Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

No ill effects on dynamic launch angle and height? I am assuming you are a positive AoA swing type?

No problems with either launch angle or height. I tend to hit the ball pretty high and when I tested it at 7* at ECPC, I saw a great ball flight. I honestly don't know what my AoA is, but I definitely don't have a steep swing, so I'd imagine it's positive.

Callaway claims that the original version of the Mavrick is the fastest shape, while the Max head shape is the most forgiving.
For those GD participants, do you find this statement to be true? In your testing, did you see a difference in clubhead speed between the two? Was the Max truly the more forgiving head in terms of dispersion?

I won't steal his thunder, but I know @HarryPotter has tested the two side-by-side.

Right now only PGA SS and Golf Galaxy are doing the 50% trade in bonus. That might change, but I don't know 100%

You will not sacrifice distance, trust me.

I see what you did there & I love it!

Thanks. Appreciate the info. Ill wait and hope that Callway comes up with a trade in bonus, because the Mavrik is the driver I really want. Taylormade is willing to give me 100$ more for my 2 trades so it makes their line 100 cheaper. Hopefully Callaway will end up offering a similar trade in bonus. I prefer to order direct from callaway as I order my Driver 1" short.

Now it's too dull? :)
I know you’re joking, and I agree people will go that way, some, but honestly it’s more boisterous than the Epic or Rogue without being loud and harsh like the Flash, it might be the best sound they’ve had since the XR16 for me.

I also want to add, the shape of the standard is wild. The Cyclone story is real, and these shapes are anything but traditional from underneath.

DSC01142-XL.jpg

DSC01143-XL.jpg

For somereason the underside of the back looks like a humpback whale to me. Dunno why. Just hit me.

Besides that, the orange is actually really nice. Good balance of color and hue that's not to gaudy. Pleasing to the eye the more I see of it.

Email from CallawayGolf in ref to 50% trade in:

Receive a 50% Trade-In Bonus​
Towards the new Mavrik family of woods, hybrids and irons.*
Add coupon code to your cart to activate 50% bonus.
COUPON CODE:​
BONUSMAV​
*Receive a 50% trade-in bonus on date/time of fitting event, only, towards the purchase of MAVRIK Drivers, MAVRIK Sub Zero Drivers, MAVRIK MAX Drivers, MAVRIK Fairway Woods, MAVRIK Sub Zero Fairway Woods, MAVRIK MAX Fairway Woods, MAVRIK Hybrids, MAVRIK Pro Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX W Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX W Lite Hybrids, MAVRIK Irons, MAVRIK Pro Irons, MAVRIK Max Irons, MAVRIK MAX W Irons, MAVRIK MAX W Lite Irons. VALID AT PARTICIPATING GREEN GRASS ACCOUNTS ONLY. For Irons purchase, trade-in no fewer than six (6) and up to nine (9) eligible irons/hybrids/wedges and for woods purchase, limit one (1) club trade-in per club purchased. For a list of eligible trade-in products, visit www. callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/trade-in-trade-up/. Value guide price set by CGI TITU rate card. Not combinable with other offers. Not redeemable for cash. Not transferable to any other products. Callaway reserves the right to cancel this offer at any time. Void where prohibited.​

I know you’re joking, and I agree people will go that way, some, but honestly it’s more boisterous than the Epic or Rogue without being loud and harsh like the Flash, it might be the best sound they’ve had since the XR16 for me.

Definitely joking. Coming from someone who actually likes the Epic sound, the only thing I could say negative about it was the harshness. I don't mind loud. I don't mind "pingy". Harsh however gets me. Mellowing the Epic without changing the tone and the impact would be ideal for me. Sounds like this is very close to that between the description and the video's I've seen. Can't wait to hear/feel it in person.

Also....

This, makes me immensely happy.

DSC01144-XL.jpg

Equally so is that the STUPID line on the crown from the Flash is GONE.

Callaway claims that the original version of the Mavrick is the fastest shape, while the Max head shape is the most forgiving.
For those GD participants, do you find this statement to be true? In your testing, did you see a difference in clubhead speed between the two? Was the Max truly the more forgiving head in terms of dispersion?
I’m not a robot obviously, but I swung the max faster than all comers and had better smash results. Probably my sh***y swing, but it works for me!

