Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
UPDATE
Review can be found here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-bertha-mini-1-5-driver-review/

In for review is a club that has without a doubt garnered more chatter and anticipation on the forums that we have seen in a while, Callaway's official foray into the Mini-Driver section of the market, the Bertha Mini 1.5.

Bigger in cc than any of the "Deep" offerings we have seen from the X-line of metal-woods, this one sat behind the ball definitely screams something other than "fairway wood". The benefit to all this size is that it has allowed Callaway to increase the overall MOI of the design but also for the first time combine their fairway wood technology with a lot of their driver tech as well. An interesting twist is the use of the Warbird sole on the head, and Callaway has said this really helps it be an off the deck option for better players despite the massive depth of the head, something this reviewer will be putting to the test during review.

Plus, the 1.5 features full OptiFit adjustability from decreasing loft 1-degree, increasing it up to 2-degrees, and also Draw and Neutral options. Again there has been much talk from Callaway about how this will allow the club to truly be tuned to the player as a driver replacement, driver supplement, or simply as a 3-wood with deck and tee abilities.

For review, THP got the 14-degree version with the Kuro Kage 60 TiNi shaft setup.

Information on the Big Bertha Mini 1.5 from Callaway:

More MOI Than Our Typical 3-Wood
  • Off the tee, it’s a better option for players than our typical 3-wood. It has higher MOI from a 235cc head that’s 35% larger than XR, and a shape that gives you confidence over the ball.
  • It has high ball speed from a Forged Hyper Speed Face Cup, a Forged Composite crown, and the cambered Warbird Sole makes it easy to hit. You’re getting all the best features of a driver in the framework of a larger fairway wood.
Long Off The Fairway For Better Players
  • If you have a high swing speed, you can play this off the fairway for high speed and amazing distance. You know that long Par-5 you’ve been trying to reach in two? You might be able to get home now.
Adjustability To Fit Your Shot Selection
  • Depending on how you want to play it, the Bertha Mini 1.5 can be a replacement driver, a longer option off the tee than a 3-wood, or a club that’s playable off the fairway. That’s why we’ve put in an OptiFit Hosel to tune it to your settings. Choose from 8 different combinations for your loft (-1, S, +1, +2) and lie angle (Draw or Neutral) configurations.

Specifications:

CLUBLOFTDEXTERITYLENGTHSWING WEIGHT
12°AdjustableRH/LH44"D3
14°AdjustableRH/LH44"D3

MODELFLEXWEIGHTKICK POINTTORQUE
Mitsubishi Kuro KageL,R,S,X63g-69gMid (X=Mid-High)Mid (X=Low)
Fujikura Speeder 565L,R,S,X56g-58gMidMid

In-Hand Images:

DSC_1083-XL.jpg

DSC_1078-XL.jpg

DSC_1085-XL.jpg

DSC_1076-XL.jpg

DSC_1086-XL.jpg

DSC_1087-XL.jpg

DSC_1088-XL.jpg

DSC_1090-XL.jpg

DSC_1091-XL.jpg

DSC_1094-XL.jpg

DSC_1098-XL.jpg

DSC_1071-XL.jpg

DSC_1072-XL.jpg

DSC_1074-XL.jpg

DSC_1075-XL.jpg

DSC_1079-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like it could be a fun one to review for you

The warbird sole is interesting. Should be easier to hit off of turf than other mini drivers.

I wonder how this would compare to my 14* BB FW.

• Staff
That looks like it could be a fun one to review for you

Coming from the Aero Mini recently, I have a lot of questions and things I want to see for sure. Especially with all the off the deck thoughts form the company and from THP'ers, lots of paces to be put through. Hopefully I can get some ball speed info up ASAP too.

• Staff
The warbird sole is interesting. Should be easier to hit off of turf than other mini drivers.

If you sat it next to your BB, your BB would immediately fear being eaten. This is quite the footprint and face depth.

Man, that is a fantastically written first post. I kind of wanted one before, now I definitely want one.

If one has the swing speed (See KC720's thoughts), off the deck is not a huge challenge. For many others I would still favor the XR or BB Fairway.

I have been waiting for this one to come in for review! Put it through the paces and gives us hungry THPers the feedback we have been waiting for James. Can't wait for it!!!

Coming from the Aero Mini recently, I have a lot of questions and things I want to see for sure. Especially with all the off the deck thoughts form the company and from THP'ers, lots of paces to be put through. Hopefully I can get some ball speed info up ASAP too.

It'll be an interesting comparison between the two for sure. Off the deck should really be interesting, especially if one could get a semi playable height

James, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. I don't think I've anticipated a club more than this a quite a while

Personally this one ticks all the boxes. For me it is a driver replacement. Do not have the skills to hit a 44" club from the deck.

If one has the swing speed (See KC720's thoughts), off the deck is not a huge challenge. For many others I would still favor the XR or BB Fairway.
And if you primarily use your 3w for off the tee only, would you favor the Bertha 1.5?

I'm really looking forward to your thoughts once you have put this through its paces. I have been looking forward to this club for some time

Any chance you could get a side by side pic with the Alpha 815 driver head for size comparison please?

Any chance you could get a side by side pic with the Alpha 815 driver head for size comparison please?
When I get a chance I will for sure.

Definitely interested in this review. I will have some thoughts of my own in here as well. I have both 12° and 14° on the way. I will say that the 14 was easy to elevate off the deck for me. The design definitely favors a sweeper as Doc Hoc says in the Callaway talks video. Be assured this thing is a bomber off the tee. I can see a lot of guys that primarily use 3w off the tee approaching their driver distance with this

Fantastic photos James! I'm stupid eager to get mine in so I'm anxiously awaiting your feedback. I agree with you in just how hot of a topic this has become. I'm still unsure how this will fit into my bag but I suppose that's what testing is for.

I'm not expecting driver like distances but having a club that can help to find the FW on those shorter or more narrow holes while not losing a ton of distance would be huge for me. Haven't been this excited to read about and try something in quite awhile. Had a great chat with afwcardinal today and I think something like this could really be lethal for him as he is one that hits 3w nearly as far as driver so it could sit in there really well with no need for him to carry driver.

I am really interested to see what you have to say about this, it could definitely be on my list to try this year

Looking forward to the performance on this vs the aeroburner mini. As I use the mini 95% of the time for tee shots I may be in ponder mode.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the fairway performance with the 1.5 vs the Aero mini.

I would be curious about thoughts on it versus the 3Deep off the tee. The 3Deep has been a good fairway finder for me, and a good alternative to the driver on tighter holes. I would guess you would get a little higher launch, but maybe less roll out. Probably better performance on off center shots.

Jman you never cease to amaze me .. You da man ?

I hit this today at PGASS.

It definitely is not a FW. I could barely get the 14* elevated off of the fake turf. Head shape is also huge compared to the XR and BB FWs.

It looks good and feels really solid at impact. Not sure I would put it in the bag, though. Distance is comparable to my 3W but can't hit it off of the turf.

Back