Video "Casting" ...........How do I get my hands in front of ball? HELP!

jcbmv11

Reaction score
I love the sport of golf, but I have a severe "flicking" or "casting" problem I can't get rid of. Looking for anyone's recommendation.

If you watch the best golf players, they have a serious amount of lag in their release. They seem to release their hinge at the last microsecond and create a huge amount of club-head speed. They always have their hands in front of the ball at impact taking off a few degrees of loft.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to recreate this. I try my best, but when I watch my swing in slow motion, I always release early. I actually end up adding loft to the club. I realize I have other problems with my swing, but this issue is persistent. Help! See video below.

I've tried everything. I've watched the following videos with no success:

the true motion guys will get you sorted out.

Try slow motion, deliberate reps with your hands leading. After 50 or so, speed up your motion. After that 50 reps, speed your motion up a little more with another 50.

If you feel like you are losing your hands through impact, then drop back to a slower motion.

Do this enough times, and your hands will learn what you want them to do. Also, there is no time limit on how long it will take to train hands in that part of your swing. Some learn faster than others.

You have to learn to pull the butt of the club instead of pushing it. You have to pull it all the way through impact and past it. Pull the butt from the right shoulder DOWN towards your right knee, then across to your left hip. Hands should be moving left of the target at impact, not towards the target. If you’ve played baseball a good golf swing feels like hitting a grounder to right field (between first and second base).

Drill: Get a gap or lob wedge and put the ball WAY back in your stance, so your shaft lean at address is less than 45* (an acute angle with the ground). If you flip it you’ll just hit the dirt. Ball is way back but hands should hang in normal position. The only way to swing through the ball is to really pull the butt of the club through impact. Hit the ball and don’t dig in the dirt. Start with little half swings or chips and gradually move up to 3/4 swings. Don’t try to take a full backswing. 3/4 or less.

After you can do this with the ball way back in your stance, move it slightly up. Try to keep the same feeling and do the same thing. Little swings, pull the butt, don’t dig.

Repeat til the ball has gradually moved to normal address position. (When you get closer to normal address position you will have to start digging a little because you need to take a small divot).

Remember to pull the butt of the club all the way through, from the right shoulder to the left hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to learn to pull the butt of the club instead of pushing it. You have to pull it all the way through impact and past it. Pull the butt from the right shoulder DOWN towards your right knee, then across to your left hip. Hands should be moving left of the target at impact, not towards the target. If you’ve played baseball a good golf swing feels like hitting a grounder to right field (between first and second base).

Drill: Get a gap or lob wedge and put the ball WAY back in your stance, so your shaft lean at address is less than 45* (an acute angle with the ground). If you flip it you’ll just hit the dirt. Ball is way back but hands should hang in normal position. The only way to swing through the ball is to really pull the butt of the club through impact. Hit the ball and don’t dig in the dirt. Start with little half swings or chips and gradually move up to 3/4 swings. Don’t try to take a full backswing. 3/4 or less.

After you can do this with the ball way back in your stance, move it slightly up. Try to keep the same feeling and do the same thing. Little swings, pull the butt, don’t dig.

Repeat til the ball has gradually moved to normal address position. (When you get closer to normal address position you will have to start digging a little because you need to take a small divot).

Remember to pull the butt of the club all the way through, from the right shoulder to the left hip.

This is good stuff. I'm gonna keep dancing with the one who brung me for now, but this winter, I'm gonna get on this.

Last edited:
Google monte no turn cast drill. It’s really easy and a good feeling to have.

I agree with TT that there are upstream things going on so I’m not sure the suggested fixes that work for one person will necessarily be the ticket for everyone. That said, I’ll share that for ME, I do better when I have a feeling that my left (front) shoulder is pulling back and my hands feel hinged throughout the swing. To me this almost creates a feeling of holding off the swing. I’m sure the hands release and that I’m not holding off, it’s just that I have done it wrong for so long this is the feel I get.

Last edited:

This is a good post because it made me get out of my chair and try it.

Too much movement towards the rear in the backswing, then no movement forward in the downswing.

I'd concentrate on trying to not move backwards, and then try to hold off as much as you can. Really try to miss the ball, you will find you can't.

Please, Please, Please don't start pulling on the handle. Send me DL video first before you go down that path...It's dark and hard to get out of. This may be BMD's feel, but you trying to do that may be really bad. Most handle pullers get steep and come over the top. It's a compensation for other flaws. Let's see the move first.

OP please include some of your swing vids on these kinds of ‘help me sort out...’ threads. It’s almost like trying to troubleshoot in the dark.

Please, Please, Please don't start pulling on the handle. Send me DL video first before you go down that path...It's dark and hard to get out of. This may be BMD's feel, but you trying to do that may be really bad. Most handle pullers get steep and come over the top. It's a compensation for other flaws. Let's see the move first.

The grip is in your hands and you have to move it. You can either push it or pull it — there’s only two options!!!!!

My instruction was to pull down towards the right knee first, which prevents coming over the top.

If you’re opposed to a pulling the handle feel, it’s because you don’t understand it. Pushing against the side of the shaft is the flip move he wants to get away from.

The grip is in your hands and you have to move it. You can either push it or pull it — there’s only two options!!!!!

My instruction was to pull down towards the right knee first, which prevents coming over the top.

If you’re opposed to a pulling the handle feel, it’s because you don’t understand it. Pushing against the side of the shaft is the flip move he wants to get away from.

The reason Matt asked him not to pull on the handle is because this player needs to correct his body angles and spinal tilt before addressing any other swing elements. Blind Freddy can see that he has a body tilt towards the target that engages his left spinal/pelvic muscles on both sides of the swing preventing counter-clockwise body rotation. The muscles on the right side need to be activated during transition to the forward swing which is not possible with a left body tilt.

99.9% of people who have a feel for a pull down on the handle get bad results because it's a band aide for some other or compensation. [I have a good idea of what I think it is, but I'm not going to give advice if I'm not sure, because it will likely do more harm than good.] We don't do band-aides, especially if we're not sure...so that's why I asked to see his swing from DL.

I want his hands to feel passive, and him to use his body correctly...Then the shaft will shallow like a MoFo and he doesn't' have to make pull down compensations or flip it to shut the face (hint). If you're pulling down, it's either a feel you have, or a compensation for something in your SetUP, pivot, or downswing that you're making an adjustment for.

So, I do understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with the prescription. 😉

The reason Matt asked him not to pull on the handle is because this player needs to correct his body angles and spinal tilt before addressing any other swing elements. Blind Freddy can see that he has a body tilt towards the target that engages his left spinal/pelvic muscles on both sides of the swing preventing counter-clockwise body rotation. The muscles on the right side need to be activated during transition to the forward swing which is not possible with a left body tilt.
Not to mention, OP is all upper body back and through. Huge heave of the shoulders coming down.

I thought the idea of "pulling the butt of the club" is out of favor now?

Not to mention, OP is all upper body back and through. Huge heave of the shoulders coming down.
Yep, it is his only way to change direction with a body tilted towards the target.

As Matt suggested, a down the line would be helpful. Just my two cents: The cast seems to be starting at the top. You seem to be starting the downswing with your hands. I wonder if concentrating on starting the downturn with your hips would allow the hands and handle to drop into the slot. The hips turning will then drag your hands through, keeping them in front of the club head.

Back