Callaway Chrome Soft replacement suggestions?

I’ve been em extremely happy with Srixon Q Star and Z Star. Both can be gotten for $20 and $35 on sale. I really like both and I’ve been playing them all winter. Actually just ordered more Q Stars because I like them so much.

Wanted to see what you guys thought the most similar competitor replacement for the Callaway Chrome Soft would be. Would love a lesser costly solution but really enjoy(ed) playing the Chrome Softs (not the X version). I think the new 2020's are supposed to be like $49 a box.. which I think is a little costly...
Hoping I would not lose any of the characteristics if at all possible.
Thanks!

lostgolfballs.com

AAAA condition

You. Are. Welcome.LGB.PNG

Maxfli Tour. Just as much performance as a Chrome Soft and theyre only $34 a dozen. Sometimes you can pick them up for $25 a dozen too.

Kirkland balls can usually be ordered from the Costco website. I have used them in the past, but have been gaming Snell for the past couple months and really like them. Hard to beat the price for Kirkland, but the quality of Snell's balls is better and they seem to last forever. If you can stand the extra cost, I would give the new Bridgestone and Srixon lines a look, but then you might as well be buying Pro V1 or V1X for just a few dollars more. I found a new Bridgestone Tour B RX a few weeks ago and have played it a couple times. Very impressive given my slower swing speed (230 carry w/driver). The distance seems to be as good as the Snell or Pro V1X, and it appears to have a lot of spin from layup distances in the fairways. I used to play Chrome Soft regularly, but when I found Snell I saved some money and put it towards more lessons. The problems with the Chrome Soft lost me as a customer, and it may be a while before I go back regardless of their efforts to improve quality control. As long as Snell keeps working for me, that will be my go to.

I would recommend picking up the z star on sale for $22 or at least trying the q star tour for $20/6 so $20/dz

My concern is that a truly comparable ball will likely be as expensive as the CS 20, if not more. If your budget is really limited, I would suggest sticking with the 2019 CS and stock up on 2020 version when there’s a deal.

Wilson Staff Duo Professional. There's a couple of Ebay sellers offering them for $30/dozen shipped.

I like that ball a lot more than the CS. Longer and straighter ballflight off driver. Good spin on approaches but admittedly less than CS.

It, along with the Z-Star and TP5, are my favorite current golf balls.

Comparable would also be as mentioned, the AVX, Q-Star Tour, FG Tour, Tour B RX/RXS, TM Project a/Tour Response.

Wilson Staff Duo Professional. There's a couple of Ebay sellers offering them for $30/dozen shipped.

I like that ball a lot more than the CS. Longer and straighter ballflight off driver. Good spin on approaches but admittedly less than CS.

It, along with the Z-Star and TP5, are my favorite current golf balls.

Comparable would also be as mentioned, the AVX, Q-Star Tour, FG Tour, Tour B RX/RXS, TM Project a/Tour Response.
I was also going to suggest the Wilson Staff Duo Professional in addition to the other ones mentioned. I plan to try it as a cheaper alternative to the Titleist AVX when my stock starts running low. The Internet testing I have seen compares it to the AVX and the Chromesoft. Glad to hear you like it.

Go to the Costco website.
Those ones are 3 piece. Just don't want anyone confused. The 4 piece balls were insane for the price but are gone. The 3 piece urethane Kirkland balls are not bad either

Absolutely correct, but the 3-piece Kirkland ball is a pretty good product. I just like the Snell better for the minor up charge in pricing.

Because of all the "find it cut it" hype. There are just so many that found deficiencies in the Chome Softs (off center core) which is in my head. Yes, probably stupid for thinking that way but the reality is that Callaway was producing a sub standard quality ball and has now spent $50 million in trying to get rid of that problem. No, I probably would have never noticed it, but its in my head now. The thought of that one shot that goes off 20 yards when I know (and feel) that I hit it better than that results sticks in my head.
I will most likely go and purchase a bunch of the current Chrome Softs and the price for them is very enticing.

Because of all the "find it cut it" hype. There are just so many that found deficiencies in the Chome Softs (off center core) which is in my head. Yes, probably stupid for thinking that way but the reality is that Callaway was producing a sub standard quality ball and has now spent $50 million in trying to get rid of that problem. No, I probably would have never noticed it, but its in my head now. The thought of that one shot that goes off 20 yards when I know (and feel) that I hit it better than that results sticks in my head.
I will most likely go and purchase a bunch of the current Chrome Softs and the price for them is very enticing.

But in the grand scheme of balls produced and number of people who said they found an off-centre ball, the percentage is going to be pretty small I feel
It has certainly not made me change ball, I still play the Chrome Soft CSX Triple Track and will be trying the new 2020 range when they are available

If price point is key, I second and third the others that have suggested Srixon Q Star Tour.

Im gonna agree with what many others have said. The QStar Tour by Srixon is an unbelievably good ball for the price. I played CS for a while too and switched to the QStar Tour and have zero regrets.

I use lots of soft compression balls and I like the feel of the truefeel but they dont do the same as the chrome soft on the green as they tend to roll out more. Since I swiched clubs to the g700 I get a more arc approch for my shots and havent had any proplem with keeping them from rolling out as much

can confirm. Got a sleeve of these and played them, couldn’t hold the greens well even with high irons and wedges. A few I thought were dead on rolled 20 yards after hitting and I struck them pretty well (greens weren’t soft but weren’t that bad)

can confirm. Got a sleeve of these and played them, couldn’t hold the greens well even with high irons and wedges. A few I thought were dead on rolled 20 yards after hitting and I struck them pretty well (greens weren’t soft but weren’t that bad)
Can’t get Chrome Soft to hold green? Very surprising as these spin really well.

Can’t get Chrome Soft to hold green? Very surprising as these spin really well.

Sorry, was referring to the Truefeels

Reactions: JB
Back