Championship Courses You Have Played

Three:

TPC at Sawgrass (wife and I BOTH parred #17, the island hole!)
Inverness in Toledo ( 4 US Opens, 2 PGA's, 1 US Amateur, 2021 Solheim Cup)
Highland Meadows, (host of the LPGA Toledo Classic for the last 30+ years)

Last edited:
Hazeltine, Interlachen, Whistling Straits, PGA National, Torrey Pines, and Chambers Bay.

Erin Hills
Cog Hill
Torrey Pines

there was a similar thread a while back. I did some poking and found a list of Major venues going way back to the 1800's(?). there were a surprising number of courses that you might not think about that have maybe been redesigned, faded from glory or whatever.

But- for me

Bethpage Black
Salisbury Golf Club (Now the Eisenhower Red) 1926 PGA
Pebble Beach
St. Andrews
Garden City Golf Club (1902 US Open) Girlfriend's Dad at the time got me on- 1980 something

For those that have played in and around the NYC area. There are many courses with not broad knowledge that have hosted PGA's and Opens back in the day. Courses like Pelham, Siwanoy or Inwood to name a few. While I was playing these courses I am sure I took note of the heritage. But to aggregate them I'm a tad remiss. My guess is I have played about 30 courses that have held a Mens major. My guess is also that they are split quite evenly between Opens, US Opens and PGA's.
Edit after reviewing PGA list I've played 18 on that list so my guess is now closer to 40.

Last edited:
I've played
The Old Course
Prestwick
Royal Troon
Kingsbarn, if you'll count the Women's Open
Cedar Crest, Dallas, TX

Playing this year
Southern Hills
Royal Portrush

Last edited:
Chambers Bay
Old Course
Carnoustie

I think Pecan Valley in SA-TX is the only one that hosted any of the men's four majors (68 PGA, closest Arnie came to career slam). Sadly, PV no longer exists😢

Played a few others that hosted Champion's or LPGA majors like The Broadmoor East (CO Springs), Indianwood (Lake Orion MI), and Prairie Dunes (Hutchinson KS).

Probably played about a dozen others that hosted non major tour events, be it PGA, LPGA, or Champions.

Last edited:
If you count the 5th major I've played TPC Sawgrass. I've played a small handful of other tour stops but I don't think any of them have hosted majors.

Cedar Crest GC in Dallas, host of the 1927 PGA Championship
Walter Hagen won his 4th consecutive PGA Title and his 5th overall
I too, have played Cedar Crest many a time.....Still play it every year for the Byron Military Tournament

Bethpage, Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Baltusrol, Merion, Fresh Meadow, Riviera, Pebble Beach, Whistling Straits, Pinehurst, PGA National

we need to become better friends. Very jealous of this list.

Man I thought the list was a touch longer, but maybe not

PGA National
Bethpage Black
Seaview Country Club

Torrey Pines
Pebble Beach
Olympia Fields
CogHill Dubs Dread (And the other 3 courses)
Medinah

Olympic Club Lake Course
TPC Harding Park

Torrey Pines - US Open
Canterbury - US Open, PGA Championship, Senior versions of both, and the US am
Firestone South - PGA Championship

If going with Dimples including national Am events:
Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails - US AM

Will be adding Erin Hills and Whistling Straits this summer.
Ooohhh. I forgot about Canterbury hosting a few major's. Time to update the list.

I've played a few courses that have hosted PGA/LPGA events, but never even seen a "Major" course in person.

Wow - none I think :/

Had to look up each major one by one to make this list.
  • Hillcrest Country Club Los Angeles, California- 1929 PGA Championship
  • PGA National Golf Club (Champion) Palm Beach Gardens, Florida- 1971, 1987 PGA Championship
  • Congressional Country Club Bethesda, Maryland- PGA Championship and US Opens
  • The Ocean Course Kiawah Island, South Carolina- 2012, 2021 PGA Championship
  • Torey Pines San Diego, CA- Many US Opens

So far just 1...Kiawah

Hoping to get on some of the Massachusetts U.S. Open sites like Myopia and TCC someday soon. Will scratch off a bunch of Open sites when we finally make the pilgrimage to the U.K.

Zero and i need to change that soon!

Zilch :cry:

Back