Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Ok, results of my head to head to head. I wrote it all down so I don't hurt my head trying to remember it all, lol. First is R15 430 9.5* w/ HZRDUS Black 7.0 set at 7.5*. Second is Rogue SZ 9* set at 8* N with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 75 gram (I think actual is 77 grams but I'm not 100%). Third is Epic Flash 9* set at 8* N with same shaft as the Rogue SZ.

Important to note that this is the regular Flash and not the SubZero head, which I would almost certainly have better results with. Everything adjustable across the board was set as fade biased as I could get. It's also the best 9 out of 10 shots, averaged.

I haven't hit a ball in over 2 months and am rusty as heck so these results threw out the worst strikes, the kind most golfers would take a mulligan for. Numbers are rounded to nearest meaningful number. In addition, I have no clue what LM Dicks has but this was on theirs. The accuracy seems to be on par with results I see on the course, but I wouldn't guarantee it's 100%. I also hit them 1-2-3 instead of 1x10, 2x10, 3x10 to rule out warming up, finding a groove, and fatigue.

R15 430-Spin 2950. Ball speed 176. AOA +3.2*. Carry 293.

Rogue SZ-Spin 3100. Ball Speed 175. AOA +2.8. Carry 284

Flash-Spin 3200. Ball Speed 178. AOA +2.9. Carry 285.

Thoughts? I only hit a couple with each club that I would say I hit 100%. Ball speed there was pretty consistent with all of them, right at 1.5 smash, give or take a point .01-02. The spin monster bit me in the butt with the regular Flash, which I knew it probably would going in. On their LM I saw a shot that screamed to its apex and then fell out of the air, which anyone with high spin has seen on a LM.

I did see more speed across the face with the Flash than with either of the other 2 clubs. My swing speed averaged across all three clubs were nearly the same with the R15 being about 1 MPH higher than the other two. I attribute that to the slightly smaller clubhead and me having more confidence in my setup.

Sound wasn't Triton loud but it wasn't my favorite sounding, but this was also indoors in an enclosed room. Definitely not near as loud as the Sumo Sasquatch. Probably will be fine outdoors. With a foot of snow on the ground, that compare will have to wait. I pieced up and got rid of my Triton with Rogue Silver after hitting it indoors only even though it gave me great results. I won't ever make that mistake again.

Bad mishits with the Flash retained ball speed better than the Rogue (marginally) and the R15 (markedly). I had a couple bad mishits with each and what I'd expect to be a 225 carry with the R15, with the Flash was still going 250. I'd rate it the single most forgiving club I've ever hit*.

*I haven't hit the M5/6 line yet nor the G400 Max or the Cobra F9

Final results: I'll be ordering the SZ head without hitting it. If it can retain the same ball speed as the Flash across the face, and lower my spin the expected 300 RPM's versus the regular version, it'll be the best driver I've ever hit. Neutral on colors (don't care), and the sound (don't care, at least indoors).

I don’t put a ton of credit in the golf digest rankings that come out yearly but a 20 out of 20 rating (first ever btw) isn’t too shabby for this bad boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is some truth to this but I also think there’s a misconception here that I’m hoping I can shed some light on.

Guys got roughly 50 minutes for fittings. That’s close to the time you get at a local fitter when picking one specific area of the bag to get fit to so keep that in mind. Everyone started at irons and worked their way up. Now add some time to fix any gaps in distances, having the fitter have to run to another tent to grab a club to try, switching shafts and so on. The time adds up. So by the time you get to driver, your asked what shot is your miss and what shafts do you normally play and you go from there. While yes there are some fine tunings and advice on set ups from the best in the world, it’s not like everyone was there with an entire day to kill and got crazy in death driver fittings.

Do I think a fitting will help maximize performance for the Flash? Hell yes. I think that’s the case for any club, shaft and ball. Do I think the gains by the guys on the team are strictly because of the fitting? Not really. A number of us were put into stock offerings.

Good to know! I just hit the Flash today for the first time, head to head to head. Results above. Similar (in weight and maker at least) although not the same shafts in all. Flash had the most speed. I need to hit the SubZero stat!

I've self fit through swing stats and results but I have no doubt a pro could do me one better. Didn't realize the fitting was so compressed, but I still think the average golfer would see similar results from what this years Grandaddy folks saw, just from being properly fit. Perfect strikes can't get much better than prior releases but forgiveness sure can. I've had days where I've averaged 1.4 or less smash on a LM so it's not like I'm not looking for forgiveness.

