Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

I currently have a 58* CBX2 that I think is fine. I have heard that the Full Face is more versatile in the higher lofts. I currently have the opportunity to pick up a FF 60* for $100 and I'm wondering if I should. I struggle with my wedge game around the green. Should I pick up the full face in hopes that it helps me around the green and try to trade or sell my CBX2 58* and pick up a CBX2 in a 52*?
I have the CBX 2 in 50/56/60. I just got the Full face in the 60 and I like it much better.

I have the CBX 2 in 50/56/60. I just got the Full face in the 60 and I like it much better.
The full face won out for the lob wedge spot mostly because I like having a different color wedge in bag and the full face was cool looking. But they are both so good and awesome to hit. Everyone should consider these. Best wedges I have hit. Just easy. Like a hot knife through butter.

I currently have a 58* CBX2 that I think is fine. I have heard that the Full Face is more versatile in the higher lofts. I currently have the opportunity to pick up a FF 60* for $100 and I'm wondering if I should. I struggle with my wedge game around the green. Should I pick up the full face in hopes that it helps me around the green and try to trade or sell my CBX2 58* and pick up a CBX2 in a 52*?

I have the full face 58* and CBX2 50* and 54*.

As others have said, the 58* is just fantastic around the green. I used to use my 54* for most of my short game shots. Now I use my 50* which I am playing something to run out and 58* for short chips, pitches, lobs. It is SUCH a good club.

During the round last week, I was quoting Alonzo from the movie Training Day.

a9930f2a-1478-4f33-b4ba-efa7ca19d95a_text_hi.gif

Grabbed a 52 today. Going all in and ordered Steelfiber i125s for the 52 (bent to 54), and 58. These look so good at address.

Grabbed a 52 today. Going all in and ordered Steelfiber i125s for the 52 (bent to 54), and 58. These look so good at address.
Do it. They are so good.

I think that the CBX 2 in a gap and 52/54, combined with a full face in a 58/60 are a great set. I wish the CBX 2s came in the same color as the full face, but that is a minor complaint.

I think that the CBX 2 in a gap and 52/54, combined with a full face in a 58/60 are a great set. I wish the CBX 2s came in the same color as the full face, but that is a minor complaint.
Agree on the color. I ordered a 56 in the full face as well. I like the aesthetics of the full face as well. I put the steel fiber 110’s in the wedges and really like them. Will be going to the i95’s in my next iron set.

Agree on the color. I ordered a 56 in the full face as well. I like the aesthetics of the full face as well. I put the steel fiber 110’s in the wedges and really like them. Will be going to the i95’s in my next iron set.

I love the i95s.

I love the i95s.
I was fit into i95s for my new irons, really looking forward to getting them (should be here this week), but I have Recoil 95s in my CBX2 wedges, and am really happy with them.

Yep. This is my only complaint. Performance wise the 58 was the same for the full face and cbx2. I went with the full face because it looks cooler.

But they are both amazing wedges more people should have. I’ve never seen them out in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my shot game comparison with only 6 weeks into the 2020 season with CBX 2 & FF vs. 2019 when I played a bevy of different wedges.
2019:
EE50B36A-BA37-4150-80BA-01DBFD1FDF7B.jpeg
2020:
D3DF0337-5A67-40D7-951D-E26143775E5B.jpeg

Am I crazy for wanting to remove the finish from my cbx2 and making it raw? I found someone that said they would do it and it would be fine.

Also considering for full face.

Am I crazy for wanting to remove the finish from my cbx2 and making it raw? I found someone that said they would do it and it would be fine.

Also considering for full face.
Stop considering it, do it. Really enjoying my 56* full face, as well as the CBX 2 48* & 52* wedges, but that 56* full face. Me Likey.....

As usual I somehow got subconsciously convinced via the forgiving wedge thread to replace my Smart Sole with a CBX 2 56.
It was due for replacement anyway but the way people were raving about this club I thought it must be worth the upgrade and decided on the 56 rather than matching the smart soles 58.
One thing I loved about the smart sole was its ability to allow you to really dig with a strong forward press and not get stuck in the ground etc.
I quickly realised with this club that you cannot do that and that perhaps the smart soles forgiveness had led me into some bad practices.
I played some pretty terrible shots with this wedge and was getting frustrated and losing confidence in it. I was already looking at other wedges to replace it and possibly going back to the Smart Sole 4.
Instead I watched some YouTube videos particularly on playing the 80 yard pitch and restyled my short game swing into a more conventional swing. Funnily enough quite similar to the one I use for my PM Grind lob.
Once I figured this out I realised why this club is so forgiving. The wide v shaped sole allows you to play quite aggressively into the turf without fatting the ball. Also the removal of the forward press stops the leak to the left.
The only thing left really is to work on my distances and dial in on those numbers.
I should have done this when I first bought a smart sole but I don't think YouTube golf videos were so big then.
Either way thanks again THP for positively influencing my bag and actually my game this time. I will update on how it goes but so far I'm very happy.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Really figured it out now. Playing some great wedge shots, I just need to spend some time dialling in distances and practicing.
Feel confident and enjoy pulling this out of the bag

I'm working on figuring out my distances too. When I put the Recoil 95s on my old RTX 2.0s my distance increased a bit over 5 yds on full swings. Now with the CBX2s, also with Recoil 95s, I'm almost another 10 yds or so longer. This actually gives me better gapping between my 50* and my set PW, I just have to get it in my head that I am hitting them consistently that much further.

