Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Dusting off an old thread because I put this in play today and it settled my tee game. I was back to hitting a little cut or straight ball off the tee. Putting it in play today was like riding a bike. Callaway drivers just work for me and playing them reminds me of how easy this game can be if I get out of the way.

View attachment 9157457
View attachment 9157458
My favorite Callaway driver. I sold mine to a friend and I haven’t found anything as good to replace it. So, I’m about to buy another one in the hope that it can cure my driving issues.

The Epic Max LS was awesome for me today and it will not be getting replaced in 2022. I have had many drivers in the bag since I returned to golf in 2018, lets see if I can list them. M1 - Triton - ST190 - Z785 - EXS - Mavrik - Mavrik Max - Mavrik SZ. After using all three Mavrik drivers and settling on the std. version I really thought that nothing could be any better for me. I ordered a Max LS at release thinking it would just be another club to try. My first round with it I did not play all that great but I knew after just a few holes that this club was a whole different animal than what I had used before. I have a negative attack angle with driver that creates a ton of spin so the LS aspect of this club really helps keep the spin down. I also suck at golf and need the forgiveness that a Max style club provides and the Max LS has the most forgiving face that I have ever seen. It also sets up square behind the ball at address and has no draw bias which helps me with my pull hook miss. I will not be trying any new release drivers this year. The Tensei Pro orange Max LS combo performs better than I could have dreamed of and it is staying put for a while.
The above post was from November 2021 and nothing has changed between me and the Epic Max LS. Same head, same shaft and same high launching filthy bombs from the tee box. I love seeing this thread get bumped by folks that are still enjoying this release after a couple of years. Unless the head fails somehow I will be playing it for the foreseeable future.

The above post was from November 2021 and nothing has changed between me and the Epic Max LS. Same head, same shaft and same high launching filthy bombs from the tee box. I love seeing this thread get bumped by folks that are still enjoying this release after a couple of years. Unless the head fails somehow I will be playing it for the foreseeable future.
There is no reason for you to chase anything else. Routine 275 yd drives with the occasional 300yd drive is all you need. This setup works for you and I am sure you could eek out a few yards here or there, but nothing can replace the confidence you have.

I'm glad you let me try the Epic Speed. I was really beginning to question my tee game and yesterday helped me realize as much as I loved the driver I was using; it just wasn't a good fit for me. I'm excited to see what extended time with this one does.

Anyone still rocking the fairways? CPO is having crazy deals on these and I’m looking to upgrade the 5w spot and potentially the 3w spot as well

Anyone still rocking the fairways? CPO is having crazy deals on these and I’m looking to upgrade the 5w spot and potentially the 3w spot as well

5w in the bag and early results are really good. First time I’ve had a 5w in the bag in a long time and it reminds me of the 816 fairways which I know we both love

My favorite Callaway driver. I sold mine to a friend and I haven’t found anything as good to replace it. So, I’m about to buy another one in the hope that it can cure my driving issues.

I can't find a better one either and I test quite a bit. I currently have two Epic Speeds and tomorrow the Speed Triple Diamond DS arrives.

Still rocking the Max driver! If I didn't already have the Rouge ST 3w and 5w firmly in the bag, I'd seriously be looking this sale.

Great sale! I snagged two Epic Super hybrids for cheap.

Second round with the Epic Speed and I hit a good groove with it. Some lazy swings that got me in trouble but nothing to do with the driver itself. I’ll try to grab a LIN-Q shaft to test, but right now it’s working.

Also put the 5w in the bag and it’s solid. I hit some great shots and hit the lines I wanted

fun to have the top of the bag settled

New Epic Speed 5w is here and in the bag. “Like new” still in plastic for $100 is a killer deal. The thing looks great too! Sim golf on the schedule for tomorrow so we will see how it acts for me

Picked up a 10.5 max ls. Coming from a 9 degree mavrik max. Should be less draw bias and a different animal.

Picked up a 10.5 max ls. Coming from a 9 degree mavrik max. Should be less draw bias and a different animal.
Yea the Max LS is a different animal for sure. You get the forgiveness and launch of the Max with no draw bias and it's a bomber. Have fun man!

Yea the Max LS is a different animal for sure. You get the forgiveness and launch of the Max with no draw bias and it's a bomber. Have fun man!
Thanks. I fight high spin and overdraws so might try it with the weight toe side first. Never hit one before but it could be great.

Driving the golf ball is fun again. I’ve hit a nice groove with the Epic Speed once I figured out the tee height. Coming from the Mizuno I tee’d the ball up a little higher given the face height, with the Epic Speed I need to be lower and didn’t figure it out until yesterday.
Swing wise my tempo was off today but still managed to hit a few that got out there a decent distance. 11/14 & 8/13 fairways hit the last two rounds have me confidentish again with my tee game.

the 5w is just a straight up rocket launcher. I let @echico take some swings with it and his first response was “this is cheating” it just wants to go long and straight. This one is quickly becoming a reliable option to get me back in position or eat up some yards on longer par 5’s.

