In college there was a semester where my buddy and I played quite a bit. I would love to get back into it because it was a lot of fun but unfortunately I don’t know anyone else who plays

Looks like Carlsen is walking away from the world championship…

Sad but understandable as his heart isn't in it and he's disagreed with the format and tried getting it changed. The fact that it would be a rematch against an opponent that he killed makes it easier to walk away. But can the winner actually claim to be the best in the world if they didn't beat Magnus?

I remember in 7th and 8th grade we played chess with one of my favorite teachers during recess all the time. I loved it. I came home and taught my siblings, but after high school I stopped playing and sadly I'm not even sure if I'd remember. Might have to make a trip to @xThor and spend a week with him learning again.

Sad but understandable as his heart isn't in it and he's disagreed with the format and tried getting it changed. The fact that it would be a rematch against an opponent that he killed makes it easier to walk away. But can the winner actually claim to be the best in the world if they didn't beat Magnus?
That will be interesting for sure. Do you know what the plan is to crown a new champ with him walking away?

That will be interesting for sure. Do you know what the plan is to crown a new champ with him walking away?
I think it happened with Kasparov too. They hold the tournament with the top 2 qualifiers and name the winner the world champion. Yet the #1 in the world will still be Magnus based on his rating. It's happened before but unfortunate for whoever wins the world championship as no one truly sees them in the same light. Imagine if Ian Nepomniachtchi wins.. Magnus wiped the floor with him last year.

In school back in the 70's I played a lot of chess while on acid....

Love chess. Wish I had someone to play with.

Just Google up a local chess club. I can almost guarantee you that one exists not far from you.

I remember in 7th and 8th grade we played chess with one of my favorite teachers during recess all the time. I loved it. I came home and taught my siblings, but after high school I stopped playing and sadly I'm not even sure if I'd remember. Might have to make a trip to @xThor and spend a week with him learning again.

I'me kind of like you are, I can't figure out where the boundary is! It's getting more tenuous by the day! What is reality, and what might be the simulation?

I think it happened with Kasparov too. They hold the tournament with the top 2 qualifiers and name the winner the world champion. Yet the #1 in the world will still be Magnus based on his rating. It's happened before but unfortunate for whoever wins the world championship as no one truly sees them in the same light. Imagine if Ian Nepomniachtchi wins.. Magnus wiped the floor with him last year.
It happened with Fischer, who flat out refused to play and Karpov was awarded the title. Kasparov was beaten by Kramnik, though he was absent when he broke away from the FIDE establishment.

My son's elementary school just put out a flyer to join the chess club. My son has never played, I played a lot when younger wonder if he would be into it.

Yeah I like Chess. I watch a lot of Daniel Naroditsky's speedruns, Carlsen's online stuff. A bit of Hikaru, Botez Sisters, Gotham Chess, etc.

Chess.com I'm only about 900, but I rarely actually play anyone! More of a watcher.

My son's elementary school just put out a flyer to join the chess club. My son has never played, I played a lot when younger wonder if he would be into it.
The worst thing that could happen is he doesn’t like it, and moves on. Elementary school is a great try anything time.

Who else has been following the vibrating anal beads chess cheating story that happened in St. Louis?

I've been following the story but the idea of anal beads is a bit of a stretch.

Wow, Magnus is basically refusing to play Neimann now. This is gonna be a huge continuing story. Eventually Magnus is going to have to come out and talk about it.

As part of my 2023 goals of being 1% better everyday I decided to take up Chess as well due to the demand on the mind to be good. Thought is it will translate to other parts of my life as well. Blew a lot of rating early on this year on Chess.com learning, but slowly working back up the ladder. Really enjoying the 5 minute blitz games right now.

I somehow got hit by the chess YouTube algorithm awhile back and went down the rabbit hole for a couple weeks. Learned about all of the world's best and ratings, chess.com, cheating scandals, etc. I like to know a little about everything so it was surprisingly enjoyable!

I somehow got hit by the chess YouTube algorithm awhile back and went down the rabbit hole for a couple weeks. Learned about all of the world's best and ratings, chess.com, cheating scandals, etc. I like to know a little about everything so it was surprisingly enjoyable!
That algorithm has a firm hold of me right now.

I haven't played in many years. There was a time i got heavy into chess and played and researched the game a lot. I should play again sometime.

My dad and I played a lot when I was a kid. My daughter has recently started to be interested so it's been fun trying to remember how to play and teach her

Still doing daily puzzles and playing matches, but boy oh boy do I still stink. I do better in 10 minute games, but 3 & 5 minute games I just blunder left and right and miss wins.

Still doing daily puzzles and playing matches, but boy oh boy do I still stink. I do better in 10 minute games, but 3 & 5 minute games I just blunder left and right and miss wins.
Remember the other person will make mistakes too. Well, depending on rating. But stick with the basics: solid opening, exert pressure on mid game, know how to finish.

Drunk Magnus is the best Magnus.

I need to get back into playing more often.. i love chess but haven't played in far too long

Back