gets better from my experience.

One thing that I didn’t mention was predictable distance....No surprise 10 extra yards to be found here....

Normally I'd suggest selling your used set, and just buying a used set with modus 120S, instead of the time and money to get them reshafted. I can't remember what length you're playing though, and most used ones have those damn elevates.
They are +1. I may buy a new set or used if I find em. Not in a big hurry so something could come up.

I've now had the Apex Pro 19s in the bag since early Dec 2018 (Thank you GRANDADDY!) and I've recently started to have a wandering eye, so naturally it's time to reflect back on my time with them.
One thing to know about me is that I will never be considered a "ballstriker" or even a good iron player because I am extremely shallow and even tend to have a positive AoA with irons somehow. This gives me pretty unique launch conditions with plenty of launch and zero spin so the more speed the better for me.

Right from the start these irons blew me away. Beautiful forged package with a surprising amount of tech jammed in. I remember my first shot with them was a 5 iron on #17 Dye Course at Hideaway and instantly I knew we were going to get along just fine. Powerful feel, plenty of speed and height, and amazing to look down on. Since then I've gone through hot streaks and cold streaks with them but every time I pull one out of the bag I'm excited to hit it. The Pro 19 AW has easily been my best scoring club since the beginning. Point and shoot, hop'n'stop.
Conventional wisdom would probably suggest that a lousy swinger like myself should be in something a little more forgiving. During a particularly brutal cold streak I went out and bought a Smoke Apex 19 Combo Set with the Apex 5-7 irons and they just didn't work for me. I struggled to align them properly (I blame the offset but who knows) and I seemed to lose any semblance of distance control with them for some reason. So back to the Pro 19s.

What you ultimately find with the Pro 19s is an iron that punches above it's weight class. The speed coming out of the cup face irons 5-7 is right up there with other larger irons like JPX 919 Forged or P760 yet the profile uniquely maintains enough spin that they are functional for me. The short irons are as good as any other forged players cavity with an amazing feel and a beautiful look at address.

As far as negatives go I've only got a few after 1.5 years:
1) I'd prefer an aesthetic that didn't use badges or stickers
2) A few of the irons have browny-yellow stains from the sticker epoxy leaking out.
3) Chrome finish is peeling off a couple of them.
4) I needed to adjust the loft gap between the 8i and the 7i in order to maintain consistent gapping. I now have a 2* gap there and it works great.

I say I've had a wandering eye lately but honestly a large part of me is considering picking up a fresh set of Pro 19s. I'm not convinced that any other iron of the same size can outperform it.

I've got a combo set, and I'm really thinking about getting a set of the pros. I feel like I hit the ball much better with the pros in the set - yes, they are the shorter irons, but the difference between the 7 and 8 is striking to me. I also hit the short irons in the combo set much better than I hit the same irons in the CF19 set I have. It might be the thinner sole width, or something along those lines. Or I might be completely mental, which is equally likely.

I've also got the epoxy stains - which I don't think is the greatest look on a $1400 set of irons, but these are also a very early set and that issue could be well worked out by now. At the end of the day it's cosmetic and if I'm in position for birdie I don't care.

I love chipping with the short irons too. Really consistent.

I want them to come out with a new Apex just so I can buy a backup set of 19 Pros for cheaper. I feel like I can game them on any course or conditions. And like @mpeterson just said, they're great to chip with. I'm fairly averse to it with most other sets, but my chip and punch game with the pros is pretty great.

I want them to come out with a new Apex just so I can buy a backup set of 19 Pros for cheaper. I feel like I can game them on any course or conditions. And like @mpeterson just said, they're great to chip with. I'm fairly averse to it with most other sets, but my chip and punch game with the pros is pretty great.

i love my combo set. It’s going to take something special to knock them out of the bag.

I can't even tell you how much I love these irons. I completely lost my swing a couple of weeks ago. Like "maybe I should just quit this game" lost my swing. I went back to basics of things that I KNOW work for me and just kind of re-set from there. In that process, I was reminded of just how damned good these clubs are when you put a decent stroke on them. Just. So. F***ing. Good.

After shooting 16 strokes OVER my cap in my last league play (I don't even want to talk about it). I got back out this weekend and, letting the club do the work, shot 5 over my cap on Saturday and 1 over my cap on Sunday. My iron play was the reason that those scores were even remotely close to those numbers because my putting and short game stayed at the house both days (driver was more hit than miss).

Man, when you let the club do it's thing with this set it's just damned tough to beat. I do have a bit of different experience with everybody else' dream boat, though (the AW). I purchased the AW to match my set along with a 52* CBX2 and 56* CBX FF thinking that the gapping would be perfect and all would be right with the world. I pulled my 50*, 54*, and 58* CBX wedges from the bag thinking I had found the magical combo. Not so much. My short game has never been worse. Maybe it's the lack of continuity through my wedges that has me mind f***ed but it's been a horror show since I made the change.

One thing is for certain: The 52* CBX2 and the 56* CBX FF are out. They'll be hitting the marketplace in short order (heads up, lefties). The bag battle, now, is between the Apex AW and the CBX 50. The loser will also be making an appearance on the marketplace.

Still love these irons so much!:p

Hey, Elevates for the win! Love mine. :)

Sometimes I hit shots that make me tell my wife later that if I hit more shots like that, I'd be playing more golf. LOL

Two such shots were with my Apex 19 6i on a par 5 from 186 with a 6i to about 13' and on the very next hole, a par 3 from 172 with a 7i to 15'. Gotta love that "I couldn't have hit it any better than that" feeling. :love:

I can't even tell you how much I love these irons. I completely lost my swing a couple of weeks ago. Like "maybe I should just quit this game" lost my swing. I went back to basics of things that I KNOW work for me and just kind of re-set from there. In that process, I was reminded of just how damned good these clubs are when you put a decent stroke on them. Just. So. F***ing. Good.

After shooting 16 strokes OVER my cap in my last league play (I don't even want to talk about it). I got back out this weekend and, letting the club do the work, shot 5 over my cap on Saturday and 1 over my cap on Sunday. My iron play was the reason that those scores were even remotely close to those numbers because my putting and short game stayed at the house both days (driver was more hit than miss).

Man, when you let the club do it's thing with this set it's just damned tough to beat. I do have a bit of different experience with everybody else' dream boat, though (the AW). I purchased the AW to match my set along with a 52* CBX2 and 56* CBX FF thinking that the gapping would be perfect and all would be right with the world. I pulled my 50*, 54*, and 58* CBX wedges from the bag thinking I had found the magical combo. Not so much. My short game has never been worse. Maybe it's the lack of continuity through my wedges that has me mind f***ed but it's been a horror show since I made the change.

One thing is for certain: The 52* CBX2 and the 56* CBX FF are out. They'll be hitting the marketplace in short order (heads up, lefties). The bag battle, now, is between the Apex AW and the CBX 50. The loser will also be making an appearance on the marketplace.

Still love these irons so much!:p

These irons are the real deal for sure. I have the same issues with my AW sometimes & have a 48˚ MD4 that I'll swap in. Lose a few yards at the same loft but much more playable on the partial shots for me.

Back