Driving the golf ball is fun again. I’ve hit a nice groove with the Epic Speed once I figured out the tee height. Coming from the Mizuno I tee’d the ball up a little higher given the face height, with the Epic Speed I need to be lower and didn’t figure it out until yesterday.
Swing wise my tempo was off today but still managed to hit a few that got out there a decent distance. 11/14 & 8/13 fairways hit the last two rounds have me confidentish again with my tee game.

the 5w is just a straight up rocket launcher. I let @echico take some swings with it and his first response was “this is cheating” it just wants to go long and straight. This one is quickly becoming a reliable option to get me back in position or eat up some yards on longer par 5’s.
I was gonna steal it when you weren't looking. :ROFLMAO:

The Epic Speed 5w is most likely going to be kicking the 3w out of the bag if what I see at the range translates to the course. What a monster of a club. Love how it looks, love how it feels and sounds and most of all, the distance is crazy. I've typically always carried a 3 and 5 wood but if I dont, I am ok with that

I have played the Epic Max LS for a couple years now and it just keeps on performing and cementing its place in my bag. I did well with the Tensei Pro Orange for a long while but after trying a Ventus Blue in a friends driver it got me wondering if I should make a switch. I recently moved into a Ventus Blue TR 6s and it has been incredible so far and made the Max LS feel like a new club. Whenever I hit a different driver I realize just how much I prefer the straight leading edge and really do not like the look of bulge and roll at address. This is the first driver that truly fits me, it's filthy out of the center of the face and my toe hook miss is negated more than I deserve. Yep, this one is special.

I finally got the swing in a spot where I can nail down a shaft for my 10.5* Epic Speed driver. The plan is this Friday to hit the range and have a session to let one of these be the last man standing. The winner will be the one with the tightest dispersion and hits that launch window I like to see. I don’t have any personal launch monitors so I’m going old school and lasering a flag and see how thing shake out.

87FBB07F-8151-49A4-9F21-0004E5578EF6.jpeg

I finally got the swing in a spot where I can nail down a shaft for my 10.5* Epic Speed driver. The plan is this Friday to hit the range and have a session to let one of these be the last man standing. The winner will be the one with the tightest dispersion and hits that launch window I like to see. I don’t have any personal launch monitors so I’m going old school and lasering a flag and see how thing shake out.

View attachment 9174025
I am interested in the results. My first round out with 10.5 ls I think the launch was kinda too high but could be the swing getting going.

View attachment 9174025
Ok THP, I got out this morning to settle this one out. A little windy, but overall nothing weather wise to make me think I didn’t get some good information to compare. Nothing scientific other than aiming at the 270 flag, hitting 10-15 balls each then alternating to keep the swings consistent and watching where the balls landed along with how tight the dispersion was.

1. This one was the longest carry but wider in the dispersion. Took the right out of play, but had a tough time syncing up. All the shots would be playable, but when I wasn’t within my tempo it moved more left but was long. Mid-High ball flight.

2. This one was the tightest dispersion of them all, but the shortest. Not by much but if I had to guess it was anywhere from 7-10 yds of carry. Felt great, could feel the head through the swing and produced a straight shot or a slight fade. I had a couple of draws but mostly straight or left to right. Highest ball flight of the three but was holding the line well. Didn’t feel like it was spinning too much.

3. This one was between both yardage wise and dispersion. It felt the best and could work the ball both ways, but the majority of the swings went straight or slight fade. Between the longest and this one, again eye balling, I would guess it was short by +-5 yds. Launched in that Mid-High window and didn’t lose the line.

Tough to figure out spin on these, but I would say they didn’t move a ton either way and were not going up and falling down. All three produced a ball that rose to the apex and held the line if that makes sense.

I have a pretty good idea which way I am going, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Ok THP, I got out this morning to settle this one out. A little windy, but overall nothing weather wise to make me think I didn’t get some good information to compare. Nothing scientific other than aiming at the 270 flag, hitting 10-15 balls each then alternating to keep the swings consistent and watching where the balls landed along with how tight the dispersion was.

1. This one was the longest carry but wider in the dispersion. Took the right out of play, but had a tough time syncing up. All the shots would be playable, but when I wasn’t within my tempo it moved more left but was long. Mid-High ball flight.

2. This one was the tightest dispersion of them all, but the shortest. Not by much but if I had to guess it was anywhere from 7-10 yds of carry. Felt great, could feel the head through the swing and produced a straight shot or a slight fade. I had a couple of draws but mostly straight or left to right. Highest ball flight of the three but was holding the line well. Didn’t feel like it was spinning too much.

3. This one was between both yardage wise and dispersion. It felt the best and could work the ball both ways, but the majority of the swings went straight or slight fade. Between the longest and this one, again eye balling, I would guess it was short by +-5 yds. Launched in that Mid-High window and didn’t lose the line.

Tough to figure out spin on these, but I would say they didn’t move a ton either way and were not going up and falling down. All three produced a ball that rose to the apex and held the line if that makes sense.

I have a pretty good idea which way I am going, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Sounds like 2 and 3. But could use more testing.

I find the feel is pretty muted with this driver. You can smoke the ball and it doesn't feel like it.

Round one with the 10.5* set at -1/D. I hit some decent shots off the tee and they had some serious distance. I was keeping up with @Jank on my better struck drives and that’s saying something. The flight is absolutely perfect for what I want to see. Nice mid flight that rises but doesn’t balloon on me. I had two penalties off the tee but those were back to back lazy swings on a par 5 that was all me and nothing to do with the club. I did key in on when I try to rush my tempo I catch the heel and I’m still getting some decent distance. Also there is something about the sound that I absolutely love. Not overly “tinny” but not a dead thud either. It’s somewhere in between and is still responsive on mishits to let you know you’ve gotten away from center.

the 5w was hit a few times and it has so much pop to it. Easy 215-220 when I need it and that is pretty cool to be able to lean on when I need it.

Last edited:
11/14 fairways hit yesterday with the Epic Speed paired with the Proforce V2. I’m really impressed with the distance I’m seeing and the overall weight of my set up. Something that is always talked about but kind of forgotten is the sound off the face. Well struck shots just feel/sound muted but with a slight “tinny” sound. The best sounding Callaway driver in a long time imo.

Back