Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

Recieved my mavrik pro 3h. Love the way this sets up behind the ball. And I can see the left, as opposed to the 16 apex 3h where it looked so closed.
20200624_195321.jpg

Recieved my mavrik pro 3h. Love the way this sets up behind the ball. And I can see the left, as opposed to the 16 apex 3h where it looked so closed.
View attachment 8950558

i loved the mav pro hybrid. i wasn’t getting enough out of it, but i did love it.

i loved the mav pro hybrid. i wasn’t getting enough out of it, but i did love it.

I've found myself hitting hybrid a lot less on my home course lately, but when I need it, the Mav Pro 2 hybrid is one of my favorite clubs. It's been really versatile for me. I can use it as essentially the equivalent of a 5 wood from the fairway on par 5s or even choke down a little and use it like a 3 iron or driving iron on long par 3s into the wind. It's just really easy to hit.

I've found myself hitting hybrid a lot less on my home course lately, but when I need it, the Mav Pro 2 hybrid is one of my favorite clubs. It's been really versatile for me. I can use it as essentially the equivalent of a 5 wood from the fairway on par 5s or even choke down a little and use it like a 3 iron or driving iron on long par 3s into the wind. It's just really easy to hit.

and how good does it sound/feel too???

it's a very different head shape from what I think a lot of people expect from a pro-style hybrid, though. I continue to not understand why they went that direction.

and how good does it sound/feel too???

it's a very different head shape from what I think a lot of people expect from a pro-style hybrid, though. I continue to not understand why they went that direction.

I agree. I came from a very narrow, more iron-like hybrid (for lack of a better description). This profile is a good bit larger and not really what I would think of as a "pro" style profile. But I honestly don't really even notice it anymore.

I hit my Mav 5W for a tee shot on a short (260 yard) par 4 yesterday. Hit a nice 238 yard baby draw, leaving me a chip to the green. 238 is usually driver territory for me!

Anyone hit the Mavrik standard 3 wood vs the sub zero 3 wood? I have the standard 5 wood and love it but my buddy said he is killing his sub 3 wood. Any advice appreciated!

there’s some secret pixie dust in my max 5w. it’s magical. hit a terrible drive on the par 5 4th. ball was in the rough, a hair above my feet. the hole bends gently to the left. pulled 5w and put a good move on it. mid flight gentle draw flew perfectly with the contours of the hole, finishing at 240. that’s bonkers when my driver only averages 250 haha

I went to Club Champion earlier this month for a hybrid fitting. The Mavrik 18-degree was one of the two finalists. Like so many of the reviewers I had a smash factor right around 1.50. That is so unusual for a hybrid. Very consistent and even at 18 degrees the ball launched higher than you would expect producing an angle of descent consistently above 40 degrees, even on a straight shot. A fade is easy to increase that by 8-10 degrees. This makes it very easy to hold greens.

My driver SS is mid-90s and my ball striking is very consistent. I like to shape shots, especially with approach shots.

I ended up going with the Ping G410 18-degree, but it was a close call. I found both clubs very consistent and easy to shape shots. The Mavrik hybrid is a great club.

For me, the deciding factors were two-fold.

1. The Ping G410 gave me a greater range of possibilities. I can hit a fade with an angle of descent of 48-50 degrees, which is great for holding greens. But I can also hit a tight draw with a 30 degree angle of descent and run it up with 15-20 additional total yards. This really covers the whole gap on long approach shots between my 4-iron and fairway metal. The Mavrik insists on a higher shot and angle of descent above 40 degrees.
2. The face of the G410 was SO HOT. My first swing with it had a smash factor of 1.48. After that I didn't have a swing below 1.50 and 1.52 was most common. This gave me 5-10 additional yards on straight shots. This gives me additional range at the top end.

P. S. All the data above was done with a shaft fitted for my swing. So, if you are looking to buy off the rack clubs your results may be different, even if your swing is similar to mine.

They should just rename it to the 235 wood.

So, playing my second round this past week (which is also only the 2nd round since Feb for me) at Trails of Frisco. First time at the course, and only one person in our foursome had been there.

About half way through the round, pulled driver as I had been hitting it okay and wanted to give it another go. Drew the club back, and smooth stroke forward and had a beautiful arch on the ball. Of course it went 15 yards to the right and maybe 10 yards forward.

lob.JPG

So, now I'm on a downhill lie and have to get over a small creek ahead and not screw myself over worse. One guy in our group was rather boisterous (had never met him), and was talking before and after ever shot about everything. He immediately began saying, "oh you GOTTA hit driver off the deck for that one. You GOTTA go driver. I'd love to see you go driver for that one!" I took two steps towards the ball...about faced...and headed back to the bag to pull the Max 5w. Not a chance I'd try any other club, knowing what I was trying to do.

Sure enough, hit a nice shot that went about 170 yards into the middle of the fairway. The dude was going on and on about that being a golf shot and that he was going to call his dad about what a golf shot it was. I was happy about it, but he was evidently over the moon. :LOL:

2ndshot.JPG

All that to say, the Max 5w is and has been a life saver multiple times over. It's amazing what a club that instills confidence in you can do.

Anyone hit the Mavrik standard 3 wood vs the sub zero 3 wood? I have the standard 5 wood and love it but my buddy said he is killing his sub 3 wood. Any advice appreciated!
I played the Standard 3w until my SZ came in. The Standard 3W is slightly bigger than the SZ. For me I needed the spin reduction of the SZ. Both launch easily enough and haven't had any issues with ballooning at all.

Heavy winds today and had a shot from 197 into a 20mph wind. We where back a good ways from the trees on the right edge of the fairway and my buddy said there is not way to cut over the edge, play a big fade around it. I showed him how easily the 5W will launching get the ball up when needed and went just over the trees and ended up about 3 feet short of the pin. :cool:
Pretty sure he may have one in the bag the next time we play.