It seems like most of y'all had previously seen some level of fitting in the past, and my ball speed gains (if not total distance) results are close to what I'm hearing. Once I trim that spin down to about what I get with my R15 430 setup, I should see total distance gains similar to what I'm reading about. I plan to get there with the SubZero head (and the PX Black shaft, if needed). Hopefully I can learn to have confidence lining this sucker up, which has been where I've utterly failed with Callaway drivers for some reason. My problem and not theirs, most admittedly.

Unfortunately my current driver setup doesn't work as I just spin it too much despite that AoA so my distance isn't great which is why I want to get ftlitted and see what one of these can do

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain for sure! No one can tell me why I spin it so much. I posted numbers above but have about a +3 AOA and if the PX Black 7.0 can't kill spin, it can't be done. I have a 3.0 Krank Long Drive driver with a 110 gram XXX flex shaft that I still spin around 3k. Just can't get much below that no matter what I do. All my metrics say it shouldn't spin that much, but it still does.

I live for the downwind holes, lol.

Edit: While I hate to see someone else fight the spin demon, it is somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one that's doing the metrics right and still spinning the hell out of it. Good luck with the fix. If you figure it out, let me know!

Ok, results of my head to head to head. I wrote it all down so I don't hurt my head trying to remember it all, lol. First is R15 430 9.5* w/ HZRDUS Black 7.0 set at 7.5*. Second is Rogue SZ 9* set at 8* N with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 75 gram (I think actual is 77 grams but I'm not 100%). Third is Epic Flash 9* set at 8* N with same shaft as the Rogue SZ.

Important to note that this is the regular Flash and not the SubZero head, which I would almost certainly have better results with. Everything adjustable across the board was set as fade biased as I could get. It's also the best 9 out of 10 shots, averaged.

I haven't hit a ball in over 2 months and am rusty as heck so these results threw out the worst strikes, the kind most golfers would take a mulligan for. Numbers are rounded to nearest meaningful number. In addition, I have no clue what LM Dicks has but this was on theirs. The accuracy seems to be on par with results I see on the course, but I wouldn't guarantee it's 100%. I also hit them 1-2-3 instead of 1x10, 2x10, 3x10 to rule out warming up, finding a groove, and fatigue.

R15 430-Spin 2950. Ball speed 176. AOA +3.2*. Carry 293.

Rogue SZ-Spin 3100. Ball Speed 175. AOA +2.8. Carry 284

Flash-Spin 3200. Ball Speed 178. AOA +2.9. Carry 285.

Thoughts? I only hit a couple with each club that I would say I hit 100%. Ball speed there was pretty consistent with all of them, right at 1.5 smash, give or take a point .01-02. The spin monster bit me in the butt with the regular Flash, which I knew it probably would going in. On their LM I saw a shot that screamed to its apex and then fell out of the air, which anyone with high spin has seen on a LM.

I did see more speed across the face with the Flash than with either of the other 2 clubs. My swing speed averaged across all three clubs were nearly the same with the R15 being about 1 MPH higher than the other two. I attribute that to the slightly smaller clubhead and me having more confidence in my setup.

Sound wasn't Triton loud but it wasn't my favorite sounding, but this was also indoors in an enclosed room. Definitely not near as loud as the Sumo Sasquatch. Probably will be fine outdoors. With a foot of snow on the ground, that compare will have to wait. I pieced up and got rid of my Triton with Rogue Silver after hitting it indoors only even though it gave me great results. I won't ever make that mistake again.

Bad mishits with the Flash retained ball speed better than the Rogue (marginally) and the R15 (markedly). I had a couple bad mishits with each and what I'd expect to be a 225 carry with the R15, with the Flash was still going 250. I'd rate it the single most forgiving club I've ever hit*.

*I haven't hit the M5/6 line yet nor the G400 Max or the Cobra F9

Final results: I'll be ordering the SZ head without hitting it. If it can retain the same ball speed as the Flash across the face, and lower my spin the expected 300 RPM's versus the regular version, it'll be the best driver I've ever hit. Neutral on colors (don't care), and the sound (don't care, at least indoors).

Good stuff and really impressive numbers with all clubs. I didn’t touch on it much in my thoughts earlier, but I found the Flash SZ to be very forgiving, which resulted the most consistent ball speeds and carry of all the drivers I’ve tried. I have only hit the Flash SZ indoors, I’m hopefully optimistic that the forgiveness will translate to the course.

I’m loving the color choice for Epic Flash. Not sure what the fuss is about

14cf0472a629a3b1aabb411c4d60210f.jpg

Hellz to the yeah! Dope combo.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Don’t be surprised if you see more spin reduction than that from the SZ. I got about 1k less spin with the SZ vs regular Flash with both at 10.5. SZ at 11.5 almost split the difference of those spin numbers.

