• (4)Four

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • (5)Five

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • (6)Six

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of my mates hits it 300 yards regularly and plays off 20 or so. When you read threads like this, it’s easy to think it’s all online bollocks, and some of it could be. But I’ve played with a few people from this forum over the years, and a lot of them have given the ball a good spank! I’ve often been one of the shortest, if not shortest in the group.
I think the real question in my head is how many of these guys would be hitting whatever club they think they carry 200 yds an feel comfortable on a 200 yds pure carry to a par 3. Pins in front and you have 5 yds to spare or your in the water. No doubt guys hit 6 irons 200 sometimes but are you so consistent that's the club you pull.

I said 4 because 4i up to driver I can comfortably carry 200y. If I step on a 5i I can get a 200y carry but a "normal" swing for that club carries 190-195y

I think the real question in my head is how many of these guys would be hitting whatever club they think they carry 200 yds an feel comfortable on a 200 yds pure carry to a par 3. Pins in front and you have 5 yds to spare or your in the water. No doubt guys hit 6 irons 200 sometimes but are you so consistent that's the club you pull.
Agree with that, but that's why Shot Scope and Arrcos are so great as it'll tell you over just a few rounds what your actual distances are. Maybe not carry, but you're going to be certain you're not pulling 6i on a 200y par 3 over water when it says your playing average is 185 (well that's me anyway)

Anybody who's comfortable going pin hunting on 200 yard forced carry par 3s with a 5 yard margin of error isn't hanging around posting on golf forums. They're too busy out making a living playing golf.

Last edited:
Here's my question... What does anyone gain or lose by posting their numbers like this on the forum? ...and to add to that, the question was 'average' carry, not in whatever situations concern.

I'd just rely on the honesty of golfers here. Quite a lot of THPers can be found at experiences or local gatherings if you feel like they need to prove it 😄

Pretty nice bell curve shaping up which is kind of expected; a good 82% between 1 and 4. I personally feel a great sense of pride to be part of the 23% that are 'Certifiable ShortKnockers' :cool:

This one was easy. Zero. But my 3 W and driver can get to 200 eventually on a roll and bounces.

You are correct but you are a plus not a 20 hdcp
I know there are plenty of folks who do not track their shots and over-estimate their distances. But there are also high cappers who are physically gifted enough to be both long and can make good contact on a regular basis (sadly I'm niether). They're high cappers because of other reasons such as a failure to keep the ball on a good line, poor short game, poor course management, etc. I don't think it's that rare to find some of these players who can average 200 yards carry with clubs higher than a 4i - especially if they're working on improvement and just haven't turned the corner score-wise. As others have hinted, this is not a forum full of players who only get out just a few times a year to slap the ball around.

I know of one woman on this forum who I believe is in her late 60's and hits longer than most men her age and younger. She tracks her shots, knows her game inside and out, and is an honest mid/high cap. If she says she carries 3 clubs at 200 yards, I'd put money on it. Granted, she is an outlier, but I think that's my point... you never know. Equipment has changed over the years and the game is getting longer - even at our end of the spectrum of skill. Just my 2 cents.

I know there are plenty of folks who do not track their shots and over-estimate their distances. But there are also high cappers who are physically gifted enough to be both long and can make good contact on a regular basis (sadly I'm niether). They're high cappers because of other reasons such as a failure to keep the ball on a good line, poor short game, poor course management, etc. I don't think it's that rare to find some of these players who can average 200 yards carry with clubs higher than a 4i - especially if they're working on improvement and just haven't turned the corner score-wise. As others have hinted, this is not a forum full of players who only get out just a few times a year to slap the ball around.

I know of one woman on this forum who I believe is in her late 60's and hits longer than most men her age and younger. She tracks her shots, knows her game inside and out, and is an honest mid/high cap. If she says she carries 3 clubs at 200 yards, I'd put money on it. Granted, she is an outlier, but I think that's my point... you never know. Equipment has changed over the years and the game is getting longer - even at our end of the spectrum of skill. Just my 2 cents.
I occasionally play with a guy who's a 25+ cap. He's a beefy, powerful dude who hits monster distances and although I can't say with certainty I'd be willing to bet he has at least 4 clubs in his bag he hits 200+. He's a 25+ cap because he sprays the ball and his misses are clear into the next ZIP code, his short game is so tragic that it's comical, and he's a mediocre (at best) putter. 4 clubs that go 200+ don't do you any good when they're bouncing off houses, landing in backyards and flying out into the middle of the desert somewhere.

his short game is so tragic that it's comical
This is so descriptive. I did literally laugh out loud because of how relatable it is. As bad as my putting currently is, it used to be worse - comically worse.

