Callaway XR Irons - THP Review

After reading this entire thread, i went and got fitting and purchased the XR Irons last night. I started out with the Speedstep stiff shafts. They were noticeably lighter then my current setup (Ping G25's). I was swinging the 7i about 68 mph and hitting the ball about 160 on average. The shots were very high which i really like and you could tell by where the ball "started" on the screen. It was about 7 feet from the ground. I have never seen it that high. I then moved to the KBS Tour V90 shafts and the club came alive for me. Ball was about 5.5-6' off the floor on the screen so you could tell it was launching high but not as high for me as the Speedstep. But the interesting thing was my swing speed was 72 on average with the KBS and the ball carried about 168 on the monitor. I did not see any flyers and the dispersion pattern was about the same with both shafts being a slight draw about 10 yards off center. I ended up getting fit for 2 deg upright which may help straighten it out a bit. The KBS shaft seems to fit this club well at least for me. I saw greater distance than my G25's for sure, and slightly higher luanch.

After reading this entire thread, i went and got fitting and purchased the XR Irons last night. I started out with the Speedstep stiff shafts. They were noticeably lighter then my current setup (Ping G25's). I was swinging the 7i about 68 mph and hitting the ball about 160 on average. The shots were very high which i really like and you could tell by where the ball "started" on the screen. It was about 7 feet from the ground. I have never seen it that high. I then moved to the KBS Tour V90 shafts and the club came alive for me. Ball was about 5.5-6' off the floor on the screen so you could tell it was launching high but not as high for me as the Speedstep. But the interesting thing was my swing speed was 72 on average with the KBS and the ball carried about 168 on the monitor. I did not see any flyers and the dispersion pattern was about the same with both shafts being a slight draw about 10 yards off center. I ended up getting fit for 2 deg upright which may help straighten it out a bit. The KBS shaft seems to fit this club well at least for me. I saw greater distance than my G25's for sure, and slightly higher luanch.

Nice dude, added launch and distance are a win. I'd bet the lie angle change would help a bit for sure.

Going to order my XR irons this week. Decided to go 4 and 5 hybrid and then 6-PW. Just wondering if I should go with the standard XR AW,SW,LW or buy these separate ? If buying separate what lofts would you recommend?

Only you can answer that dude, whatever you are most COMFORTABLE with is the key IMO. For me, I don't like to go above 58 in my wedges, but we are all different. The XR AW is awesome though, so good if you're a full swinger in that spot.

Off for my first round with mine, excited! After some early season swing issues were mostly ironed out, these have been performing the same on the range as they were in sim = +10yds on each....and I can hit the 5i nicely, something I haven't been able to do in many years. Really liking the AW too, as J says ^

Went down to golf and ski in Hudson nh last weekend for there demo day and a full bag fitting in there callaway performance center. I hit these outside with the stock shaft and they were long, but I didn't have much control. So when it was time for the fitting rory told me to go ahead and hit them again and I got the same results. He then set me up with the KBS tours and man did these irons come alive. On there monitor I was hitting the 7 iron like 185 when I really went after it. Needless to say I'm now waiting for my new irons to arrive from callaway. Went with the 3 and 4 hybrid and then 5-AW.

Went down to golf and ski in Hudson nh last weekend for there demo day and a full bag fitting in there callaway performance center. I hit these outside with the stock shaft and they were long, but I didn't have much control. So when it was time for the fitting rory told me to go ahead and hit them again and I got the same results. He then set me up with the KBS tours and man did these irons come alive. On there monitor I was hitting the 7 iron like 185 when I really went after it. Needless to say I'm now waiting for my new irons to arrive from callaway. Went with the 3 and 4 hybrid and then 5-AW.

that sounds like a great combo right there.

I really like the fitting setup there - and there's nothing better than the big demo day they have, getting to hit everything off of grass.

Congrats on the purchase, I'll be interested to hear how you like them long term, as they're an iron I'm intrigued by.

