Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

I still play the XR 16 performs well for me when i am swinging good may finally change it up but will definitely hold on to the driver. I also have the 2015 model which is a good driver to.

I've been gaming the Callaway XR16 10.5* driver pretty much since release.

To be completely honest, I have loved this driver the entire time. Consistent for me, while paired with a UST Mamiya Elements Helium HE4F3.

In the past week, I started playing around with another driver shaft. I realized the Helium I have playing is actually 1" longer than the stock stiff shaft that it had replaced. For giggles, I switched back to that stock stiff shaft (Diamana I believe).

The first time I took it out, I hit the first 3 drives of the round better than I had hit any drive on those holes. I love the head, which is a 10.5, turned down right now -1*.

I still think there is more I could squeeze out of this combo, with either shaft. I hit a high ball, probably a lot to my detriment unfortunately. Hopefully get working on lowering that ball flight a little bit.

When I do manage to hit it lower, I love it. Better distance, better accuracy, better all around.

I've been gaming the Callaway XR16 10.5* driver pretty much since release.

To be completely honest, I have loved this driver the entire time. Consistent for me, while paired with a UST Mamiya Elements Helium HE4F3.

In the past week, I started playing around with another driver shaft. I realized the Helium I have playing is actually 1" longer than the stock stiff shaft that it had replaced. For giggles, I switched back to that stock stiff shaft (Diamana I believe).

The first time I took it out, I hit the first 3 drives of the round better than I had hit any drive on those holes. I love the head, which is a 10.5, turned down right now -1*.

I still think there is more I could squeeze out of this combo, with either shaft. I hit a high ball, probably a lot to my detriment unfortunately. Hopefully get working on lowering that ball flight a little bit.

When I do manage to hit it lower, I love it. Better distance, better accuracy, better all around.
The XR16 was soooo good for me. I bombed this driver. Glad you are still hitting it well too.

The XR16 was soooo good for me. I bombed this driver. Glad you are still hitting it well too.
Lol, until I put it in timeout on the back 9 today and shot 6 shots better.

Finally reaching a good balance between not "needing" to hit driver every hole, and being able to fall back onto an alternate option on the tee (be it 3w/hw/iron).

I don't know why, but it makes it somewhat easier not having to control the driver as much. Just put an easy smooth swing on it.

Ball flight is much better with the driver with the smoother swing. Better trajectory, straighter, more roll out.

So why am I talking about a driver that came out 7 releases ago again? This probably marks the final season that I will be using the XR16 I grabbed when they were first released.

I grabbed my XR16 off ebay soon after it was released. I had just bought a Great Big Bertha, but was hooked by Callaway's working with Boeing to try to amp up the speed.

I wanted speed, I wanted more driver distance, and I wanted a great looking driver. I got all of them.

One of the initial things that really stood out was the shape and overall styling of the driver head. Loved the matte black head. I honestly think the look of the sole is still just sooooo good. A more rounded shape to the head, it just always looked great at address.
20160610_103411.jpg
I have had it paired with a UST Mamiya Elements Helium from a Shaft Up contest, and a Golf Pride MCC Align.

When I am hitting the driver well, it is dead straight. When I am hitting it ok, its a slight fade. When bad? A slice. The slice doesn't come out much anymore, but when it does I can compensate pretty quickly to straighten it back out.

As well as I hit the driver over the years, I still struggle with spin, and I think that I hit the ball too high at times. Have always wondered how much the XR16 Pro would have been different. Did I ever experiment with one? Weirdly no.

7 years is a long time with the driver. Prior to that, I bounced around with a different one every couple months, with minimal success. I think it really speaks to how much I enjoy/enjoyed this driver that it is still in my bag. I have swung other drivers every year, and not once seriously considered switching.

So why am I talking about a driver that came out 7 releases ago again? This probably marks the final season that I will be using the XR16 I grabbed when they were first released.

I grabbed my XR16 off ebay soon after it was released. I had just bought a Great Big Bertha, but was hooked by Callaway's working with Boeing to try to amp up the speed.

I wanted speed, I wanted more driver distance, and I wanted a great looking driver. I got all of them.

One of the initial things that really stood out was the shape and overall styling of the driver head. Loved the matte black head. I honestly think the look of the sole is still just sooooo good. A more rounded shape to the head, it just always looked great at address.
View attachment 9208972
I have had it paired with a UST Mamiya Elements Helium from a Shaft Up contest, and a Golf Pride MCC Align.

When I am hitting the driver well, it is dead straight. When I am hitting it ok, its a slight fade. When bad? A slice. The slice doesn't come out much anymore, but when it does I can compensate pretty quickly to straighten it back out.

As well as I hit the driver over the years, I still struggle with spin, and I think that I hit the ball too high at times. Have always wondered how much the XR16 Pro would have been different. Did I ever experiment with one? Weirdly no.

7 years is a long time with the driver. Prior to that, I bounced around with a different one every couple months, with minimal success. I think it really speaks to how much I enjoy/enjoyed this driver that it is still in my bag. I have swung other drivers every year, and not once seriously considered switching.
When it works it works!

Back