Callaway XR16 Pro Fairway - THP Review

I got my 14* shafted with the AD MT-7S and will have it out for its maiden run at Maderas on Tuesday.

Installed hzrdus yellow in my 2nd 4w. My way of shaft testing lol
fbe639917fd318c6802c7f0ac09744b1.jpg
0e575517a95bcf6bb087341a70440996.jpg
170e2872066adbee411e29e49f56aaad.jpg
We should hang out.

Miyazaki Kusala Silver 72x is curing right now in my XR16 Pro fwy head.

I'm excited.

I'm excited.

I feel that could be entertaining

I'm excited.
Interested to hear your comparisons to the 816 16*

So I had this one out for its first round this past weekend. Compared to my 2015 XR pro 14* it seems extremely similar. Pretty much identical in size and depth, and distance felt similar as well. Sound on good hits didn't jump out at me as being much different either, but I'd have to hit them back to back to really tell. Next time I get to the range I'll have to take both and see if I can tell any difference when hit one after the other.

The only real difference I saw is that they added on the Chevron logo to the top for aiming/line up purposes. So my first on course trial with it didn't see much of a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Would just need to see hard numbers to tell. Not a knock on the new one at all, as I really like it, but if someone asked if it was worth it to upgrade from the previous version, I'd have to honestly say no at this point after the first round out. In fairness though the 2015 XR pro FW is fantastic, and probably the best FW I had tried up until that point. So this one is definitely nothing to scoff at. The sole looks cool as well.

Very solid offering if someone is looking for a new 3 wood.

I hit my driver really well yesterday. After my round I spent some time on the range and was hitting my XR16 Pro 16° so well and so long, I was wondering why I was even carrying the driver that I had nearly 80% fairway finding success with. I think a round of 4w only off the tee is in order.

Hit this 5w yesterday on the sim and it's one of only two fairways I've hit (the other being the M2) that I would seriously consider replacing my old reliable BB with (although if I was replacing the BB, it would be with the 16* 4W, not the 5W). Was carrying the 5W right around 220-225 or so, which makes perfect sense given that I carry my BB 16* around 230-235 when well struck. This one sets up to the ball so nice, and it was quite easy to hit off the deck, at least in the 5W.

What I really love is the sound though. It sounds INCREDIBLE. Super solid with just the slightest metallic tinge. It just sounds like you murdered it when you catch one good.

I think this one would work really well at 16* for me, but I really need to hit that loft first.

Those of you who owned last year's XR Pro, how similar is this? Worth the premium for the new model? If I found a deal on last years and it's similar, there's a chance I could jump on it.

Found a XR16 Pro 14 with whiteboard shaft and got it on the course today. Hit it ok off the deck, but it was fantastic off the tee. Long and straight and felt great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I really love is the sound though. It sounds INCREDIBLE. Super solid with just the slightest metallic tinge. It just sounds like you murdered it when you catch one good.

One of a number of woods this year that absolutely nailed the sound. It's fantastic.

Callaway XR16 Pro Fairway - THP Review

In case anyone is interested, here are some pics of the 2015 XR pro and the XR16 pro.

XR16 on the right

36908fa7008ba31860779e7186652f23.jpg

'15 pro

78ba71c04541271de480ad54bec69294.jpg

XR16

eba303bb1cbd979a4031f2354511f016.jpg

XR16 up front

b981b7b519daea79aa3564bf5dcbbdcd.jpg

They look really freaking similar for sure. I know the sole graphics are a little different and I slightly prefer the XR16, but I actually prefer the clean, alignment aid free topline on the XR.

So, I spent a lot of time with this one on the range today. I'm in love with it. Perfect ball flight for what I want, and the sound is different than the last model in a good way. Such an addicting thwack.

The more I use this, the more comfortable I get, and the more I love it. Performance wise still not sure it's much different than the old XR pro, although that's not a bad thing considering they both have crazy good numbers for me - but the noise it makes is a little lower tone audibly and I think they nailed it. It's becoming that comfort club off the tee and I'm not losing a ton of distance over my driver. It's also very easy to hit off the deck IMO for a nice penetrating mid flight shot for me.

So, sound and overall looks are where I would give this head the biggest nod over the previous version.

Just bumping the thread in preparation for Tadashi to spellbind us with tales of smashing his new XR16 Pro fairway so far that he's pulling driver from the bag.

it should be a good combo. I offloaded the head I had as my bag is pretty much set and don't want to make any changes leading into RR.
I wish places around me had it to try. This and the LZ iron shaft have me intrigued.

I wish places around me had it to try. This and the LZ iron shaft have me intrigued.

i hear ya. Couldn't find anyone with a hzrdus when and blind bought a couple. The LZ are intriguing but I'm enjoying my AMTs so I'll hold off until I can find them somewhere

This one went back in the bag on a whim (a very Grandaddy whim) and I am glad I did.

There are a couple fairways I could game happily out of this release cycle, and the XR 16 Pro is atop the list.. Probably top 2 for me.

I can swing aggressively and have confidence that it's going to go straight or relatively straight. I hit it mid typically, but I had a mid high BOMB on the 7th at my course tonight that had me laughing when i checked numbers. Currently paired with the HZRDUS yellow and it's funtastic.

I am getting incredible consistency and some pretty deep numbers with this setup. It's a ton of fun to hit, sounds great, and has a really nice mid/high flight when teed up.

I tried to go for a 275 yard fairway shot and landed short of the green, but not as short as I was expecting. If I am covering 255 or 260 off the deck with this club that's just insane for me.

I am getting incredible consistency and some pretty deep numbers with this setup. It's a ton of fun to hit, sounds great, and has a really nice mid/high flight when teed up.

I tried to go for a 275 yard fairway shot and landed short of the green, but not as short as I was expecting. If I am covering 255 or 260 off the deck with this club that's just insane for me.

Hey Dan, just bumping this thread for kicks. I noticed you went standard XR16 from the grandaddy. What was the thought/reasoning behind this when getting fit?

Back