Can A Solar Eclipse Predict A Masters Winner?

Thrillbilly Jim

Naysayer Trendsetter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
There was a total Solar eclipse in the US in February of 1979. That same year, Fuzzy Zoeller, a Masters rookie, won the tournament. Do you think this can favor a golfer playing Augusta for the first time or is this just a dumb coincidence? Rookies this year include Ludvig Aberg, Wyndham Clark, Eric Cole, Nick Dunlap, Peter Malnati, Stephan Jaeger, and Akshay Bhatia.

I don't think Sergio was a rookie in 2017...

Some good players in that bunch.

There was a total Solar eclipse in the US in February of 1979. That same year, Fuzzy Zoeller, a Masters rookie, won the tournament. Do you think this can favor a golfer playing Augusta for the first time or is this just a dumb coincidence? Rookies this year include Ludvig Aberg, Wyndham Clark, Eric Cole, Nick Dunlap, Peter Malnati, Stephan Jaeger, and Akshay Bhatia.
I could totally see Ludwig, Wyndham, or even Akshay winning.

Couple guys on that list could compete

No

Esp the first two.
I worry about Akshay’s arm now, and it’s obviously a first go round, but man, I just think he’s built to win 2-3 majors in his career.

Ludwig is the one where I feel like if he gets one early, look the hell out.

I worry about Akshay’s arm now, and it’s obviously a first go round, but man, I just think he’s built to win 2-3 majors in his career.

To be fair, he did win the playoff hole after the injury, even if Denny did basically hand it to him.

There is definitely a few people on that list that have a legitimate shot. I guess if one of them pulls it off then we may have a theory.

I would LOVE to see Akshay win it.

He’s got game, that’s for sure…speaking of Akshay. Back to back, and being kind of a rush to prep and get to Augusta is a pretty big challenge.

Ludwig is a stud. I also think being in a RC is huge for young golfers because they’ve already felt that immense pressure. I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see him near the top of the leaderboard.

One data point and not scientific so no

One data point and not scientific so no
How about this one. A golfer has won the masters every year there has been an eclipse since 1934. It will happen again. Mark it down.

How about this one. A golfer has won the masters every year there has been an eclipse since 1934. It will happen again. Mark it down.
Didn't they not have the Masters for a few years during WW2?

Didn't they not have the Masters for a few years during WW2?
True 43-45 I believe. But I believe those years didn’t have official eclipses either because Talor Gooch was not around. So the math checks out haha

In fact, after some quick research, every year that an eclipse has occurred that ANY major was held, a golfer won.

not a dumb coincidence, almost a sure thing in my books.

In fact, after some quick research, every year that an eclipse has occurred that ANY major was held, a golfer won.
thinks the war on drugs GIF

I'm going with another rookie not on your list, Matthieu Pavon to win.

If it has to be one of them I hope it’s Bhatia or Aberg

Back