Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Are you using it as a 4 Hybrid replacement like I was thinking of doing?

If the distances play out, yes. Thought it may replace my 5h, in which case I'd put a 5i in the bag for par 3s.
So I had a few great shots with this today. I'm not still 100% sure on distances, but it's not as long as my 4h (D200). It's probably closer to my 5h but the flight is so much higher that I think I can see keeping both in the bag. My 5h is pretty versatile ... from long second shots, to my punchout club ... I'd rather pull that in some instances than the DN. Since I have a slot, I may as well keep them both in for now.

So I had a few great shots with this today. I'm not still 100% sure on distances, but it's not as long as my 4h (D200). It's probably closer to my 5h but the flight is so much higher that I think I can see keeping both in the bag. My 5h is pretty versatile ... from long second shots, to my punchout club ... I'd rather pull that in some instances than the DN. Since I have a slot, I may as well keep them both in for now.

Thanks for the update...I'm pondering some type of FW metal to replace my 3/4 hybo. The divine 9 and a 7 (or 7-8) wood are possibilities. If the divine 9 is going to be much shorter than my HW (which is 190-200) it may not work. The Forged Tec 5i is sneaky long so not sure how to gap everything. My HW has been automatic though, which is why the Divine 9 is an option.

Great thread. I'm thinking about adding this and the Heavenwood to the set of Sterling single lengths I just got in 6# through Gap Wedge.
But the those darn shaft lengths...

Would it be possible to have my club repair guy cut off the stock shaft to 40.5" and add some lead tape to get back to a decent swing weight? Or is that not a good idea?

Great thread. I'm thinking about adding this and the Heavenwood to the set of Sterling single lengths I just got in 6# through Gap Wedge.
But the those darn shaft lengths...

Would it be possible to have my club repair guy cut off the stock shaft to 40.5" and add some lead tape to get back to a decent swing weight? Or is that not a good idea?
Not sure. I know that at 41.5" the DN is very easy to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my second round of the season in and I forgot how awesome this club is stock. Point and shoot with no sidespin, checks up nicely on a green.

Got my second round of the season in and I forgot how awesome this club is stock. Point and shoot with no sidespin, checks up nicely on a green.
I enjoyed this club a lot more than I thought I would. Just so easy to hit.keep the updates coming Karl.

I enjoyed this club a lot more than I thought I would. Just so easy to hit.keep the updates coming Karl.

Will do. I have it at +1" with a dritac grip. I doubt I will ever hit an iron or hybrid that well for that distance gap.

I just wanted to give more props to the V Series Heavenwood and GBB D9. Im a notoriously low ball hitter due to poor ball striking. Today, I had two shots from 190 out in medium rough. Both shots landed and the green and were able to 2 putt for pars. No other club I have ever tried were able to give these kind of results. Along with the GBB D9, I'm enjoying 160 yards and out again. I put swings at the Redtail Golf Center of the Epic HW and D9, and I just did not like them as much. I did not get as much height as the V Series HW. The head size of the EPIC's (especially the D9) seemed weird to me. Ill stick with the V Series HW and GBB d9 for sure.

I just wanted to give more props to the V Series Heavenwood and GBB D9. Im a notoriously low ball hitter due to poor ball striking. Today, I had two shots from 190 out in medium rough. Both shots landed and the green and were able to 2 putt for pars. No other club I have ever tried were able to give these kind of results. Along with the GBB D9, I'm enjoying 160 yards and out again. I put swings at the Redtail Golf Center of the Epic HW and D9, and I just did not like them as much. I did not get as much height as the V Series HW. The head size of the EPIC's (especially the D9) seemed weird to me. Ill stick with the V Series HW and GBB d9 for sure.

Agree - the GBB D9 was a consistent club for me. Should have kept it. And yes, the Epic Heavenwood is BIG. I went with the smaller Epic 5 wood.

Last edited:
Well, I love my HWood and hate hybrids. Maybe I should give the D9 a look.

Gaming both the Heaven Wood and Divine Nine at the moment the Divine Nine was a direct replacement for my 4 Iron.

Due to you forumites, I picked up a used heavenwood. Love that club. Have to thank you for that. Even used it to hit and stick on three holes yesterday. Shot an 83 yesterday and that heavenwood played big part.

Now I'm hearing about the Divine nine. Gonna find a lefty used and have that replace my hybrid.

Back