Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

Have any of you hit both the AI Smoke hybrid and the Paradym Super Hybrid? if so please share the difference between the two.

I returned my ai smoke hl # 4 and #5 hybrids with cypher 2 60 gram shaft's for the regular ai smoke hybrids with kbs hybrid prototype 85 gram shafts after a fitting . Hoping to get them out to a range this weekend weather permitting
I have a Paradym SH and a Smoke 4HL in the bag. For me the 4HL is my 190 -210 club and for me launches higher and spins a tad more then the Paradym SH. Lands soft when hitting in to greens.
The Paradym SH is a lower launching distance seeker. Very versatile and I have no issues hitting it off tight lies or out of the rough.

I’m upset, I’m confused, and I’m a little sad.

Look. The Apex Pro and CB irons are probably my favorite looking irons ever. From the badging, the top line, the way they sole; PLUS the fact they have a 10 and 11 iron is just downright cool. These things are just pure sexy.

So it hurts me when I use these AI Smoke irons over my Apex Pro/CB combo. In fact, I’d say a piece of me dies inside.

But dang if that piece isn’t a f****** phoenix and rising from the ashes is this magnificent mythical metal majestic beast of pure performance as AI Smoke irons. I’m distraught at how much I like them. I’m outright beside myself with how well they perform. I am distressed and seriously just don’t get it.

I cannot get these smoke irons out of my bag. The contact, the trajectory, the ease at which the irons work is nuts.

I don’t understand why Callaway would make the beautiful Apex Pro/Cbs, and then have these magnificent smoke irons steal the show. Yeah they’re cast, by, so what?

It’s like, in the heartwarming 1999 romcom She’s All That. Zach is perfectly happy with the cheerleader Taylor. She’s seemingly got it all.
But now he’s gotta try to start something with Laney, and while it wasn’t supposed to be serious, he actually found this hidden gem, and it changed the entire landscape for him.

Sigh. Thanks smoke irons. You make me feel just like Julia Roberts it Pretty Woman. (You know, except the whole hooker thing)
They are pretty ridiculous. Performance wise, looks wise, feel wise.....
shes all that GIF

I remember the hype around the Paradym irons, but I thought they were just ok.
The AI Smoke look better, feel better and sound better to me.
Very excited to get mine.

After several rounds this year I’d like to talk about durability. Callaway heard the feedback from the Paradym irons and has really addressed them with the Smoke irons. The badging is more streamlined on the back and deeper inset, which limits damage from bag rattle

image.jpg

You can see the faintest marring on the back but nothing like the issues with the Paradyms. I’m pretty sure if it really bothered me I could buff them out, but honestly I don’t really ever notice it.

The face itself shows ball strikes but other than that, it’s in pristine condition

image.jpg

Just some normal wear and tear there that you would expect with any club.

The rest looks as new as the day I got them. Very happy with the durability of these!

image.jpg

After several rounds this year I’d like to talk about durability. Callaway heard the feedback from the Paradym irons and has really addressed them with the Smoke irons. The badging is more streamlined on the back and deeper inset, which limits damage from bag rattle

View attachment 9250744

You can see the faintest marring on the back but nothing like the issues with the Paradyms. I’m pretty sure if it really bothered me I could buff them out, but honestly I don’t really ever notice it.

The face itself shows ball strikes but other than that, it’s in pristine condition

View attachment 9250746

The rest looks as new as the day I got them. Very happy with the durability of these!

View attachment 9250747
My HLs have a bit of chatter marking in the cavity portion of the back on some clubs:

Back.JPG

I sure wish the soles of my clubs stayed as pristine as yours, though! :LOL: This is after about 42 rounds of golf and some range sessions.

Sole.JPG

Mine shipped today!
Should have them Monday 😜
New bag is supposed to arrive as well.
All Cally now, save my Betti…..

Mine shipped today!
Should have them Monday 😜
New bag is supposed to arrive as well.
All Cally now, save my Betti…..
Oh we can’t wait to see them! Show them off

What a great day out today! The Smoke irons were performing great. I didn’t have my best swing and lived life on the toe all day but hit consistent baby draws

IMG_9246.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

46/47 today. Not a good day but definitely not the fault of the clubs!