I agree with this sentiment 110percent. I loved the xr16 sound and this is absolutely the best sounding since then.

I also want to add, the shape of the standard is wild. The Cyclone story is real, and these shapes are anything but traditional from underneath.

DSC01142-XL.jpg

DSC01143-XL.jpg

It seems to only apply to the standard mav though. The SZ is much more traditional.

I can't speak for everybody, but I'm pretty sure most of the fitters watched our swings and pretty much decided which driver we would test from the start without bouncing all around. I know for me, it was Max from the very first swing. We never tried anything else. I have a little Standard itch I'd like to scratch at some point, but when my swing is all over the place it's pretty silly to put anything other than the Max in my bag.

DSC01142-XL.jpg

DSC01143-XL.jpg

Not sure if you saw my post a page back or so.

Does anyone know why only the Std got the aero treatment ? Seems like with the moveable weights they could have used the aero shape on the Max and SZ too and still hit the desired launch, flight and spin windows they were hoping for, no ?

It seems to only apply to the standard mav though. The SZ is much more traditional.
Eh. Not really. The shape is still changed from the Flash SZ. All three are notably different than the Flashes in all side by sides I’ve seen.

I'm just chiming in to echo what others have said above, but this is definitely true. I had a good discussion with @DNevsCG about it. It was important to Callaway to have the 130 MSI and to have the real thing.

From what I've read.......apparently it was also VERY important to Aldila (perhaps more so than Callaway?).

They apparently are looking for more uptake..... I'm just stating what I've read on the interwebs....not claiming this to be facts.

Not sure if you saw my post a page back or so.

Does anyone know why only the Std got the aero treatment ? Seems like with the moveable weights they could have used the aero shape on the Max and SZ too and still hit the desired launch, flight and spin windows they were hoping for, no ?

I can't answer why they did this. I can only answer what the desire is for each line:

Standard - Fastest
Max - Most Forgiving
SZ - Lowest spin

Email from CallawayGolf in ref to 50% trade in:

Receive a 50% Trade-In Bonus​
Towards the new Mavrik family of woods, hybrids and irons.*
Add coupon code to your cart to activate 50% bonus.
COUPON CODE:​
BONUSMAV​

*Receive a 50% trade-in bonus on date/time of fitting event, only, towards the purchase of MAVRIK Drivers, MAVRIK Sub Zero Drivers, MAVRIK MAX Drivers, MAVRIK Fairway Woods, MAVRIK Sub Zero Fairway Woods, MAVRIK MAX Fairway Woods, MAVRIK Hybrids, MAVRIK Pro Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX W Hybrids, MAVRIK MAX W Lite Hybrids, MAVRIK Irons, MAVRIK Pro Irons, MAVRIK Max Irons, MAVRIK MAX W Irons, MAVRIK MAX W Lite Irons. VALID AT PARTICIPATING GREEN GRASS ACCOUNTS ONLY. For Irons purchase, trade-in no fewer than six (6) and up to nine (9) eligible irons/hybrids/wedges and for woods purchase, limit one (1) club trade-in per club purchased. For a list of eligible trade-in products, visit www. callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/trade-in-trade-up/. Value guide price set by CGI TITU rate card. Not combinable with other offers. Not redeemable for cash. Not transferable to any other products. Callaway reserves the right to cancel this offer at any time. Void where prohibited.​

THANK YOU!! the code works it doesnt update the trade value but I just received the email from callaway as well saying they will credit the 50% bonus.

I agree with this sentiment 110percent. I loved the xr16 sound and this is absolutely the best sounding since then.
Careful with agreeing with crazy ole me :p

this is worth quoting to highlight the importance of fitting. @radiman and @NoShanks are our highest speed players, and they both got fit for the standard. @Snickerdoodle is a very good player, but got fit into the max. @clarkgriswold spins his driver around 10,000 (that's only barely an exaggeration haha) yet he's in the max not the sz.

stop me if you've heard this before: GET FIT

I’m eager to get more time and finish the review on the standard, but, I want to also hit the max.

These look good. From everything everyone is saying though, get fit is key. I’d venture to say I’d fit in the Sub Zero but who knows. Off to the FW and hybrid threads though wow. Whole line looks great.

Back