Cleaning Golf Shoes. What do you do?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My shoes were left in a terrible state at the end of last season. All sorts of gunk left in the cleats that I need to clean out, and the rest of the shoes need a good clean.

How do you clean your shoes? Any specific products you use on the shoe itself to keep them soft and clean?

I generally will soak the bottoms in about of inch of water to loosen things up (works great for a stuck cleat) and give them a good scrub, and then spray them down with a soap/water mix and scrub the rest of the shoe. If I get really ambitious, a bit of armor all for a shine. Probably the wrong way to do it, but its how I do.

Magic eraser works like well...magic. Keeps the uppers looking like new for a long time. I clean out the soles with a dish washing brush. Not my wife’s kitchen sink brush but you get the idea.

Just a hose and a rag, wet them down then rag the top part, hose bottom again then rag as much as I can around the spikes and sole, slam them together to essentially dry as mush as possible

I just hit them with a toothbrush and warm soapy water. Wipe them down good and set out to make sure they dry

My golf shoes end up stanky after a few rounds and will rotate shoes often. Need a good product to cut down on the funk.

Bash ‘em together to get big bits off, then warm soapy water and a brush.

I really like the idea of trying a magic eraser to clean them.

It matters what the uppers are made out of. Most golf shoes today are some combination of plastics and rubber. For those, I start by knocking off the loose stuff first. Then use a mild dish soap and water combination and a brush with plastic bristles. Start at one end and work to the other end until completely clean. The brush is key as golf shoes typically have a lot of crannies and slits that are hard to get into and this does the trick.

For leather uppers you need a different process.

Same way I clean all of my shoes.. Washing machine inside a Reshoven8r Laundry Bag, works like a charm.

I rinse them off after the round then a scrub brush & shoe cleaner later on, followed up bewitch a shine & polish. Keeps them clean, healthy & looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly warm wet rag and brush with soap. Maybe a little foot powder when done.

Definitely getting some good info from this thread. I have the white Cuaters that I’m going to need to clean soon since they’re fabric.

I wipe mine down after every round. Clean and replace spikes as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the air compressor at my club after I finish my round to get the worst of the mud off, then if I take them home I will stand them in a bit of warm water to loosen any stubborn mud and use a brush to clean the soles. After that, I use a damp cloth to wipe down the upper and dry them off

I use the air compressor at my club after I finish my round to get the worst of the mud off, then if I take them home I will stand them in a bit of warm water to loosen any stubborn mud and use a brush to clean the soles. After that, I use a damp cloth to wipe down the upper and dry them off
I wish more courses had an air compressor available. They are great for getting stuff out of the cracks and crannies so prevalent in today's golf shoes.

I clap them together to clean the bottoms. Wipe the uppers with a wet rag. That’s about it.

Post round I blow them off with an air compressor, and when they get mud or dirty on the shoe I use Reshoven8er cleaning kit. Work from soles, to top. If they are tennis shoe style in the laundry bag and wash they go. Last but not least the odor eliminator.

Works awesome on everyday shoes too.

I have an air compressor in my garage. When I get home, I fire up the compressor and blow all the loose crap off the shoes, especially the stuff on the soles. I have a mudroom with a deep sink and I run water all over the shoes to remove anything else that is loose. Then I take a damp cloth and liquid hand soap to remove the mud, dirt, grime. Dry them off with a towel and return them to the shoe box they came out of.
If I have any scuff marks, I spray a little brake cleaner on a rag and rub off the scuff marks. Magic Eraser also works.
If you clean them after every time you play, they tend to stay looking good for a very long time.

Been a couple mention the washing machine approach. Any tips before trying it for the first time?

Easiest way I’ve found is leave them some where my wife will see them. She hates dirty shoes. :ROFLMAO:

I'll use this thread as an excuse for complaining that I still miss steel spikes. I trip and fall with soft spikes, so I go with those patterned-sole golf shoes.

As for cleaning my golf shoes, it's not like the old days when I used shoe polish on golf shoes that were like street shoes with spikes.

I'm still figuring out the best way to clean the modern ones so I'll follow this thread.

I usually have a white pair, a black pair, and a brown pair. (Not so much saddle two-tone anymore.) They get alternated enough so that that don't get too worn out too fast.

But when they do, they all have to be replaced at once and my wife gives me the stink eye when she gets the credit card bill.

I clean out all the spikes post round when the grass turf is still fresh.

for the upper I use a wet towel and wipe it down.

Back