Can you "cheat" a Tour Striker club?

TxAggie2018

Reaction score
I have an annoyingly persistent flip in my swing, and I've been unable to break it for a couple years despite practice and lessons. So I purchased a Tour Striker 8 iron off Ebay as a training aid. It's a short iron with everything but the sweet spot rounded off. The theory is, hitting anything but that sweet spot will skull your ball.

Stock image from the internet.

9bf033cce3c5fb8d_original.jpeg

I've been hitting this near exclusively on the range for 2 months and am making progress. But before I groove this sucker too much, I'd like to know. Is it possible to "cheat" this type of training aid, and get good ball flight with a crappy swing? Or do you have to be doing something right to hit it.

Disclaimer - I have been to the Tour Striker Academy and still see Martin Chuck here and there and exchange pleasantries.

That being said I didn't use this training aid while in his 3 day camp but I did see others using it. The big thing that the instructors were giving feedback on were to not forward press to start out. That makes it easier to make good contact but then you train a forward press into your swing. That can lead to hooks.

We don't play golf swing

If the result is acceptable but the swing looks like a collapsing lawn chair, who cares?

We don't play golf swing

If the result is acceptable but the swing looks like a collapsing lawn chair, who cares?

I ask because I've been in this situation once before.

2 years ago, I purchased a chip stick to beat my flip - basically a foot long fiberglass rod extending from the grip of your club. If you flip your club, the stick hits you in the side, and it kind of teaches you through pain.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, an Amazon stock image might be worth 500...

51GKAlE-CcL._AC_.jpg

Anyway, I grooved a swing where that sucker wouldn't hit me, by way overdoing the shaft lean at setup. Then I couldn't ball strike worth a crap on the course, got some shanks going, took a wrong turn with some anti-shank adjustments, and eventually ended up back where I started with a vertical flip swing. All in all, that chip stick was a 6 month long blind alley.

Before I get too excited about another anti-flip training aid, I figured I'd do some homework this time.

I ask because I've been in this situation once before.

2 years ago, I purchased a chip stick to beat my flip - basically a foot long fiberglass rod extending from the grip of your club. If you flip your club, the stick hits you in the side, and it kind of teaches you through pain.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, an Amazon stock image might be worth 500...

51GKAlE-CcL._AC_.jpg

Anyway, I grooved a swing where that sucker wouldn't hit me, by way overdoing the shaft lean at setup. Then I couldn't ball strike worth a crap on the course, got some shanks going, took a wrong turn with some anti-shank adjustments, and eventually ended up back where I started with a vertical flip swing. All in all, that chip stick was a 6 month long blind alley.

Before I get too excited about another anti-flip training aid, I figured I'd do some homework this time.
I mean, if all you use is the training aid and never hit an actual club, that's a problem.

I have an annoyingly persistent flip in my swing, and I've been unable to break it for a couple years despite practice and lessons. So I purchased a Tour Striker 8 iron off Ebay as a training aid. It's a short iron with everything but the sweet spot rounded off. The theory is, hitting anything but that sweet spot will skull your ball.

Stock image from the internet.

I've been hitting this near exclusively on the range for 2 months and am making progress. But before I groove this sucker too much, I'd like to know. Is it possible to "cheat" this type of training aid, and get good ball flight with a crappy swing? Or do you have to be doing something right to hit it.
I read somewhere a while back, like a few years ago, that people were allegedly cheating it somehow. To be quite honest, it really sounded like these people were out to discredit Martin Chuck because internet.

I have the 8-iron Tour Striker and when I practice with it consistently, I inevitably have superb ball striking rounds.

So you get a training aid to help you;However, you are talking about it being cheated to get desired results. 🤔.Why buy it if your going to cheat it?Use it for what it was meant to do

After reading this stuff I think I’ve had enough internet for the day

Is it possible to "cheat" this type of training aid, and get good ball flight with a crappy swing? Or do you have to be doing something right to hit it.
If you can cheat a real golf club you can certainly cheat this thing. Also learning to hit this is not the same as learning to hit a golf club.

So you get a training aid to help you;However, you are talking about it being cheated to get desired results. 🤔.Why buy it if your going to cheat it?Use it for what it was meant to do

After reading this stuff I think I’ve had enough internet for the day

I am not working to cheat it, I just want to know if it's possible to cheat it.

Put another way, does good ball striking with the TS invariably translate to good ball striking with a real iron? Or is it possible to hit a TS well while ingraining a pattern that won't work with actual golf clubs.

Put another way, does good ball striking with the TS invariably translate to good ball striking with a real iron? Or is it possible to hit a TS well while ingraining a pattern that won't work with actual golf clubs.
Why not invest the money you would spend on a tour striker into an actual one on one golf lessons?

A fluffy lie, you’ll cheat it. A tight lie, it’s pretty darn hard to flip at it and have the right results.

Why not invest the money you would spend on a tour striker into an actual one on one golf lessons?

It's basically an extension of my in-person golf lessons. The last 3 I'd taken have ended up with "you have a vertical shaft at impact". The instructor tried different positions and feels to get me there, but nothing was sticking.

So rather than drop $150 on lesson #4, I dropped $60 on a used TS to try and develop that feel myself.

Back