Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Awwwwww yeahhhh
fbcfc10546b8e98f6285675c2dcffb96.jpg

#GameChanger

It is a fun club, I am itching to get back out and hit mine some more.

Any slower swingers game this ?
Curious what club it replaced for you. I hit my 19* 5w, and 20* and 23* hybrids pretty well but any higher loft club intrigues me.

I forget. What's the length of this one ?

Mikeg how are you getting along with your D9? Loving it? Hating it? Still getting used to it?

I am hoping to hit Mikeg's a few times when we play this weekend.

After swapping this out of the bag for the early part of the season, I threw it back in the bag for this weekends play. I missed it. Found multiple spots on the course where I can use it both from the FW on Par 5's and on a few tee shots when I need to hit to a target. Just so easy to hit and I love how high I can hit the ball with it. Sure I love the Apex 4H(which is still in the bag with it), and the distances on AVG probably aren't that different, but this just fits in the bag nicely.

Getting my heavenwood cut down tomorrow and I'm anxious to see the difference. I recently got my driver cut and that feels so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting my heavenwood cut down tomorrow and I'm anxious to see the difference. I recently got my driver cut and that feels so much better.

Let us know how it works out. And if you see a distance loss.
I had the HW last year. On my scale it measured 43 1/8" which was way too long for me (I play a 43.5" driver, -1" hybrids) and prefer my fairways around 41"-41.5" with 42" max. I figured if I shortened it essentially it would be a normal 7w at that point and not enough gapping from my 20* hybrid.

Let us know how it works out. And if you see a distance loss.
I had the HW last year. On my scale it measured 43 1/8" which was way too long for me (I play a 43.5" driver, -1" hybrids) and prefer my fairways around 41"-41.5" with 42" max. I figured if I shortened it essentially it would be a normal 7w at that point and not enough gapping from my 20* hybrid.

You think shortening it could potentially take away from the identity of the club?

You think shortening it could potentially take away from the identity of the club?

The club was designed to be 3/4 wood shaft length with the added loft of a 7 wood. Per Callaway.

So in theory by shortening it to say 41-42" it's now back to a more traditional 7w.

Since I play shorter clubs I'm not ruling anything out though lol.

I actually tried a Great Big Bertha Heavenwood Head on a Bertha 3h shaft. Playing length was probably 40.5" and it was one of the neatest clubs I've ever hit. Right now prices are still too high to build a frankenclub like that.

The club was designed to be 3/4 wood shaft length with the added loft of a 7 wood. Per Callaway.

So in theory by shortening it to say 41-42" it's now back to a more traditional 7w.

Since I play shorter clubs I'm not ruling anything out though lol.

I actually tried a Great Big Bertha Heavenwood Head on a Bertha 3h shaft. Playing length was probably 40.5" and it was one of the neatest clubs I've ever hit. Right now prices are still too high to build a frankenclub like that.

Makes sense and is certainly something to think about. My thought was that since my driver felt better after being cut than this sure would too (not that it wouldn't). I didn't look at it from the viewpoint of it actually changing the type of club it is as well.

Is anyone still playing this club? I hit this a few times at golfsmith and it was pretty good. Not sure where it would slot in for me and if it would be worth it to look into. I have been crushing the heavenwood lately.

Is anyone still playing this club? I hit this a few times at golfsmith and it was pretty good. Not sure where it would slot in for me and if it would be worth it to look into. I have been crushing the heavenwood lately.

I do. I alternate having it vs a 3 wood in the bag.

I do. I alternate having it vs a 3 wood in the bag.

It's a pretty sweet club. I only had a handful of swings so I have to see where it would gap for me. The heavenwood has been so good for me I am really intrigued.

I don't like hybrids below 25 degrees and the Divine 9 is a great club. My fitter says the game would be easier if I go to a regular flex and lighter club, so XR16 9 is coming, and the D9 with KK Silver 60 S goes back to Callaway unless...

This club really intrigues me. I have yet to find a hybrid I get along with in the 4 years I've been playing, but I absolutely love my Heavenwood and hit it really well from a number of lies. Something about the larger fairway wood head just agrees with me.

Could be a very stupid question. If I was to order one of these and have them add an 3/4 of an inch on the shaft would that give it a heavenwood like effect? Higher loft with a longer shaft. Like I said this could be completely stupid of an idea but it was something that popped into my head.

I haven't been able to get the Divine Nine out on the course yet. Just curious, how does this club ( or the Epic Divine Nine) do out of light to medium rough? Just curious.

I haven't been able to get the Divine Nine out on the course yet. Just curious, how does this club ( or the Epic Divine Nine) do out of light to medium rough? Just curious.
I've have not had any problems launching balls out of light or medium lies. The Divine 9 is my 200 yard club. Launches high and lands softly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was more than ok with it out of light to medium rough. Really depending how the ball was sitting.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

I finally got this puppy built (UST Mamiya Elements Wind) and out for a few swings. It feels awesome and the 41.5" length was perfect. The ball really launches high ... couldn't get distance but I'll do that in a couple days. This might be a weapon for me and stick around in my bag. Was easy to hit off the deck as well.

I am also putting this back in my bag as a 4H replacement. I was playing a shortened 7 wood, but the larger face I had on the XR16 wood was messing with my head from a 4H distance. I'm looking forward to it. I also put the Big Bertha HW back in the bag too. I have to get used to the longer shaft on the HW, but I think I can adapt to it. I think I may try to hit the EPIC HW and D9 at some point this summer. If I like it, I will purchase it on the CPO BOGO sale later this year

Are you using it as a 4 Hybrid replacement like I was thinking of doing?
I finally got this puppy built (UST Mamiya Elements Wind) and out for a few swings. It feels awesome and the 41.5" length was perfect. The ball really launches high ... couldn't get distance but I'll do that in a couple days. This might be a weapon for me and stick around in my bag. Was easy to hit off the deck as well.

Are you using it as a 4 Hybrid replacement like I was thinking of doing?

If the distances play out, yes. Thought it may replace my 5h, in which case I'd put a 5i in the bag for par 3s.

Put the Heavenwood and Divine Nine into play today. I love this combination. Although the course I played in Oregon is a soppy mess, these clubs still performed well given the conditions. I used the Divine 9 on several tight par 4's off the tee, and it was great. The launch on these are incredible. The only problem I see during the winter is a lot of courses can not mow due to the water so everywhere on the course is basically long grass. I was having a difficult time on a few shots getting through the muddy grass, but overall I was happy. I am replacing the Divine 9 from my 4 hybrid spot. I will have to adjust playing a longer shaft from a shorter distance from the green than I'm used to, but it is fine. Fun club for sure.

Back