Callaway Super Hybrid

I have been hitting driver off of a lot more tee boxes lately so the Super Hybrids are getting used less. I had lost that confident feeling with them since they are rarely used but yesterday I was reminded just how good they are and why I do not need a fairway wood. I hit a weak fade off the first tee box and was left with a looong way to the pin on this par five. So my second shot of the day I grabbed the 17* lofted to 19* and hit a nice high draw that left me in the fairway 60 yards out. On the next par five I hit a big drive and had 225 left to the flag with no trouble up by the green. I hit a hook with the 20* which is also lofted up 2* left of the green but pin high. The last shot was after a nasty pull hook drive I was left with 240 to the pin. Once again the 19* saved my skin with a bullet off the turf that ended up pin high just left of the green. I wish I had the game to throw darts at the flag with these but they do what I need them to do quite well.

This is the oldest club in my bag right now. It really is an awesome product.

This one still gets my eye..... I hate the color, but I love the idea of the club. When my epic needs replacing, this one might get a shot.

This one still gets my eye..... I hate the color, but I love the idea of the club. When my epic needs replacing, this one might get a shot.
Definitely worth a try, it's an underrated club IMO.

this has quickly become my most reliable club...carried a 200+'ish yd creek that i usually avoid with anything less than my driver.

I purchased a 17* off CPO a few weeks ago. Finally got it on the range today and man what an awesome club. Penetrating trajectory carrying 230 and very straight. My main reason for buying it was to replace a 3w and the Super will start out in the spot this year.

I had the two new Super Hybrids in the bag today for the first time. I have owned a 17* for a year and a half. I added a 20* and a 23*. I absolutely love them, even better than the 17*. They simply want to go high and straight. I know that some would not want them in the bag, particularly the 23*, given the size of the head, but they do exactly what I was hoping. The great thing is that there is no hook bias in them. Honestly, I feel as confident with the 20* in my hands as a 7 iron. I really believe that they could take a stroke off of my index, because my two main courses have some par threes that are over 200 yards.

I had the two new Super Hybrids in the bag today for the first time. I have owned a 17* for a year and a half. I added a 20* and a 23*. I absolutely love them, even better than the 17*. They simply want to go high and straight. I know that some would not want them in the bag, particularly the 23*, given the size of the head, but they do exactly what I was hoping. The great thing is that there is no hook bias in them. Honestly, I feel as confident with the 20* in my hands as a 7 iron. I really believe that they could take a stroke off of my index, because my two main courses have some par threes that are over 200 yards.
I’ve had the 23 degree (turned down to 22) in my bag for about a year, it’s basically my 3h/4h (call it a 3.5h). I definitely love the lack of hook bias - my previous hybrids were draw biased, and they were hook monsters. The SH just wants to go straight and far.

I’ve had the 23 degree (turned down to 22) in my bag for about a year, it’s basically my 3h/4h (call it a 3.5h). I definitely love the lack of hook bias - my previous hybrids were draw biased, and they were hook monsters. The SH just wants to go straight and far.
I used either the 20* or the 23* five times today. When you figure you had 40 shots that were not putts, that is a fairly large percentage of full swings with those two big hybrids. However, twice, I reached a par 5 in two. I hit one par 3 that was 195 yards and another that was 215 yards. That kind of success changes a round.

with the recent topic of "what club would you drop to play 13" I came to my senses and realized Ive legitimately needed to hit my 3w less than 10x the past 3 years. Any time ive used it off the tee has been simply bc I havent used it in a while

this revelation led me back to ordering a super hybrid 17* off eBay just now. Im gonna play the SH at 17* and loft my PXG hybrid up to 19*. gonna drop the 3w completely

I purchased a 17* off CPO a few weeks ago. Finally got it on the range today and man what an awesome club. Penetrating trajectory carrying 230 and very straight. My main reason for buying it was to replace a 3w and the Super will start out in the spot this year.
When the SH first came out I did the same by dropping the 3w. It was immediately the right decision...for whatever stupid reason I sold it bc I also had a driving iron at 17* even tho they served different purposes

Just bought a 17* today to replace the 3w again

Played my first round w/the 23 deg Super Hybrid this afternoon. This could be the begining of a special relationship. Hit three off the fairway ranging 190-200, just money. Hit two out of the rough, one was a good lie and crushed, the other was a horrible lie and I tried to see how much I could get away with "rescue" wise and bit off more than I could chew. Used it twice around the greens and one was from some light rough and the other was from just off the front of the green on a par 3. Bumped it and I rolled it just to three inches on the backside of the cup on the one from just off the green, tap in par. The one from the rough wasn't a great result, but not horrible either...just wanted to seebwhat I could get. away with

This is the club I was hoping it would be, and +++++. LOVE the flex off the green for some bumps, but it also takes care of my 5w 4i quandry at the top of the bag. I was top heavy and now those two are gone. I turned my 3w to 16.5 deg and I think I'm going to cut an inch off the shaft and see if I have a "four wood" moving forward. That would give me driver at 10, 3 at 16.5 and the 23 SH. I think I may go 16 w/the 3 and 22 w/the hybrid? Made it MUCH easier to decide when to use the 3w which gave me more confidence with it. I MAY go with a 17 SH if this relationship with the 23 gets more serious. So far so good though.

