Callaway Forged vs Cleveland 588 vs Cleveland 588 RTX CB

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
It is time to replace my current wedges Vokey SM 56.11 and SM 60.08. The worst part of my game is sand play. (Hate sand traps) The sand at our course is usually wet or hard until mid season when they dump in way too much soft stuff. Because our course has a poor irrigation system, the trap seem to be watered on a daily basis so nice sand turns into hard wet stuff within a month or so.

Now to the wedges of choice. My PW and GW are 45 and 50 so I am planning on going with a 54 and 58 to tighten the gap. I have been looking at the Callaway Forged, Cleveland 588 and Cleveland 588 RTX CB. I like the Callaway Forged C grind idea but have never played it. My thought was to have more bounce on the 54 and less bounce on the 58 for tight lies. I would then use the 58 on wet sand and 54 on soft sand.

The 588 has the most bounce options while the C Forged and RTX are limited on bounce options. The RTX looks like a lot of bounce on the 58. I am looking at the following:
  • C Forged = 54/11 & 58/9
  • 588 = 54/12 & 58/8
  • 588 RTX = 54/14 & 58/12
I can not make up my mind on which one to go with so I could use some help on the difference between the three. How they play out of the sand etc. Thank for you input.

The Cally Forged are seriously good wedges. I have them in 50, 54 and 60 love em. The cally out of the sand are very smooth. The C grind and optimal bounce makes them very versatile wedges. I haven't used to the 588 or the 588 RTX but i know the guys testing the RTX are really enjoying them.

You are sitting on a pretty darn good fence and no matter which way you fall, you are going to get an excellent wedge. The RTX CB is a different animal than the other two being perimeter weighting and a little bit head heavier in my opinion. The other two are blade style wedges with tremendous feel and wonderful versatility. Out of the two, I preferred the 588, but truthfully you cannot go wrong with either one.

When it comes down to my preference, it really is about comfort. I like the look of the hosel shape and head shape of the 588 line and the sole just works for me. I found the sole on the Cally's a leading more rounded (could just be my eye). Because of that I have yet to find a shot that the 588 wedge cannot handle. When I think of versatility it starts with the shape and weighting, and leads to the leading edge and sole and how it interacts with the turf you are playing on.

In the end, both are tremendous. Go with what suits your eye and you will be happy.

Just the other day I hit an ATV, 588, Vokey, and 588 RTX (56*). Took a couple warm ups with the ATV because I already have one. Of the others, the 588 was my least favorite just because of feel-but that's just personal preference. I liked the RTX the best although the Vokey was a close second. I mean it's hard to tell hitting off a mat, but I just liked the way I swung the RTX and how it interacted with the ball. For the record, I was only taking about half swings.

I would say your best option is to go swing a few if you have the chance.

Get the callaway, but check out the jaws to I liked it better.

Some good options you have narrowed it down to. I liked the looks of the 588 and the Forged. I played the Forged for most of the year and really liked them. Callaway straightened the leading edge from the Jaws and it completely changed the wedge. Much more traditional looking. The weighting of the Forged is heavy and that is my favorite part. Lets me know where the head is at all times. Personally I would go with less bounce on the 54 as I would be most likely to hit that from the fairway a bit more. The 58 would be my SW/LW and I would want more bounce on that one.

I just put a 588 in the bag and really like it. Granted it was replacing a really old and worn CG11 but the 588 just feels great IMO

Great options there, I agree with some others that you can't go wrong either way. I think the Callaway Forged and the 588 are definitely going to be a completely different beast than the 588 CB. I have not hit the 588s but I have held them and I have seen them perform miraculously, but I have played the Callaways for the past season and I can say that for all the wedges I have ever used, they are the best to me (note the bolded part). I was worried when I got them that I wouldn't get much spin out of them because they were my first set of wedges with the newer grooves, I thought I would lose a lot of spin. I didn't lose any spin at all, I probably actually gained some spin around the greens. The weight of the head on the Callaway wedge makes it extremely versitile in any lie including thick rough and sand. The club just glides smoothly through it as if it is not even there.

Back