Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

I have finally found a shaft that works for me in this club I put my shaft from my GBB Heavenwood (Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50) in it and it was good so I found a GBB 3 Wood shaft and put it in so its back in the bag and the driver is out. I just couldn't get it to work with the stock Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 I was always fighting a slice.

I have finally found a shaft that works for me in this club I put my shaft from my GBB Heavenwood (Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50) in it and it was good so I found a GBB 3 Wood shaft and put it in so its back in the bag and the driver is out. I just couldn't get it to work with the stock Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 I was always fighting a slice.

I did not get along with the shaft etiher in my 14 degree Mini. Replacing it with a Fujikura Speeder 665 was a game changer for me.

I did not get along with the shaft etiher in my 14 degree Mini. Replacing it with a Fujikura Speeder 665 was a game changer for me.

Apparently the silver is a low-mid launch and low spin shaft the black is a mid-high launch and mid spin. My Mini is a 12 degree set at 14 I may be able to lower the loft now with the Kuro Kage Black shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the silver is a low-mid launch and low spin shaft the black is a mid-high launch and mid spin. My Mini is a 12 degree set at 14 I may be able to lower the loft now with the Kuro Kage Black shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly was I was getting. Low launch and low spin. Could not hit it off the deck with that shaft which is a requirement for me. No issues hitting it off the deck with the Speeder shaft.

I actually hit the KK Silver Tini in my GBB driver head and liked it better with that head than the Mini.

I think I have given up on finding a 3 wood that works better for me from tee or deck than the Mini. Going back in the bag for the forseeable future.

I'm not a big shaft guy but I didn't like the stock Speeder in the Mini at all. It felt like a wet noodle and the whole package was just way too light. Different strokes for different folks, but I think the LT2w was a better club, though the Mini was a lot more adjustable.

This might be my longest tinkering and tweaking on a club ever going back to when it was first added to my bag like 2.5 years ago! I think I've finally found a bit heavier shaft to play in it, almost a 3w length, hoping it'll be a nice driver alternative off the tee, but really looking forward to adding some loft to it and trying it from the deck.

I bought a used mini 1.5 two years ago. It has the stock kuro silver shaft in it. Got it at Golf Galaxy off the pre-owned rack and I think I paid $65 for it. I picked it up because at the time I really struggled with my driver and thought what the hell, for so little cost it is worth a shot. At the time my swing was so bad I just couldn't seem to hit anything but a 3 wood off the tee. I really tried to make the mini 1.5 work, but I guess my swing was so jacked then that I couldn't hit the mini at all really. So I pulled it out of the bag and into the rack in my garage with some other odd clubs I have.

Fast forward to this season. I'm a year into lessons and have really worked on improving my swing, including trying to be consistently smooth. I have seen improvement with every club but least improvment with driver, so for most of this season I've been using my 3 wood (callaway fusion) off the tee with mixed results, but overall better than my driver. Using the 3W I'm hitting fairways about 50% of the time. I noticed the Taylormade Original One and that sparked my interest in looking at a mini driver again, especially after reading the threads and great info on THP about the TM OO. It got me thinking maybe I need to try the mini 1.5 again.

I took the mini 1.5 to the range yesterday and Boom, nice flight with long straight shots. Great results right out of the gate. With this club I was seeing 15-20 yards more carry off the tee. With the improvement in my swing I seem to be able to just make solid contact with great ball flight with the mini 1.5. Played 9 holes today and hit 6 of 7 fairways, and the one miss was about 5 yards off the FW in the rough. With the mini 1.5 my score improved by 5 shots over my 9 hole score on Friday at my home course. This club just really delivers for me and is staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Of course now I'm more intreged to try the TM mini. Now I just have to get a chance to hit the TM.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back