Another Saturday, another GC3 session, another day trying to get back to a more consistent ball flight again.

When I first put the Smoke irons in play, I was hitting decently straight/fade, with good contact, and distances that were surprising me. Then I went a bit haywire, trying to push things. And squeeze out more and more.

Trying to squeeze out more yardage, more carry.... well then started geting a bit "overcooked" with a hook to massive hook being the norm. Well thats not what I want. Factor in a grip change, that is growing into a whole swing overhaul, and I just want to hwt bak to reliable again.

Today was the first day in a while where maybe things were starting to feel better. Definitely still some wonky contact popping up, but more good than bad.

A quick capture through the irons, data wise if you are interested:
Spoiler

20240323_103520.jpg20240323_103403.jpg20240323_103352.jpg20240323_103344.jpg20240323_103334.jpg

Overall, I hope I am starting to trend positive again. Straighter ball flight, or even back to a fade at some points (which I am ok with). Trying to build back speed again.

On the horizon, hopefully some time with a new instructor, and an opportunity to pull more data on the GC Hawk.

Think I’m gonna order a 3h
But what shaft 🤔

Sadly my swing caddie decided to go boom before I hit my hybrids today but my three hybrid continues to just impress me. 250 average on the range per the markers. Some of my tour courses aren’t as long and some coming up are really narrow so this might this might be the answer as just staying in play will give you a real chance in these events.

I have the 4H... if somehow they offer the 50% trade bonus next month on these I'll have the 5 and maybe the 3. The King Tec may be in trouble. (first challenger for that spot in 3 years)

Would an 11 wood replace a 5 iron? 6 iron? Asking for myself... not a friend.

View attachment 9250744

View attachment 9250746

View attachment 9250747
Living on a prayer…I mean toe. These still look really good and the slight changes made on the badging is so well done.

I have the 4H... if somehow they offer the 50% trade bonus next month on these I'll have the 5 and maybe the 3. The King Tec may be in trouble. (first challenger for that spot in 3 years)
The 4HL is so good. The confidence that I’m going to launch the ball high with this club from any lie is remarkable. Always lands soft especially on the green.

it will be Apex Pro. playing the smoke 4H at 23 degrees right now
5i is 27*. 11w is 29*. Think you would hit them the same distance?

Forgot the question mark originally

Last edited:
3h with KBS proto 95x ordered. Excited to see if this fits a spot in the bag, if I can replace the heavenward and UW with this and the 5i I think I will be set.

3h with KBS proto 95x ordered. Excited to see if this fits a spot in the bag, if I can replace the heavenward and UW with this and the 5i I think I will be set.
today i hit the range and played 18 with my new 4h and 5h with KBS proto 85 .... all i can say is its an awesome combination , shaft is smooth like butter , easy launch from the fairway and the rough with a medium heght flights that just continue climbing. They also fit well with my irons with kbs tour 110 steel shafts. .... most of my shots with the 4h and 5h were straight or slight draws ... you can really get after these shafts ... these this might be my favorite hybrids of all time.

today i hit the range and played 18 with my new 4h and 5h with KBS proto 85 .... all i can say is its an awesome combination , shaft is smooth like butter , easy launch from the fairway and the rough with a medium heght flights that just continue climbing. They also fit well with my irons with kbs tour 110 steel shafts. .... most of my shots with the 4h and 5h were straight or slight draws ... you can really get after these shafts ... these this might be my favorite hybrids of all time.

That’s great to hear! Especially coming from the KBS tour and c taper lite shafts myself.

My general biggest fear with a hybrid is going too far left. Hopefully going to 95g and x flex helps me there.
Any issues with directional misses for yours?

That is great to hear that they are working so well for you!

The goods arrived today…. Rainy and windy out, so off to the range tomorrow.
IMG_1257.jpegIMG_1258.jpegIMG_1261.jpegIMG_1259.jpeg

Back