2 for me, Driver + 3w

Don't keep an official cap but I'd estimate it's 25+ and I've got 4 200+ carry clubs (Driver, 3 wood, 3 iron, hybrid) and my 5 iron is just a couple yards short of that but averages 200+ total distance(all based on shot scope). I struggle with consistent strikes, especially low-point/fat shots. A bombed tee shot followed by a chunked wedge is one of my calling cards. Played 9 yesterday had a birdie and two pars, but also 2 holes where I mishit irons resulting in penalty strokes and 7's on the scorecard. You can definitely be long and bad.

Driver and that is it. I can get my 5w over 200 total distance but it would not carry 200. would need a solid bounce and roll :)

I wish I had more length as I think I could be a really decent golfer if I could get the ball out there 270-300... but it's just not in my 5'4" body, lol

Not for lack of trying. I have done P90x and dropped 30 lbs and gained muscle. I did SuperSpeed sticks...that just wrecked my swing, its kinda sad but I hit the ball the furthest when I am about 20 lbs over weight and not working out which is right now unfortunately :)

Last edited:
Don't keep an official cap but I'd estimate it's 25+ and I've got 4 200+ carry clubs (Driver, 3 wood, 3 iron, hybrid) and my 5 iron is just a couple yards short of that but averages 200+ total distance(all based on shot scope). I struggle with consistent strikes, especially low-point/fat shots. A bombed tee shot followed by a chunked wedge is one of my calling cards. Played 9 yesterday had a birdie and two pars, but also 2 holes where I mishit irons resulting in penalty strokes and 7's on the scorecard. You can definitely be long and bad.
Not that they're "bad", but Cameron Champ led the PGA Tour in driving distance last season. 19 events, 11 missed cuts, 0 wins and 3 top 10 finishes, his OWGR position at the end of the year was #155. Wyndham Clark was ranked #4 (1 spot above Jon Rahm) in driving distance last season - 30 events, 0 wins and 3 top 10 finishes, his OWGR position at the end of the year was #163.

I'm sure both of them hit at least half their bag over 200 yards. Distance isn't everything.

Not that they're "bad", but Cameron Champ led the PGA Tour in driving distance last season. 19 events, 11 missed cuts, 0 wins and 3 top 10 finishes, his OWGR position at the end of the year was #155. Wyndham Clark was ranked #4 (1 spot above Jon Rahm) in driving distance last season - 30 events, 0 wins and 3 top 10 finishes, his OWGR position at the end of the year was #163.

I'm sure both of them hit at least half their bag over 200 yards. Distance isn't everything.
I agree its not everything but, imagine if they didn't hit it that far, they might not even be playing on the Tour though.

I occasionally play with a guy who's a 25+ cap. He's a beefy, powerful dude who hits monster distances and although I can't say with certainty I'd be willing to bet he has at least 4 clubs in his bag he hits 200+. He's a 25+ cap because he sprays the ball and his misses are clear into the next ZIP code, his short game is so tragic that it's comical, and he's a mediocre (at best) putter. 4 clubs that go 200+ don't do you any good when they're bouncing off houses, landing in backyards and flying out into the middle of the desert somewhere.
Sounds about like me. Most of my shots aren’t off the planet but they’re an off by a decent amount. The short game and putting though? Yeah I’m bad. So bad. But with enough work I won’t have to rely on my touch as much.

According to FlightScope, I’m hitting my driver 185 to 190 in the air currently. I’m hitting the FW just as far as the driver. I find that interesting.

Driver
3 wood
Hybrid
4 iron
5 iron is 50/50

I voted 2. Driver and 3w. I CAN hit my 3Hy 200+ but it rarely happens off the deck and I almost never use it off the tee. I can typically hit my 4i a touch over 200 off the tee but I rarely use that shot except on long par 3s.

Back