Hit the Sub Zero and was seeing driver like ball speeds, low spin (for me), and good dispersion. I have only hit it indoors, but Callaway nailed the sound/feel.

messed around with the max 5w on the range today. that is the most fun club in my bag. i love it so much. high, soft draws that just explode off the face.

Hit the most absolute pure 3 wood I have hit my entire life. Standard Mavrik 3 wood. Aldila rogue white.
Approach on a par 5. Slight baby draw, rolled onto the front edge of the green. 2 putt birdie.

I need to find a way to hit more 3 woods like this shot.

F325A77E-6862-4578-9EF4-468338B9D9E8.jpeg

I need to find a way to hit more 3 woods like this shot.
That was an incredible shot. Offering this in the hope that it helps you reach your goal.

I find my pure fairway metals have these elements.
  • Smooth and wide takeaway
  • with a slight pause at the top
  • and smooth acceleration on the downswing powered by my legs and core
  • with a face absolutely square at impact that puts all the energy into the back of the ball and an ever so shallow scrap or divot beyond the ball
  • and a full finish.
I especially focus on these two thoughts smooth swing and square ball first contact. But for me, those are the elements that produce that long piercing shot that we all want from our fairway metals. Hope you find something here that you can use.

As I work on fixing my body and tempo, I've started to see some shots with these fairway woods and hybrids which remind me how unbelievably good they are. Smooth swings with the 5H today produced just absurd results: high draws that carry just short of 200. On two different par 5s, I hit low crappy hooks off the tee leaving me a long way to the green. But a pounded 5H on each left me a wedge Into the green.

I picked up a Mav Pro 4H, which I put in the bag yesterday. I hit some decent shots with it, but I was still learning the shaft on the course, so my ball striking was pretty inconsistent. But I did not hit a single shot left, which was very nice.

Perhaps the 5H just wanted its spot back in the bag? :). Either way, I was happy with today's performance.

3 and 5W's where really good today. I have the SZ model in both. We have one hole on my course that plays right at 210 yards from the back tee and the 5W is the perfect club fro me for that shot. Nice high ball flight that will land fairly soft and not roll out to much.
I am able to use the 3W on both par 5's generally, and the 3W will allow me to get close enough for a short chip or reach the green and have a chance at a good birdie.
Both have the Riptide shaft in reg flex and work well for my slower swing speed..

We where getting a lot of roll out today as the course is dry so used the 3W SZ off the tee a couple times on two holes that have narrower fairways. Good results with it, and not much distance loss from the driver. Very easy to hit a draw with the SZ.

I got a chance to hit my Mav Max 3W on several par 5’s. This thing is so easy to launch and the VYLYN shaft I have paired with it is perfect. I’m consistently getting 220-235 out of this thing every time. It helped me get really close in two and was a big reason for me making birdie on three of the 4 par 5’s today.

I pulled my standard 15* 3W with Riptide a little while back in favor of the newer and shinier SIM I picked up. I'm keeping the SIM, but I sold the standard Mavrik despite it being a really good club for me in favor of the sub zero setup I fit myself into originally back in January. Should be a little closer competition with the SIM. Excited for it to get here this week. It was a beast setup for me when I first hit it. Too much. That's why I went with the standard, but summer is here so it's time to get down to business.

A lot of good shots today with my Mav Max HW and 3W. The 3w continues to be the club that is giving me an easy 220+ from the fairway. On a longer par five I had 255 to the middle of the green and hit the 3w 242 (GPS measured). It is really easy to launch and get going down the fairway in a hurry.

The HW bailed me out on some longer par 3's with wind and elevation. I had to dial it back a little which is always tough with this club, but each time it made the par3's easy and a non issue.

Hello there. 2EE020EE-7B5C-4149-BECB-D3837C0CA0E6.jpeg
I did not anticipate having a MAVRIK 3w in the bag this year but here we are. The last few years I’ve had a 4w in the bag and with the recent addition of a driving iron, the distance gap between the driving iron and 4w was too close to keep both in the bag. I was in search of something that could give me more distance off the tee that I could control. My 4w was a club I could hit with confidence that I would find the fairway and if not have a miss that would not kill me.

I brought in my 4w for my “fitting” at Golf Galaxy so I could get a baseline. I really just wanted to hit the TaylorMade and Callaway offerings and started off with the Mavrik SZ with the Alidla Rogue White 70x. I loved the look of the club at address—not as deep as my current gamer but not overly shallow. From the first swing, the feel/sound was impressive—a solid thwack. I hit a handful more and the dispersion was very good for me, the ball speed slightly shocking and the distance was there.

I’ve been through about 5 fittings and I think I have a good sense of what works and what feel I am looking from the shaft. I was comfortable with the Rogue White but wanted to flatten out the ball flight a bit so we went to the 3+ and I was getting driver-like ball speed numbers from it from the first swing. Hitting on a monitor it’s always easy to feel good about what you are seeing but even on the misses, the ball speed, distance, and dispersion did not fall off much.

I hit the TaylorMade next, but honestly, felt like I had found the winner already so I took a few swings with it and came back to the Mavrik. I hit a few more and saw the same results and next thing I know, the order is placed.

I‘ve gotten it out for 9 holes so far and I’m happy with what I’ve seen—the distance and great control I was looking for. Distance-wise I’m guessing it’s about 15-20 yards behind a well-struck driver, but the misses so far are not as penal. I had another 2020 FW release in the bag and didn’t have the same immediate good results, so I’m hoping I’ve found a keeper.

Final piece to the bag is here. I can’t wait to get back out on the course with this one.

16E4E230-A6AF-49C2-B111-F6E24F81A5FA.jpeg

Back