Thx to all who contributed to this thread to help me pull th trigger on my first hybrid. Diggin' it.

PS...no snap or pull hooks...

PS...no snap or pull hooks...
The Super Hybrid definitely doesn't have the draw (or should I say hook) bias that's inherent in a lot of hybrids.

Round 2 w/the 23 on Sat went amazingly well. Sooooo...Pulled the trigger on the 17 degree on CPO. Got a Like New w/their current 20% off and knocked another 30% off the remainder with my rewards points. Smokin’ deal. Think that will round out my bag, hopefully. Turn the 17 to 16 and 23 to 22 then ‘21 Apex Pro’s +1 5-PW, +2 AW and MD5 52, 56 & 60. Been a long, expensive trip. Hoping this is the final piece. Love the 23, hope the 17 does me right too. Keeping the Ping G400 driver for the season, sorry Callaway.

Round 2 w/the 23 on Sat went amazingly well. Sooooo...Pulled the trigger on the 17 degree on CPO. Got a Like New w/their current 20% off and knocked another 30% off the remainder with my rewards points. Smokin’ deal. Think that will round out my bag, hopefully. Turn the 17 to 16 and 23 to 22 then ‘21 Apex Pro’s +1 5-PW, +2 AW and MD5 52, 56 & 60. Been a long, expensive trip. Hoping this is the final piece. Love the 23, hope the 17 does me right too. Keeping the Ping G400 driver for the season, sorry Callaway.

My set up is pretty much the same.

But I'm looking to fill the gap between the 4w (16.5) to the 5 hybrid (25).

I was thinking of adding a 7w and one super hybrid at 23. Or get both super hybrid (20/23)

Does the 20/23 perform like a 5 wood and 7 wood for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lately my DCB 4 iron has been amazing so it has been getting a lot of the work my Super Hybrids used to do. I played a short unfamiliar course yesterday and used the SH twins more than normal. It was a nice reminder of how good these are and why after a year and a half I have no desire to bag a fairway wood. That DCB 4 iron is so long that I had to turn the loft down a degree from +2 to gap better. The 20* set at 21* works really well off the turf and the 17* set at 18* is a great tee option for me when driver wont fit the hole. I lasered the flag at 266 from the tee yesterday and hit the 18* just past pin high on the left fringe. I had a rough stretch with them where I was hitting them thin on the bottom groove but since I have been concentrating on hitting them like an iron things have been great.

Has it been determined - do only hybrid weights work? I have seen some people reference online that Epic Flash Fairway weights will work - however looking at those it looks like they have a screw coming out the bottom whereas the Super Hybrid seems to have the "screw" on the side of the weight. Thanks!

Have a 17° coming in from CPO - It has a HZDRUS Black shaft in it, so not sure if that is going to work however I have some Fujikura Pro 2.0 shafts kicking around.
Just struggle with Fairways recently and hope this can fit in.
And with a couple of trades are Reward $ - No Money out of the pocket.

Has it been determined - do only hybrid weights work? I have seen some people reference online that Epic Flash Fairway weights will work - however looking at those it looks like they have a screw coming out the bottom whereas the Super Hybrid seems to have the "screw" on the side of the weight. Thanks!

This is the weight I bought for mine if you still need a recommendation: https://www.billybobsgolf.com/produ...-hybrid-head-weights-weights-sold-separately/

It was a struggle to decipher what would work

Have a 17° coming in from CPO - It has a HZDRUS Black shaft in it, so not sure if that is going to work however I have some Fujikura Pro 2.0 shafts kicking around.
Just struggle with Fairways recently and hope this can fit in.
And with a couple of trades are Reward $ - No Money out of the pocket.
Put this in to play yesterday, in the bag it stays. Really like the versatile it gives me.

My last round was at a course that has some dog leg holes that are protected by tall trees. The 20* Super Hybrid mocks them as it easily flies over the top of the trees and lands safely in the fairway leaving a flip wedge into the green. 4 strokes from there for a bogey 🤷‍♂️.
These have been replaced by the Epic Super Hybrids which I am reading lots of good reviews on but the OG's are staying in my bag for a while. I do not use them a whole lot but when I need them they are usually up to the task.

Back