Callaway MD4 Wedges

I little flat black mixed in some epoxy to cover those brushed discs in the ports and I'm ready to finally try a new wedge.

I'm just going to re-paintfill them all, IF they make the bag. Orange where the red is, and with some stamping (1 child per wedge).

Hit them yesterday for 12 holes, definitely, IMO, more firm in the sound/feel department than my Vokeys are, but man that "nip it" groove....

Another round and range session with these yesterday at practice. The X grind and the "nip it" groove have been the stars.

Still getting a little more firm feel than my other wedges, but its in line with what I have known from the MD's so its something I'm quite comfortable with.

Spin has been good, but the test here will be when they wear a bit, I expect to REALLY be able to see how the groove tech works then.

Oh, and murdered out is STILL a badass look with the Onyx shafts.

X Grind looks like the Edel Trapper Grind but with less stated bounce, although 12 is good. With all of that relief, I assume the leading edge is tight to the ground and it plays like a low bounce wedge but is for moderate to steep swings. I want to see how the MD4 feels and plays.

Got a chance to hit a half dozen shots with this yesterday. This might be my new wedge.

Pretty ****ing good.

These might just be where Callaway gets back into the bag.

My son spent his Christmas money on a 54* S grind MD4. We had it adjusted at the store and took it to the range. He let me take a few swings and I watched him get some time in with it.

Biggest thing I noticed was how quickly chips checked up. A mid flight chip would check hard on the second bounce. A low running chip would check hard on the third. If you nip it good, you can really be aggressive on chips.

I was able to kill full shots dead after the first bounce or bring it back a few feet after the second bounce. That nip groove is legit. I swear some of the shots were borderline bladed and they still stopped within 10 yards of landing. Ridiculous results from terrible shots.

I just got my SM6 wedges reshafted, but if that’s the kind of results this wedge gives with range balls I really want to see what happens with a urethane covered ball.

First round with MD4 x grind in the bag yesterday and it an eye opening experience. Greens were soft but most chips were checking up with some bite that I'm not completely accustom to lately. For a first round, it definitely made me laugh when chips and pitches were checking up within a foot of landing on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pretty ****ing good.

These might just be where Callaway gets back into the bag.
This is pretty high praise. I know I am in the market for a new 54*, so I am paying full attention to these remarks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I so wish the X Grind wasn't limited to the "lob" wedge category, that'd be a shoe in for me. The C grind kind of scares me as it's bounce is low and I've been know to get steep. A X Grind 54* would be a shoe in for the bag...

I so wish the X Grind wasn't limited to the "lob" wedge category, that'd be a shoe in for me. The C grind kind of scares me as it's bounce is low and I've been know to get steep. A X Grind 54* would be a shoe in for the bag...

have you considered the 54/W? It's pretty versatile and the W sometimes scares people off.

have you considered the 54/W? It's pretty versatile and the W sometimes scares people off.
I have the 58 W in the MD3 and I can't open the face on it except in extreme bunker situations. The 54 is my versatile wedge, but I will consider the W and S when I demo them out for sure. Just initially looking for something as close to my beloved MD2 T grind as possible.

I have the 58 W in the MD3 and I can't open the face on it except in extreme bunker situations. The 54 is my versatile wedge, but I will consider the W and S when I demo them out for sure. Just initially looking for something as close to my beloved MD2 T grind as possible.

Reading that this W grind has been updated and more versatile than the MD3 W grind. Might be an option for you.

Reading that this W grind has been updated and more versatile than the MD3 W grind. Might be an option for you.

That makes me want to add the 60*

Yeah, I read that too. Almost akin to a Nike Toe Sweep-ish, although in spirit and hopefully not in look. I'll definitely be doing my due diligence for a wedge I'll play for several season.

That makes me want to add the 60*

I'm going 58/X. A lot of good feedback on it so far.

Yeah, I read that too. Almost akin to a Nike Toe Sweep-ish, although in spirit and hopefully not in look. I'll definitely be doing my due diligence for a wedge I'll play for several season.

The toe sweep was what came to mind when i read the description. I'm sure RC nailed the look down, lol.

If I were to do this, thinking 54 S grind, bend it a degree weaker to get 11 of bounce, and a 60 X Grind.

This is pretty high praise. I know I am in the market for a new 54*, so I am paying full attention to these remarks.

I always got on well enough with the S and W grinds, so I knew these would be more of the same there, the big separator has been the X-Grind and the "Nip it" groove though. Versatility around the green of all three has increased with the placement of that lowest groove, I'm a big toe down chipper of the golf ball and spin is up with these there for me. Yes, new grooves play a role but they spin every bit as much as my SM6's (V-Grinds) do, I've not yet hit them on the GC2 though to see HOW much, because I want to break them in a bit to make it more of a fair fight than just new vs worn grooves.

They're still more firm than the SM6's to me as well, but nothing brash or bothersome. I've you hit the MD3's, then you'll recognize the feel here as well.

I always got on well enough with the S and W grinds, so I knew these would be more of the same there, the big separator has been the X-Grind and the "Nip it" groove though. Versatility around the green of all three has increased with the placement of that lowest groove, I'm a big toe down chipper of the golf ball and spin is up with these there for me. Yes, new grooves play a role but they spin every bit as much as my SM6's (V-Grinds) do, I've not yet hit them on the GC2 though to see HOW much, because I want to break them in a bit to make it more of a fair fight than just new vs worn grooves.

They're still more firm than the SM6's to me as well, but nothing brash or bothersome. I've you hit the MD3's, then you'll recognize the feel here as well.

Thanks for the feedback James. Yes, I game a MD3 now, so I am familiar with the feel there. It's just a matter of what and when, not if.

Thanks for the feedback James. Yes, I game a MD3 now, so I am familiar with the feel there. It's just a matter of what and when, not if.

And of course, I have aimed to beat the **** out of the finish the with mine since getting them in hand from hardpan to rough, to dirt, to bunkers, and the finish on face and sole is still 100%. Wild.

And of course, I have aimed to beat the **** out of the finish the with mine since getting them in hand from hardpan to rough, to dirt, to bunkers, and the finish on face and sole is still 100%. Wild.
Yassssss! Maybe it'll hide the obvious high toe misses I frequently experience. Obviously I'd be going with the dark finish, no chrome.

Which is more reason when I get these (not if) it will be in probably the same set up as you in the sand and lob grind makeup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Roger,

I would like a PM Grind in the MD4 wedges in a 54-56 loft as a SW. April?

The new 50 Degree MD4 was a spinning machine this weekend. Hit this from 115 out, pin high (divot half way up ridge to the left) and spun all the way back. I am absolutely love these things around the green. This one didn't have the best result but I blame the slope that gave this a little extra speed off the spin.

PuWREqq.jpg

Back