I haven't hit many full shots during a round yet with the 50* (they fly high on the range tee, though), but I hit some nice chips around the green with it last week. Looking forward to feeling this one out a little bit more soon.

Recent poor ball-striking is evident on the new clubface. I've only played 27 (bad) holes since I got the club, but this is pathetic. We'll see if I can straighten things out this afternoon.

KIMG3218.JPG

(Pay no attention to the marks on the hosel.)

Recent poor ball-striking is evident on the new clubface. I've only played 27 (bad) holes since I got the club, but this is pathetic. We'll see if I can straighten things out this afternoon.

View attachment 8953446

Interestingly, I never shank shots, I can count the number on one hand per year, typically one about every 100-150 rounds. I shanked three with CBX2 in 36 holes, so I sold them. Completely lost confidence in them. Just weird. Found them extremely clunky overall anyway.

My 54 is quickly becoming my go to from 100yds and in. I ordered a Full Face 58 today but it’ll have to be really good for me to stop using the CBX2.

View attachment 8953446

Those are some strange marks, almost as if your hitting something creating vertical scrath marks and not a typical ball mark. Mine have a dozen rounds so far, but nohting like that on any of the 3 I have.

Those are some strange marks, almost as if your hitting something creating vertical scrath marks and not a typical ball mark. Mine have a dozen rounds so far, but nohting like that on any of the 3 I have.
Most of that is from a practice range trip; that tee is sandier than most places on our course, even when the grass grows back in.

I'm more concerned with the location of the marks -- high on the face and heel-side.

Day at the range, I love seeing that grass burn on the back of the V sole from clipping balls off the turf.
eb1cc016cbb14d11ada19cabe69735b8.jpg
82f395f0d4461c33a75254b346b9026b.jpg

I've played several rounds plus one extended on-course practice session with a 50/56/60 set of CBX2 wedges (actually the 50 is an older CBX). I wanted to wait until I had a good many reps under my belt to mention this but now I think it's for real.

On full swings, these wedges play as if their lofts are weaker. My full swings are simultaneously more consistent (for distance) than my Vokeys were and also pretty much a full club shorter.

My 50-degree Vokey has always been my "100 club". If I hit 10 well struck shots they'll probably range from 95 up to 100 or 101 yards. The 50-degree CBX number is 91 or 92. But remarkably consistent. All but one or two of the full shots I've hit have measured out at either 91 or 92 yards. Yesterday I even tried "standing on it" with two shots to see if I could generate some more distance. One of them was 92 yards and the other was 89 into a slight breeze.

My Vokey lofts don't match up to the CBX2 in the SW/LW but my usual number is 85-90 yards with the 54 degree and 75-80 yards with the 58 degree. The story with the 56 degree CBX2 is like the 50 degree. I hit it basically 74-75 yards. If it's uphill, maybe 72. It's like groundhog day, I can stand there and hit the same shot three times in a row and they're all 74 or 75. But that's actually shorter than my Vokey with two degree more loft.

So let me be clear, I am not complaining. I am 100% happy to use a 50 instead of 54 for a 90-yard shot when I know the distance will be as consistent as I'm seeing with the CBX 50 degree. I haven't had that consistent a full-swing wedge game since years ago when I used to practice incessantly with my wedges. But I need to rethink my choices of lofts. What I want is a "100 yard wedge" and then two shorter distances. A set that covers 100-85-75 would be cool. Or if it were 100-90-80 or 100-85-70 or anything else with 10-15 yards gaps and a 100 yard top end. I just don't want to hit a choked-down iron shot from 100 yards.

A couple other comments. First, I can't seem to figure out my bunker game with these wedges other than to say it's the same as full swings. A shot that I'd hit with the 58 Vokey needs the 56 CBX2 and I still have to swing a bit harder. And shots that were routine with the 54 Vokey I'm having to fall back to the 50 CBX2. I may have to chance my technique somehow, maybe open the faces up less or something.

And the final comment is I'm pretty much sold at this point. It's only a handful or rounds but my details Strokes Gained stats indicate I am definitely hitting better shots on average with the CBX2's than the Vokeys. I'm getting worse results out of the sand but the full swing and short game results are better that even with the (worse) bunker shots included my Strokes Gained per Shot numbers are improved simply by putting a set of CBX2's in the bag and going out to play. That's after 15+ years of mostly playing various 50/54/60 or 50/54/58 sets of Vokey wedges.

My next step is to acquire a 54 to replace the 56, a 58 to replace the 60 and either a 48 or 46 to replace the 50. That ought to suit my distance needs better.

Back