Callaway MAVRIK Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New lineup of irons from Callaway called MAVRIK and we have all of the details on each of the sets on the home page here.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That's a heck of a release and like what they are doing with each individual iron head to control the launch, spin, and distance. I dont know what I was expecting while waiting for the unveiling, but dang they look good! And the price point is awesome, so nice to see irons under $1000.

Well Done Callaway!

1578985457810.png
1578985367587.png
1578985407752.png

Ok, I am sorry to bombard with a bunch of pictures first. I had to cleanse the pallet after the leaked pics were of pretty poor quality.

Here we are. The Mavrik Pro irons. A set that I never would have dreamt that I would end up with, lol. Now, not that I assumed it wasn’t a great iron. I have just always played a forged players CB. So, the internet golf snob within me ate a bit of crow once I saw these clubs in hand and saw how they performed. They are absolutely gorgeous. I mean, look at these things!

1578985527407.png

1578985552693.png

They have so much built into such a great looking package. The topline is manageable. It’s not quite as thin as what I am used to, but it’s not a deal breaker for me by any means. The sole is just about the same size as my previous Apex Pros. The offset. Visually, they almost appear to have less offset than my Apex Pros. They just check all of the boxes visually for me.

1578985582148.png

The Tech Story:

So, as you are all are aware by now. The same AI that has been optimizing faces for metal woods has been leveraged to optimize the faces of the Mavrik irons. Much like the woods, each club has a face design unique to itself. So, my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than my 7 iron, my 6 iron, and so on. But, what’s cool about that is that my Mavrik Pro 8 iron has a different face than the Standard Mavrik iron, which has a different face than the Mavrik Max iron. Each club is a completely unique design in and of itself.

Behind that uniquely designed face is a blend of tungsten and urethane microspheres. Giving the irons a very solid feel. They are a cast club don’t get me wrong. But, they do not feel like a cast club I have hit before.

Looks:

I don’t know if I really need to say anything about their looks other than drop these here.

1578985619528.png
1578985646737.png

Performance:

These irons are ball speed monsters. Lol. In head to head testing, I have seen anywhere from 7-10 mph more ball speed between these and my Apex Pros. Equating to just over a full club longer in length. My first test was on a GC2. I am posting the numbers here, but want to make mention that the spin readings in a driver test shortly after this was reading way off. So, take these with a grain of salt.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
Mav_Pro_7iron.jpg

Apex Pro (2016) 7 Iron
Apex_Pro(2016)_7iron.jpg

It is kind of hard to tell on the screen shots. But, my Apex Pro was carrying roughly exactly what I expect to see in mid season. 185 vs the Mavrik Pro at 209. The spin was reading pretty low on this unit that day, so I do not trust those carry numbers 100%. Below are some Trackman readings that are probably a better representation.

This past weekend, I tested these two irons again on an actual Trackman and saw similar results. Still a club longer, and still a ball speed monster.

Mavrik Pro 7 Iron
Mav Pro 7 Iron.PNG

Apex Pro 7 Iron
Apex Pro 7 Iron.PNG

These results are a lot more palatable. The Mavrik 7 iron is essentially going to replace my 6 iron at that distance.

They produce a little bit less spin, but I am seeing similar decent angles between the two clubs. While playing at The Hideaway, I was not having any trouble holding greens with these clubs all the way up to the 5 iron (the longest club I hit out there). I am also noticing a significant drop in launch angle. These irons are putting me into a more ideal launch window. The spin numbers seem low. But, I attribute that to being indoor readings on mats. I don’t doubt that once I am hitting these off real turf that my spin should increase.

During the fitting process, we only hit 7 irons. It was frantic and at the end of the hour long full bag fitting, my fitter asked what set makeup I wanted. I just said 4-PW as I always get. That was a mistake. With the additional length, I will be dropping the 4 iron and adding a set GW. I will essentially just slide my distances one club over to start with. The beauty of this is, my new 5 iron is easier to hit than my old 4 iron, but goes the same distance. All I have to say about that is, there won’t be a safe par 5!

I won’t lie. Something about picking up a club + across the entire bag is a little scary. But, I am optimistic that I can turn that into an asset this season.

To end this post, all I can say is that I go down to my basement and stare at these clubs at least twice a day. Can you blame me?

1578986265676.png

Attachments

• 1578986195877.png
    1578986195877.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
That’s a lot of golf club for money. Wow!

Another great review.

Nice price point. And again, I really like the splash of colour there. Looking forward to hearing all about these from the THP’ers who’ve had these in their bags!

Great review @radiman ?
The irons look awesome and great price!

