Callaway XR16 Pro Fairway - THP Review

Slight bump here for last year's model but I am about to put this 3 wood in the bag. The face of my XR Pro caved in yesterday and Callaway is sending me the XR16 as a replacement. It's the 3rd Callaway 3 wood I've broken the face on (Twice xhot2, once XR). Hopefully this one will last me long enough to get the Epic as a replacement if it caves in again :D

My only concern is that the face will be deeper than the XR. I didn't like that the XR pro model was much deeper than the Xhot2 pro's face (still my favorite 3w ever if there was any left on the market). Crossing my fingers.

Slight bump here for last year's model but I am about to put this 3 wood in the bag. The face of my XR Pro caved in yesterday and Callaway is sending me the XR16 as a replacement. It's the 3rd Callaway 3 wood I've broken the face on (Twice xhot2, once XR). Hopefully this one will last me long enough to get the Epic as a replacement if it caves in again :D

My only concern is that the face will be deeper than the XR. I didn't like that the XR pro model was much deeper than the Xhot2 pro's face (still my favorite 3w ever if there was any left on the market). Crossing my fingers.

I have a picture in this thread somewhere, but I've had both. The XR 16 pro and the XR pro are essentially the exact same sized head.

Here you go -

In case anyone is interested, here are some pics of the 2015 XR pro and the XR16 pro.

XR16 on the right

36908fa7008ba31860779e7186652f23.jpg

'15 pro

78ba71c04541271de480ad54bec69294.jpg

XR16

eba303bb1cbd979a4031f2354511f016.jpg

XR16 up front

b981b7b519daea79aa3564bf5dcbbdcd.jpg

I have a friend who quit using driver after he put this in the bag. He just absolutely smokes it down the middle with the XR Pro.

I have a friend who quit using driver after he put this in the bag. He just absolutely smokes it down the middle with the XR Pro.

I had to cut down the 5 wood because it was too long for the spot I needed haha. They are silly good though

Here you go -

It's really hard to tell in those pictures so I bet it will be similar. When it's in my hand next week (I hope) I'll be able to tell. Thanks!

I already had 290 off the tee with the XR Pro. If this goes any further USDTL might come knocking. :D

Side note: Since the Xhot 2 I have played in many tournaments without a Driver and done particularly well.

Bumping another XR16 thread for some top of the bag ideas.

I always had a 2 and 3 iron in the bag years ago but that's not happening now with me now playing an Apex 3H for my 3 iron and I'm playing around with a Ping Anser 2H (17*) that I got for a whopping $50 or so. Not sure yet if I will bag it but I'm thinking of it. I'd leave out the 9 iron for the 2H. I like to play with 4 clubs at top (D, 3W, 2, 3) as long as I have 4 wedges (PW, AW, SW, LW) then have 5 irons in the middle (4-8).

Anyways, anybody want to chime in regarding the 14* XR16 Pro 3 wood vs the 15* XR 16 3W that I currently own? Can make a quick CPO trade in of a 5W I'm not going to play and grab a XR16 PRO 14* for almost nothing. Lefty so I'm always trying stuff after buying it, no biggie. Leaves me with two 3W's to compare. Thx.

Bumping another XR16 thread for some top of the bag ideas.

I always had a 2 and 3 iron in the bag years ago but that's not happening now with me now playing an Apex 3H for my 3 iron and I'm playing around with a Ping Anser 2H (17*) that I got for a whopping $50 or so. Not sure yet if I will bag it but I'm thinking of it. I'd leave out the 9 iron for the 2H. I like to play with 4 clubs at top (D, 3W, 2, 3) as long as I have 4 wedges (PW, AW, SW, LW) then have 5 irons in the middle (4-8).

Anyways, anybody want to chime in regarding the 14* XR16 Pro 3 wood vs the 15* XR 16 3W that I currently own? Can make a quick CPO trade in of a 5W I'm not going to play and grab a XR16 PRO 14* for almost nothing. Lefty so I'm always trying stuff after buying it, no biggie. Leaves me with two 3W's to compare. Thx.
The pro 3w is a cannon. Unfortunately, I can't compare to the regular xr16 because I haven't hit one. If you're looking for primarily off the tee option I would definitely recommend it. For par 5 second shots I just have to play for rollout because it's low to mid launching and not something I could hope to hold a green with.

Was absolutely blasting the 5w today. When my swing with FW's is off, they aren't the most forgiving...but man when it's on, these things are rocket launchers for me.

Back