Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedge Preview

After thinking about it for a few minutes I can't recall a wedge with milling across the face like this. That's innovation.

I can't wait to get these in hand and put em to work. The slight grind has me curious as well, it doesn't look like a lot but just enough to be noticeable.

Vokey has a milled face but not like these.

I was about to order a 588 58 degree to go with my 50 & 54. I may wait though cause the added spin would be nice on delicate little pitch shots

Looking forward to hearing everybody's thoughts. I had a chance to read some information from Cleveland on these last night and it's pretty impressive. Hopefully it translates into some real-world results.

Kind of a cool picture here.

face.jpg

Being an ex machinist I see what they are doing with the faces. Thats a neat idea I wish I had thought of.

I think it's the C-grind that the 16's had, SW.

I think you're right, at least that's how I'm reading the description.

Vokey has a milled face but not like these.

yeah, lots of them have milling on the face, but I'm speaking to the milling across the entire face.

Dangit the more I sit here and look the more questions I have. For instance the "new" laser milling, what makes it last longer than the previous style, is it deeper/wider, is the medal harder etc etc?

I was about to order a 588 58 degree to go with my 50 & 54. I may wait though cause the added spin would be nice on delicate little pitch shots

Maybe try the 588 too if you haven't already. I had the 588's as does one of my buddies. I'll be honest, I came up short pretty often on little touch pitches and longer chips due to some serious check on the first bounce. My buddy has a low bounce 60* that he bent to 62* and he just fires directly at the hole on shots like that and the 588 kills it dead within inches.

On second thought, this is the RTX thread. So go for it if the 588 still isn't an option. It is a serious looking wedge!

Driving for show and chutting for dough

Maybe try the 588 too if you haven't already. I had the 588's as does one of my buddies. I'll be honest, I came up short pretty often on little touch pitches and longer chips due to some serious check on the first bounce. My buddy has a low bounce 60* that he bent to 62* and he just fires directly at the hole on shots like that and the 588 kills it dead within inches.

On second thought, this is the RTX thread. So go for it if the 588 still isn't an option. It is a serious looking wedge!

588 is my number 1 right now. I am between the 60 and 58 due to I know this will be an around the green only club for me.

good news for you though is that when mine arrive for testing we can meet up and compare to the ones you have

I can't wait for mine to arrive, every time I see a UPS or mail carrier I get giddy!!!

588 is my number 1 right now. I am between the 60 and 58 due to I know this will be an around the green only club for me.

Give it a few weeks to let the testers get some feedback up, I'd hate for you have buyers remorse dude.

I'm pretty excited for this testing to start soon. Do any of the testers have early thoughts? Has anyone received this bad boy yet? It sure is pretty!

TT on iPad

Thain, do you know what loft you'll be testing?

Thain, do you know what loft you'll be testing?

We are all testing 56s and roughly 2 weeks later a 60 will be added to our testing mix. I sure am looking forward to this one. I've had nothing but bad luck in the past with Cleveland wedges and I am certain that will change with this testing.

TT on iPad

Right on man. Nice to see you'll have a couple of them. It's kind of an interesting deal because I see two very different uses it could excel in. As a gap wedge it would be nice to have a little more forgiveness since that's the one I'm most likely to swing full. As a lob wedge, I'm very interested in the Rotex face since that'st the one I open up most often. Have you tried the CG16's before?

I haven't seen mine yet and can't wait for them to get here, do we know if we're getting satin chrome or the black?

As far as appearance go I think they look great, the back cavity is very intriguing and I can't wait to see how the performance and forgiveness is on full or 3/4 shots.

I currently play 54/58 so this will be a slight change for me, I used to have a 588 60 and loved it so I'm hoping these will flow right into that feel and performance with added forgiveness and just the playability that comes with new technology.

Right on man. Nice to see you'll have a couple of them. It's kind of an interesting deal because I see two very different uses it could excel in. As a gap wedge it would be nice to have a little more forgiveness since that's the one I'm most likely to swing full. As a lob wedge, I'm very interested in the Rotex face since that'st the one I open up most often. Have you tried the CG16's before?

I haven't sent a whole lot of time with many Cleveland wedges to be honest. The rounded leading edge has given me fits in the past.

TT on iPad

The 16's had about as straight a leading edge as you'll find in their line-up, if I remember correctly. 588 is defnitely straigter than the CG15 was as well.

The 16's had about as straight a leading edge as you'll find in their line-up, if I remember correctly. 588 is defnitely straigter than the CG15 was as well.

Then it is definitely something I could've looked at, had I been in the market for wedges. I was in the market for about 9 days until I was notified as a tester. Been straight PWing it ever since.

I'm pumped to get this started too. Hawk, I played the CG16s prior to finding the J40s this year. I'm putting off selling them until I can get some comparisons in. I'll be sure to get some photos with both for everyone. Agreed that these could likely make a great gap wedge, but I too am interested in the rotex face for opening up and sand shots. The wear on my J40 tells me I miss on the toe sometimes. I also haven't carried a 60˚ all year so going back to that will be interesting. I'll be carrying 15 clubs for much of the testing until I figure out what I want to drop...

Pictures definitely make it look a little more like a 588 aside from the cavity. Good with the testing, Jon.

I'm ready for these to show up. Though I don't want to fill this thread with posts saying so. It's been a few years since I've used Cleveland Wedges. I'm hoping to get as much outside testing done with these as I can before I have to move it inside.

I have a 588 in my bag that I rage-desperation bought and its the first Cleveland Ive had in a while. I think these look like a very nice wedge and I look forward to seeing which one we actually end up with.

Here are the faces of the 55 and 60 I got off the Cleveland truck yesterday !

DSCF1362.jpg

As I posted, The grooves are almost big enough to swallow the golf ball, definitely the biggest I've seen.
Now to get to the range tomorrow.

DSCF1362.jpg

As I posted, The grooves are almost big enough to swallow the golf ball, definitely the biggest I've seen.

Holy _____!!! How are those even legal?

DSCF1362.jpg

Those look awesome, I love the industrial look!

Wow, the laser milling looks a lot different from the picture.

Back