Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I think there is some truth to this but I also think there’s a misconception here that I’m hoping I can shed some light on.

Guys got roughly 50 minutes for fittings. That’s close to the time you get at a local fitter when picking one specific area of the bag to get fit to so keep that in mind. Everyone started at irons and worked their way up. Now add some time to fix any gaps in distances, having the fitter have to run to another tent to grab a club to try, switching shafts and so on. The time adds up. So by the time you get to driver, your asked what shot is your miss and what shafts do you normally play and you go from there. While yes there are some fine tunings and advice on set ups from the best in the world, it’s not like everyone was there with an entire day to kill and got crazy in death driver fittings.

Do I think a fitting will help maximize performance for the Flash? Hell yes. I think that’s the case for any club, shaft and ball. Do I think the gains by the guys on the team are strictly because of the fitting? Not really. A number of us were put into stock offerings.
This hits the nail on the head and to add to what was said being fit makes a difference but I was asked a series of questions about what I was playing and what my misses were and then fit into a shaft along with driver head. Any good fitter should be asking you those questions and this is not to discredit the Callaway guys at all because I thought the experience was awesome and those guys know their stuff! I think all in all being fit along with the new technology will combine to give us the results we are seeing. I came from a 2016 Taylormade M1 with a heavier shaft. Now my shaft is lighter and the tech I'd way different in this club so the results I'm seeing are a combination of the two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting point. At the fitting I definitely saw less optimal results with different shafts. On the other hand, I switched the EF Black from my Rogue into the Flash SZ during a range session and didn't see substantially different results from what I get with the Smoke. Also, I didn't have great results at the beginning...it was an uneven start with the Flash for me. But after that things got a lot better (the better coincides with switching the cog from N to D, too).

If I recall correctly (and I seldom do!), you knew your swing was off during the fitting so you were fitted for your swing that day. Once it came back to normal, you then adjusted based on that. Kind of like most people, exception being those like me-just crank the clubface as open as possible and the loft as far down as possible. If it has a weight I put it into as fade biased position as I can. If I'm not losing it left when I do that I've got a potential match, lol.

I still haven't had a chance to hit one yet. Only place close that has them is Dicks and they won't even have a SZ head nor any X-flex shafts. But I should be able to do a head to head to head tomorrow with my R15 430 (I just can't find anything for me that's consistently better), Rogue SZ, and the Flash. I'll bring my own shafts with me so I can do an apples to almost apples compare. From Epic/Epic SZ and Rogue/Rogue SZ history, the SZ head should be about 300 RPM less spin. That's my biggest problem is fighting to get my spin under 3k. I can do that with the R15 430, but it's got a PX Black 7.0 (thanks Gilbertc13!) in it. I know the regular Flash isn't for me, but if the forgiveness is as good as I think it will be I'll swap out the Rogue SZ for the Flash SZ as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on one.

My love/hate affair with Callaway Drivers goes back to the Alpha 816. As soon as I hit it (indoors, over the winter) I knew it was the driver for me within 5 swings. But I've run into the same issue over and over with Callaway drivers, It's gotta be something subconscious but I have a helluva a time lining them up. They perform great, but I just don't have confidence on where I'm going to launch it. I'll have a good round, then a bad one. Probably because I swap them out too much, but that's the life of us internet golf warriors.

Anyways I hope to be able to put some data into this thread tomorrow. I plan to hit 10 shots with each one and throw out the worst (I'm rusty as heck) and see what kind of numbers I'm getting. I'll still test the forgiveness plenty I'm sure throwing out the worst, since the worst is likely to be a worm burner or a hosel rocket. It's been over 2 months since I hit a ball anywhere.

If I recall correctly (and I seldom do!), you knew your swing was off during the fitting so you were fitted for your swing that day. Once it came back to normal, you then adjusted based on that. Kind of like most people, exception being those like me-just crank the clubface as open as possible and the loft as far down as possible. If it has a weight I put it into as fade biased position as I can. If I'm not losing it left when I do that I've got a potential match, lol.

I still haven't had a chance to hit one yet. Only place close that has them is Dicks and they won't even have a SZ head nor any X-flex shafts. But I should be able to do a head to head to head tomorrow with my R15 430 (I just can't find anything for me that's consistently better), Rogue SZ, and the Flash. I'll bring my own shafts with me so I can do an apples to almost apples compare. From Epic/Epic SZ and Rogue/Rogue SZ history, the SZ head should be about 300 RPM less spin. That's my biggest problem is fighting to get my spin under 3k. I can do that with the R15 430, but it's got a PX Black 7.0 (thanks Gilbertc13!) in it. I know the regular Flash isn't for me, but if the forgiveness is as good as I think it will be I'll swap out the Rogue SZ for the Flash SZ as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on one.

My love/hate affair with Callaway Drivers goes back to the Alpha 816. As soon as I hit it (indoors, over the winter) I knew it was the driver for me within 5 swings. But I've run into the same issue over and over with Callaway drivers, It's gotta be something subconscious but I have a helluva a time lining them up. They perform great, but I just don't have confidence on where I'm going to launch it. I'll have a good round, then a bad one. Probably because I swap them out too much, but that's the life of us internet golf warriors.

Anyways I hope to be able to put some data into this thread tomorrow. I plan to hit 10 shots with each one and throw out the worst (I'm rusty as heck) and see what kind of numbers I'm getting. I'll still test the forgiveness plenty I'm sure throwing out the worst, since the worst is likely to be a worm burner or a hosel rocket. It's been over 2 months since I hit a ball anywhere.

