Clayton Kershaw-Perfect game and pulled in 8th

Perfect game with 13k's and only 80 pitches and is pulled after 7 innings. Now you can see why interest is down in the sport.

It does suck but with the shortened spring training these pitchers are stretched out. He said "it was the right call".

It also happened against my Twins. HOORAY!!!

The only way I’m ok with it is if Kershaw was, otherwise in the spirit of the game of baseball I’m offended

edit: I see now that he was so it’s fine

The only way I’m ok with it is if Kershaw was, otherwise in the spirit of the game of baseball I’m offended

edit: I see now that he was so it’s fine
He did say that he was but he also said multiple times that he would’ve loved to go back out there and try to finish it. I think that’s more true than “knowing it was the right decision.” I think he’s being a good teammate & pro and saying the right things.

I remember when baseball was played by men. Pussification of America at its finest.
Imagine pulling Bob Gibson when he was throwing a no hitter much less a perfect game. That wouldn't have been a very healthy idea.

I think he’s being a good teammate & pro and saying the right things.

I think he has millions of reasons to say those things.

Kershaw's contract has a base salary of $17M plus those aforementioned incentives. If he makes at least 16 starts in 2022, he'll earn a $1M bonus. He will then make an additional $1M each time he hits 20,22,24, and 26 games started.

Back in my day, pitchers threw complete games 4 days a week :LOL:

I think he has millions of reasons to say those things.
He made over $215 million on his last contract. I don’t think a potential $5 million extra is a reason to save his arm and come out of a potential perfect game.

I get the strategy and thought behind, but this is also why baseball no longer gets my entertainment dollar or attention

I get the strategy and thought behind, but this is also why baseball no longer gets my entertainment dollar or attention
I mean Joey Votto has a super weird TikTok account if that helps 🤷‍♂️

80 pitches. These guys are treated far too much like China dolls. I agree that it turns people off.

80 pitches. These guys are treated far too much like China dolls. I agree that it turns people off.
Koufax threw 203 pitches in one game. 150 was common.

The only thing that has changed is today they are paid about 100 times more than their predecessors.

Comparing Koufax to Kershaw. 1960 vs. 2022.
Nothing has changed??? Pitchers today rarely throw more than 100 pitches in a game. Koufax threw more complete games in 1966 than Kershaw has thrown in his career. Today's ballplayers are spoiled, football too. That’s the point I'm trying to make, do you disagree? Kershaw should have ran Dave Roberts back to the dugout and finished his gem.

Nothing has changed??? Pitchers today rarely throw more than 100 pitches in a game. Koufax threw more complete games in 1966 than Kershaw has thrown in his career. Today's ballplayers are spoiled, football too.
Ok 👍

Nothing has changed??? Pitchers today rarely throw more than 100 pitches in a game. Koufax threw more complete games in 1966 than Kershaw has thrown in his career. Today's ballplayers are spoiled, football too. That’s the point I'm trying to make, do you disagree? Kershaw should have ran Dave Roberts back to the dugout and finished his gem.
They throw every pitch faster, and with more movement, against more dangerous hitters who use Lasik instead of smoking Luckies. Kershaw's incentives are for starts and wins in the playoffs. It's a long season. You don't need his best stuff to win a then 3-0 ballgame, you need him to win games in September and October.

They throw every pitch faster, and with more movement, against more dangerous hitters who use Lasik instead of smoking Luckies. Kershaw's incentives are for starts and wins in the playoffs. It's a long season. You don't need his best stuff to win a then 3-0 ballgame, you need him to win games in September and October.

Again, this kind of speaks to what is wrong with modern MLB. Micromanaged, 10 pitchers coming in to throw to single players, 4:30 hr games. Granted they have changed the pitching rules, the games are still way too micromanaged in some of our eyes.

More dangerous hitters? You ever hear of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams or Stan Musial?

Today’s pitchers get hurt too much. Some think pitch counts actually contribute to this. Koufax and Gibson were always there in September and October. Hell Gibson finished an inning on a broken leg.

I totally get it from a durability situation, but low in the pitch count, why not let him see it through?

Isn't a perfect game a big deal?
only if you consider 1:9500 ish a big deal

Back