** I was fit for the Max irons, but due to inventory shortages, I only hit them at ECPC. They will be shipped to me shortly, and I will be adding information regarding the Max irons as soon as possible. **

That being said, during my fitting, I was hitting the Epic Forged and the Max irons. The numbers that Nick was seeing showed the forgiveness that the Max line offers. The optimized AI face cup as well as the low CG, the stability was apparent as soon as I began hitting them. Stock graphite shaft is the Project X Catalyst 65 and wow, they’re fantastic. Super stable and so far I’m liking them just as much or more than my previous Recoils.

The lofts of the Max line essentially mirror what the Big Bertha line has.

I’m really looking forward to getting these in my hands again and get to work with them.

** I was fit for the Max irons, but due to inventory shortages, I only hit them at ECPC. They will be shipped to me shortly, and I will be adding information regarding the Max irons as soon as possible. **

That being said, during my fitting, I was hitting the Epic Forged and the Max irons. The numbers that Nick was seeing showed the forgiveness that the Max line offers. The optimized AI face cup as well as the low CG, the stability was apparent as soon as I began hitting them. Stock graphite shaft is the Project X Catalyst 65 and wow, they’re fantastic. Super stable and so far I’m liking them just as much or more than my previous Recoils.

The lofts of the Max line essentially mirror what the Big Bertha line has.

I’m really looking forward to getting these in my hands again and get to work with them.
You got the Epic Forged to play at the Grandaddy correct? What shaft did you have in those?

You got the Epic Forged to play at the Grandaddy correct? What shaft did you have in those?

Yes, I currently have the Epic Forged in my bag, and those have the Catalyst 65 5.5 as well. I’ve been in the Recoil 660 and have really liked them, but the Catalyst 65 is giving them a run for their money. ;)

like that the Max and Max-W are "weaker" lofts, I believe the SGI and W-Type targeted golfers - people who don't have the speed to hit their 7i 150+ - are being left behind by the loft pursuits of some

Just a side note about the name “MAVRIK”. I asked Pete Avery about the name and how they decided on the spelling. He said that once they had decided on using Maverick, they had quite a bit of discussion on the spelling. They didn’t want to use the normal spelling since it’s so long, the font on the club would need to be small, thus making it more difficult to read. So, they had multiple meetings about it, discussing several variations on it, until finally settling on Mavrik.

I want to get them in hand myself to see them, but the look isn't quite doing it for me at the moment - and I am basing that on the pictures in this thread and not the original ones that turned up previously

Performance can't be doubted looking at what @radiman has posted, but I don't hit the ball that far, so I am interested to see what increases I would see over my current irons

I now want to hit these irons even more. Look at all that tech within that price point. The looks are appealing to me as well!!! Bring on the Mavrik irons in 2020!!!

Aside from the unique AI for every iron face, the price point surprised me the most. That is an outstanding price for a set with graphite shafts.

This is basically my reaction reading @Jman’s write up.

I liked the look of the Mavrik Pro a little bit but the Flash Face tech in the irons sounds scary good!! I guess these will get looked at as well today!

Appreciate the pics as they do blow the leaked ones out of the water and I must say they are good looking irons. Reading @radiman ’s review it appears they pack a punch too. Looking forward to the rest of the teams reviews rolling in.

Well. The tech story is great! (Excellent write up @Jman) Definitely like the looks better than the leaked photos showed (shocker right?) Excellent write up on the pros @radiman! I really wasn’t particularly interested in the irons, I like mine a lot. But man these are interesting, and the price point is mind blowing with all the tech crammed into them.

Nice reviews on this @radiman , and great pictures as well! Agreed that those other pictures did not do these irons any justice.

These things look MILES better than those pictures we saw the other day.

I could 100% game those and be thrilled to do so, and I think one of the most underrated things here is the price. Very excited to see those irons come in at that price point.

How do these compare to the epic forged irons? Where do the mavrik irons fit in Callaway’s line of irons (they seem like maybe a rogue upgrade)?

6EF32C8E-D6AE-4AE2-B4EA-5B3F6678912A.jpegF82E0DE5-BC57-4E13-B135-2F53BA0854BD.jpeg

Great Picture @JB these look phenomenal.

They kind of remind me of the XR Pro Iron a bit

So I can finally say I was fit into the Mavrik Pro irons with KBS 120 $tapers, but they ran out of stock so I received a set of apex pros in its place. No problem though, Callaway will be sending me a set once they get more in stock! As soon as I get the Mavrik pros in hand, I’ll be taking some pictures and providing ongoing feedback for 2020!

Back