Have fun hitting those tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.

I can relate on the struggle with Callaway drivers. The last time I hit one decent was the FT9. The GBB was playable for me but not quite the best fit.

I will admit, I owned a Sasquatch Tour. And yes, it was pretty much because Tiger had one. I was young and impressionable. It didn't take me long to realize that it sounded like crap and you can't always get results with what you see being played on TV.

I golf frequently with an older gentleman. I think he's 68, but you'd never know it meeting him. He's a (no such thing!) former Marine and has taken good care of himself. He still has a Sasquatch of some sort, the square looking one. I met him last winter at an indoor sim. At his SS of low-mid 90's, it was obnoxious. But y'all know how it is, you just have to hit something you haven't ever hit so I asked him to hit it. I went full long driver swing with my one and lifetime only swing with it. I swear it felt like a flash-bang went off on that room, yikes! The women and children went running for the door (slight exaggeration). Lol

He hits it well though. Nice low draw that goes as good as anything else I've seen him hit. Outside its not too loud, but "too" is very individual. I'm dead in my left ear from too much shooting without hearing protection when I was younger. I just cover my right one.

Sorry for hijack, I'm a hijack waiting to happen. Carry on.

Yes, that's right. Remember to adjust loft to help with spin. I saw @500-600 rpm difference going from 10.5 to 11.5.

FWIW I struggled with Callaway drivers until Rogue.

Looking forward to your thoughts on these. Based on my experience with the regular and seeing relatively low spin, I think the SZ might give you some of the spin reduction you need.

I've got my fitting scheduled for the Flash drivers tomorrow at 5pm. I'll be bringing my gamer for the past 2 years with me (TW Vapor Speed with Speeder 757) and see if the Flash can knock it out of the bag. I'll be using a SkyTrak system with the Callaway rep and the whole fitting cart at my fingertips. Hopefully I'll be able to post some numbers following. Can't wait!

Holy crap my custom flash is preparing to ship!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m loving the color choice for Epic Flash. Not sure what the fuss is about

14cf0472a629a3b1aabb411c4d60210f.jpg

I’m loving the color choice for Epic Flash. Not sure what the fuss is about

14cf0472a629a3b1aabb411c4d60210f.jpg

Pairs well with that shaft. To me it doesn't look much different than the GBB Epic. Just the added yellow line. The GBB Epic came more to a point and the Flash looks more rounded and not as deep.

I still need to go and hit this, but based on the feedback and comments from some people in here, I definitely have an idea of what could work for me

After the swing changes over the last couple of years, I have gone from hitting down on the ball to now hitting up at anywhere from 4-6 degrees depending on how I am swinging (at one point I was hitting up by 8 degrees), but my current driver setup just doesn't work with that swing and I am spinning the ball way too much

Based on this thread and talking with my instructor, the 9* Sub Zero head is pretty much the one I would expect to be fit in to, and most likely the Smoke shaft

Then the only thing left to configure would be whether to leave the head at 9* or if it needs turning down to 8*

My next lesson is not for another 4 weeks, but I may well try and find some time to head over one evening to spend an hour on the sim and give this (along with the F9 and TS2/3) a try

Dang! 4-5* up? Come join me on the (for me) senior long drive circuit. Not that I can Krank (what? I feel punny today) them out there anymore, but that's an AOA typically only found there.

Dang! 4-5* up? Come join me on the (for me) senior long drive circuit. Not that I can Krank (what? I feel punny today) them out there anymore, but that's an AOA typically only found there.

My last fitting had me at +5.5* and I loved it. Carry for days!!!!

That is great, they are killing me. Told me yesterday my irons would ship today but so far nothing and the driver still says 2 weeks.
Has to be the worst part of ordering instead of buying and walking out with it, but I doubt anyone would have a GD AD BB7x in stock...

That is great, they are killing me. Told me yesterday my irons would ship today but so far nothing and the driver still says 2 weeks.
Has to be the worst part of ordering instead of buying and walking out with it, but I doubt anyone would have a GD AD BB7x in stock...

I was so close to getting fitted into that shaft. It was down to that, the XT and the Smoke for me

Just night and day for me from the other shafts, that profile just works for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great news! What custom colors are you getting and how much of an upcharge is involved?

Great news! What custom colors are you getting and how much of an upcharge is involved?

I did blue on the crown and sole with white jailbreak medallions. IIRC it was a $50 upcharge over stock.

I did blue on the crown and sole with white jailbreak medallions. IIRC it was a $50 upcharge over stock.

In the scheme of it, when spending $530 for a driver, another 50 isn't too too bad I suppose

In the scheme of it, when spending $530 for a driver, another 50 isn't too too bad I suppose

That was my thought. It’s already expensive, rather have colors that I like.

Just night and day for me from the other shafts, that profile just works for me.

you know what's weird? i got fit into that same shaft several years ago at the annika academy in a callaway fitting. it felt great.

It's not new tech but it smoked all the others for me, pretty close to the Atmos Black 6x in feel, just better numbers all around.
The guy that fit me at David Leadbetter put me in it (for the rogue sz) but I was too cheap to drop $300 on a shaft at the time, well fast forward and I spent a lot more than that to come right back around to it.

Well I check my order today and they are telling me 1-2 week back order - Bummer....

Unfortunately my current driver setup doesn't work as I just spin it too much despite that AoA so my distance isn't great which is why I want to get ftlitted and see what one of these can do

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Great news Jourdan!!

Can’t wait for pics

Tracking info received. It's on its way!

Back