Cell Phones: Android edition

It's unclear to me why an Android phone would be any more advantageous than an iPhone to those for whom Macs were designed. Can you explain why you believe this to be so?

As do I, except not email so much. I also use my phone and/or tablet for:
  • Password and other account credentials management (encrypted keyring)
  • Messaging
  • Web browsing
  • Managing our bank and retirement accounts
  • 2FA
  • Land navigation
  • Calendaring (appointments, etc.)
  • Note-taking
  • Wake-up and other timed alarms
  • Monitoring our home alarm and video surveillance systems
  • Monitoring our identity theft detection/mitigation service
  • Wireless/contactless payments
  • Watching TV and movies (mainly while waiting on appointments and the like)
  • Reading
  • Listening to podcasts and streaming radio
  • Taking photographs and videos

Fair enough. But the availability of those devices doesn't detract from the manufacturer's product line, either. So I'm not getting your point.

How are iPhones, iPads, or AirPods any more "toys" than their Android analogues?

To each their own, but my Apple Watch not only tells me the date and time, but also:
  • The current weather and forecast
  • Calendar events
  • Monitors my heart rate (more important for us older folk and those with a heart condition)
  • Has fall detection and contact alerting (again: more important for us older folk)
  • Allows me to make, receive, and, most importantly, screen phone calls
  • Gives me turn-by-turn navigation alerts - kind of a wrist-mounted heads up navigation display :)
  • Alerts me to changes in alarm system status, alarms, and video surveillance events
  • Tracks my workouts and other activity/health
  • Facilitates contactless payments that are more secure than a physical credit card
I have a nice watch. It's not Swiss, but it's a nice Citizen. I don't find "just watches" to be particularly handy in this day-and-age. I suppose it's kind of like how clocks and watches supplanted the sundial ;)

Curse you, Apple! Curse you to blazes for manufacturing well-made and well-thought-out devices that play well together and then forcing me to buy them! 😂

Ah, there it is, users that appreciate the ecosystem Apple has created have "drank the Kool Aid" :) I suppose it was inevitable.

Oh? Which were the ignorant comments?

Since you raised the subject of "sheep": Did you actually ever read the terms of service and privacy policies of Samsung and Google before you started using that device? I did. That's one reason I no longer use them.

Moto G's were what my wife and I were last using before the move to iThings. They were nice phones for the money, and made right here in the good ol' USofA. Then Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo. That was another reason we dumped Google.

Get defensive much? Look, you drank it. It's ok. You can like iphones all you want, lots of people do. Not everyone feels they have to go out of their way to play defense in a thread about the other side of the market. Go on being a fan boy (you are not alone in that world, Android has them too.)

I have been an Apple user my entire life - Their watered down mobile OS is not very good when you're used to running a computer operating system (that isn't something I should have to say, but Apple has spent a lot of marketing capital suggesting that iOS devices can replace your computer.) If an iphone, or Android phone worked in such a way that I could seamlessly carry my work from my Mac to my phone or tablet, then I would be very interested in them working more closely together. Since that is not something that exists, I'll continue to use my phone for communication purposes and my Macbook Pro for work.

Apple ignored their core user base (creatives) with ios, and geared everything toward people who want to play games, and watch videos. Super smart business move on their end, but doesn't draw people like me to those products. Macs have become an afterthought at Apple in favor of their billion dollar baby (can't say I blame them.) They seem to want to drive their computers into the mobile system, and that will be the day I hang it up. Don't know where I'm going to go, as I'm not going to Windows, and I'm not big enough of a nerd to use Linux.

I didn't say Android was more advantageous in any way. All of the ios garbage is great except for the fact that Macs don't run iOS, and vice versa. So there is no advantage, as Mac user, to use an iphone. Google/Android has all the same gak. I'm not interested in that either.

What it all comes down to is what I (of you, or anyone) like. I'm sure there are some people out there that can convince themselves that syncing their iwatch with their iphone (vs any other smart watch/smart phone) is good for them on a professional level. That's not me - I use what I like.

Sounds like you're simply getting worked up because people like something other than what you think is best. I mean, I'm very happy to hear that you use your phone to watch movies and TV (you're just handing me money.) I'm just not that addicted to my device.

Honestly, if I had my way, I'd still have a Blackberry.

Get defensive much? Look, you drank it. It's ok.
This is the second thread in which I've challenged your assertions and you "defended" your position by way of ad hominem arguments. It will be the last.

Lol! I will 100% use it for that. No one here wants to see a 220 yard flare or duck hook off the tee. So the video will be personal. When I stripe one, sure. Maybe I share? 🤷‍♂️

What do you use and is there a cost? If it’s less than a sleeve of balls it’ll probably save me some, lol.
It's just called Shot Tracer and I don't pay for it, but I think it's pretty cheap.

I decided to stop putting money into my Pixel XL. It has lifetime unlimited Google Photos photo&video backup at original quality, so I'll keep it minimally running.