I really like the fitting setup there - and there's nothing better than the big demo day they have, getting to hit everything off of grass.

Congrats on the purchase, I'll be interested to hear how you like them long term, as they're an iron I'm intrigued by.
It was an awesome experience and would recommend it to anyone. I've been golfing for around 7 years and have never been fit before and it was very knowledgeable. The only bad part is waiting for the clubs.

Going to order my XR irons this week. Decided to go 4 and 5 hybrid and then 6-PW. Just wondering if I should go with the standard XR AW,SW,LW or buy these separate ? If buying separate what lofts would you recommend?

AW is sweet. It blends to my 52 in steel wedge flex for me.

Pulled the trigger and purchase my new XR clubs. Went with the 4 and 5 hybrids 6-AW. Thanks for all the advice. Figure I can pick my wedge selection later.

Pulled the trigger and purchase my new XR clubs. Went with the 4 and 5 hybrids 6-AW. Thanks for all the advice. Figure I can pick my wedge selection later.

Congrats. I got mine with lamkin crossline grips for no upcharge like on callaways website. I had to ask the big box store and they asked callaway. Stock grips are not so good.

The fitter recommend that I cut 1/2 inch off shaft and get the stock grips stretched 1 inch. He stated they would fit better in my hands

Would have liked to try the kbs tours if they were available at my fitting.

Would have liked to try the kbs tours if they were available at my fitting.
As soon as he put them in there it just seemed like the club was a lot more stable, and got much better dispersion.

As soon as he put them in there it just seemed like the club was a lot more stable, and got much better dispersion.

They were really accurate for me in my r11s with Tour 90's.

grips

grips

Jman
What grips did you go with. I am getting fitted on Wed and am determined to go with the XR's

Jman
What grips did you go with. I am getting fitted on Wed and am determined to go with the XR's
NOT the stock grips! They're terrible IMO and really something u wish Callaway would change...one of the few things I can say tha6 about. I'm a uTX guy through and through so eventually everything makes.its way to them.

NOT the stock grips! They're terrible IMO and really something u wish Callaway would change...one of the few things I can say tha6 about. I'm a uTX guy through and through so eventually everything makes.its way to them.
Luckily Callaway offers free upgrades on grips. With dozens of options to choose from. So while the Lamkin UTx grips, which are amazing, might not be on the list of free upgrades, there are many other grips available free of charge.

But of course we can always just order the custom grips we prefer. FWIW.

Jman
Check online to see if your preferred grips are available for upgrade at no extra charge.

After demoing a 7 iron with Project X shaft on course this morning and seeing almost a full two clubs longer than my Rocketbladez, I ordered a 6-PW set that should be here next week.

Yep. I'm 2 clubs longer PW- 9 I than my MP52s. 1 1/2 longer 8-5. Can't fade them with as much control but no issue with baby draw and they are consistent distance for me. Only downside is no success or feel with them yet chipping.

Was hoping to put these in play today but went to the fitter yesterday and he is adding 3/4" to the shafts and adding new mid size grips. I've never been fit before, bought my last set 1/2" over standard based on charts I found online, was thinking he might have to adjust the lie also. After 5 swings with each club he said the lie was just right at factory specs, hoping it stays that way after adding the 3/4". Crap part about living in a small town is the fitter is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way and I had to leave the clubs. Need to find time one weekday afternoon this week to go back and pick them up for an upcoming tourney this Saturday.

I think I'm all-in on these irons again after a reshaft. The stock were too light (for me) to feel comfortable so I put some TT GS95's in and the stability and power through the ball has been like night and day. I'm seeing the length that these clubs advertised while maintaining all the accuracy and forgiveness that you would expect from a GI iron. I've been puring more iron shots since the reshaft and just having fun again with these irons.

I really like the looks of these and the many customization options are appreciated too.

Going to leave work early to pick my XRs up from the fitter tomorrow, pumped!

Back