Last edited:
@smiter i think the flash sz is going to be great for you. it will definitely knock off some spin, and you'll see more carry. i also think the head shape will suit your eye better, and you may find swing speed to be as much if not more than your r15. looking forward to your feedback when it comes in.

Crap! I'm a year behind.

My Rogue just arrived with Even Flow Blue.

Keep the Flash reviews coming! This time, next year, CPO ... maybe.

I’m loving the color choice for Epic Flash. Not sure what the fuss is about

14cf0472a629a3b1aabb411c4d60210f.jpg

I love the color scheme! Looks even better in person!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tipped and ready to Flash
27e7be2d2a234b29f3f5e6b6acd4caf8.jpg

Really interested in how the COOOL works for you. I cant wait to get mine in the Flash SZ and compare that with the Smoke. The COOOL has been the best shaft for my game that i can remember

Please let us know how they compare. I have the Coool but not The Attas yet.

Will do for sure. I like them both for different reasons and will post more in the thread for them. With the g400max I found the coool to be slightly more stable, but with good swings the attas was maybe longer? Really looking forward to throwing them in the Flash.

Really interested in how the COOOL works for you. I cant wait to get mine in the Flash SZ and compare that with the Smoke. The COOOL has been the best shaft for my game that i can remember

It’s been the best shaft for me ever. I prefer it to the attas, but going to give them both a shot. Sorry, don’t know how to multi quote.

Listening to Michael Vrska talk about what they were able to do from a design stand point was completely fascinating. Im sure some heard it in the Live Video Chat (available on THP TV), but as he said, it is one of the most impressive designs he has seen in a LONG time.

Listening to Michael Vrska talk about what they were able to do from a design stand point was completely fascinating. Im sure some heard it in the Live Video Chat (available on THP TV), but as he said, it is one of the most impressive designs he has seen in a LONG time.

That was interesting to listen to, especially about back door or reverse engineering couldn't be achieved to copy the design. Love listening to Michael and all your content coming forward.

High praise from a man that has seen a driver design or two in his time.

Had a chance to hit both of them today. Looks nice on both, with the sound higher pitched on the standard. I really liked the Sub Zero better. Spin with the Regular was in the 3300 and the Sub was 2300. The Sub had a heavier, stiffer shaft and felt better. Ball speed was around 149 with the sub, 145 with the standard. My average with the G400 Max is 153. Maybe a fit and familiarity but it seems a lot like the Epic to me.

Had a chance to hit both of them today. Looks nice on both, with the sound higher pitched on the standard. I really liked the Sub Zero better. Spin with the Regular was in the 3300 and the Sub was 2300. The Sub had a heavier, stiffer shaft and felt better. Ball speed was around 149 with the sub, 145 with the standard. My average with the G400 Max is 153. Maybe a fit and familiarity but it seems a lot like the Epic to me.

Nice feedback. I do think you'd see better results with a fitting (duh). But you've obviously got a gamer you are happy with, which is great for you. This part isn't directly exactly at you ... one thing I've been thinking about is how ball speed retention doesn't always show up on fittings. I keep thinking about that lesson where every ball I hit - and I was all over the face - was within about 300 rpms. Anyway, thanks again for your writeup, good stuff.

Nice feedback. I do think you'd see better results with a fitting (duh). But you've obviously got a gamer you are happy with, which is great for you. This part isn't directly exactly at you ... one thing I've been thinking about is how ball speed retention doesn't always show up on fittings. I keep thinking about that lesson where every ball I hit - and I was all over the face - was within about 300 rpms. Anyway, thanks again for your writeup, good stuff.

I struggle with spin. I live in the 3500 range and get no run. A 250 isn't that hard for me to get, but it won't roll out. I think with a fitting the Sub could be excellent for me. I will try it again when I get a shot at the G410.

Maybe I'll start my testing of these tomorrow. My course has had all the heads lofts and shafts to demo for nearly 2 weeks but weather hasn't cooperated. Snowing right now and ground will be frozen but I've been chomping at the bit so hard that these rumors of low to mid 40s tomorrow sounds persuasive enough.

Hit this again today, but with a Graphite Design AD IZ.

Now I just need to find the shaft up-charge fairy, to see if I can stomach that.

(And deal with that color combo)

Just got a delivery notice for Monday before the end of the day, too bad I have to leave Tuesday for a work trip. But it is on the way.

4bee06ccdfe22370bc29034e98ebbf02.jpg

Same Shaft- Helium 5F4
Same Ball - Chrome Soft

6 more carry yards.... Ponder mode engaged.

Back