Backup phone is an Alcatel (TCL) 1b. Sluggish and barebones, but a decent screen, an actual headphone jack, microSD expansion, and unreal battery life for a 3000mAh battery - which is also easily removeable. Almost a holy grail sub-$100 Android phone.

Strongly considered the Moto offerings. 5000mAh battery is bonkers.

Settled for a Samsung S20 FE. I like the camera options, might delve into gcam apks though. Battery life is more than great. Snapdragon 865 should be good for a few years at least. I disabled and/or don't use the Samsung bloat, it's mostly a stock Android experience for me. Samsung's task killer is way too aggressive. No headphone jack! Damnit. Picked up the ONN bluetooth earphones from Walmart for $10 and was shocked at the quality - they're good.

At one time the company that I worked for provided an I phone, I Pad and a Microsoft laptop. The big problem was that when I deleted a pictures from all devices along with going on line and deleting it on the website, within a couple of days the pictures showed up again, everywhere. There was no way to control it. Our IT department gave up and dumped all apple products.

I have been using the Galaxy S7 for years and it still works great. Still I kind of wish I had my old Motorola Razr flip phone. Now that was one great phone. You could actually talk on it. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I might actually ponder a swap away from Apple on my next upgrade.

Kind of bored, although facetime is ideal.

i don't think Apple is the best, but I don't want to learn a new system...and I hate when buddies text me with an Android and it comes out of order in 3 separate texts 😑

I just ordered a new phone. I won’t update my software once I get one.
Here, @Smiter, is an example of why not updating is a bad idea (from one of my security newsletters):
Hackers Scanning for Exchange Server Vulnerabilities Within Minutes of Disclosure
(May 19, 2021)
Researchers from Palo Alto networks say that hackers were scanning for vulnerable Exchange Servers within minutes after Microsoft disclosed the four zero-day vulnerabilities. The report also says that Remote Desktop Protocol accounted for 32 percent of security issues.
If it's Internet-connected, it has to be kept up-to-date.

Here, @Smiter, is an example of why not updating is a bad idea (from one of my security newsletters):

If it's Internet-connected, it has to be kept up-to-date.

Thank you kind sir for the info.

Now can you please tell them to quit frying my batteries at 2 years on the damn nose if I update?

I got a steal on the new one, but still like to get 4 years out of them. They have the newest software when I get them. All my credit/debit cards are zero fraud liability so if I get hacked, I get hacked (again).

Discover sent me a text a couple years back and someone in NC had made a large purchase at a Lowe’s down there. It was within $100.00 of my credit limit. So they either knew it or took stuff off until it cleared, 🤣. Discover (dumb move) approved it but then texted me and asked if it was me. I called them, used my card with pin in OH, and the charge was gone within 24 hours. But they likely ate that bill, and it wasn’t a bill I’d prefer to eat.

Just picked up the S21 5g Ultra, love it so far!

I have a Moto G7 power. It only cost around $250 and the battery lasts me a couple days per charge.

Thank you kind sir for the info.
You're welcome :)

Now can you please tell them to quit frying my batteries at 2 years on the damn nose if I update?
Don't know what to tell you. My wife's and my iPhone 6S' were five years old when we traded up to iPhone SE (2020)'s a few months back. I'd replaced my battery once. (I think it was down to 80% capacity?) My wife's was on the verge of needing a new battery. We applied every update as they appeared--or soon after.

Mind you: Sometimes an update would result in reduced runtime for a few days or a week. That is a known thing. Theories abound as to why it happens. We experienced the same effect on our Android devices from time-to-time.

Same with our iPads. Mine is now four years old and running on its original battery. It likewise has been kept up-to-date all along. My wife's iPad's battery was due for replacement, but she uses her tablet a lot more heavily than do I. (We bought her a new iPad, instead.)

The trick to preserving Li-Ion battery life is don't regularly run them too low. Try to get them on the charger when they get no lower than 70% or so. Heat is Li-Ion's biggest enemy, and long charge times from batteries run low generates heat.

You're welcome :)

Don't know what to tell you. My wife's and my iPhone 6S' were five years old when we traded up to iPhone SE (2020)'s a few months back. I'd replaced my battery once. (I think it was down to 80% capacity?) My wife's was on the verge of needing a new battery. We applied every update as they appeared--or soon after.

Mind you: Sometimes an update would result in reduced runtime for a few days or a week. That is a known thing. Theories abound as to why it happens. We experienced the same effect on our Android devices from time-to-time.

Same with our iPads. Mine is now four years old and running on its original battery. It likewise has been kept up-to-date all along. My wife's iPad's battery was due for replacement, but she uses her tablet a lot more heavily than do I. (We bought her a new iPad, instead.)

The trick to preserving Li-Ion battery life is don't regularly run them too low. Try to get them on the charger when they get no lower than 70% or so. Heat is Li-Ion's biggest enemy, and long charge times from batteries run low generates heat.

Thanks again my friend!

Back