First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

Riiiiiight? They’ve grown on me, a lot.

The only thing thats holding me back is my RTX4's arent even close to being worn out haha

But my internet golfer side says make the switch!

:unsure::ROFLMAO:

I'm still really enjoying the ZipCore 54* Mid - it just shines out of junky lies and all types of bunker sand. I had some pretty variable bunker conditions over the last couple weeks, and I love how predictable it is even out of wet sand bordering on hardpan. It still somehow has the right amount of dig vs. bounce to engage the sand and avoid the dreaded bladed / thin miss, and this is impressive to me.

I'm still really enjoying the ZipCore 54* Mid - it just shines out of junky lies and all types of bunker sand. I had some pretty variable bunker conditions over the last couple weeks, and I love how predictable it is even out of wet sand bordering on hardpan. It still somehow has the right amount of dig vs. bounce to engage the sand and avoid the dreaded bladed / thin miss, and this is impressive to me.
I could not agree with this more. My sand game has been significantly better with the ZC 60*. The amount of spin it generates from wet sand has given me the confidence to really go after it, which is huge for a below average golfer like me that tends to decel when hitting out of tough lies or close to the green.

Around greens, I have comforting confidence with my zipcore wedges. I have said this before but would rather have a chip than a long putt. I put massive work into wedge play, and this year that part of my game took a huge leap forward. And with the zipcores, it is a notch better yet. The balance, the feel, where I tend to hit the ball on the face ... I'm not exactly sure what is so much better over my previous wedges. I simply have more control and confidence. I like to open up wedges and let the bounce do its job. Low, high, spin, release, I can hit whatever shot I want. And when I need that square "knife" edge shot, hello 60 low. I feel like only my imagination limits shot choices. I love these wedges. I have the stock shaft in a 54 mid and NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 in the 60 low. Both shafts are solid, and I like the control with the heavier shaft in the 60. With 3/4 to full swings I hit both lower than I did with my JAWS wedges and have more control flighting the ball down. With sand shots, these are solid as long as I do my job. On full swing shots I think I like the JAWS a touch better, but at the same time with more flight control I can get full swing distances with 3/4 swings with the zipcores. I back up a lot of shots, some too much. I need to work more on spin control. The leading edges of these are on the sharper side. I find I need to be very aware of the grass direction. They will grab if I hit the wrong shot.

I have a 54 Tour Rack coming. It will have the heel & toe grind. And it may have a recoil 110 F4 shaft (have recoil 110 F5 in irons). I will find out. I look forward to comparing the grind and, hopefully, shaft. (y)

I’ve been using a 50/54/58 set up all year and I’m buying a few more zipcore to finish the lineup. It looks like they finally have my desired setup in stock so it’s finally order day

Really good ball control in the wind today . Hit the stick with 54 mid from 91 yds a few holes ago. First shot landed front edge and released left of hole. Second shot bounced 8 ft short bounced once and hit the stick almost holding out. :D

Very easy and consistent to flight down these were probably only 40 ft high. (y)

0DC57E00-3D91-4DE9-8F65-7776867AEFC1.jpeg6186F494-2EE5-4A79-9BE7-54D5120B6449.jpegF1760F68-F224-4F4E-83A0-608CA9D123E0.jpeg75D45F64-B8A9-4733-A071-F87BD821B959.jpeg

Wind is blowing like

View attachment trim.1EDC9674-A4CA-4474-82E1-FB20190EF783.MOV

Pretty nice from 105yds fairway on 11. Beautiful little draw.
C72A4EA1-DC3D-43D1-A734-96CD3646EB75.jpeg
Also hit a really nice one on 12 from 105yds... 7 ft below the hole, and an RTX4 50* from 120yds to the right about 20 ft. Now that we’ve finally had some rain the bounce is really shining is more normal conditions. At times baked out summer Lies I felt the bounce was a bit more generous than I needed but it still worked well.

0C47F3FA-D218-4A43-9671-8C5BB7B7C81E.jpeg
7347E907-AC12-4F37-A4B7-B3C5FCA251EA.jpeg

I had a lesson today that focused a lot on short and mid range wedge shots into a stiff wind. Basically, the goal was to flight the ball down a bit without giving up too much spin and stopping power. Boy was I impressed with the 56 and 60. Even with the ball back in my stance, I was able to get the ball into the wind a bit but still skip once and stop.

These dirty dogs and I have FINALLY settled all the way in together.

A8FB941A-B1E6-4A76-AD7A-8FCA29B12F85.jpeg

Shaft change, a little lie alteration, and bringing the 48 to its correct loft combined with USING THE BOUNCE in the swing has made for some nifty nippers the past few outings and the most comfort I’ve had with these yet.

These dirty dogs and I have FINALLY settled all the way in together.

View attachment 8970190

Shaft change, a little lie alteration, and bringing the 48 to its correct loft combined with USING THE BOUNCE in the swing has made for some nifty nippers the past few outings and the most comfort I’ve had with these yet.

That build is sweet. Love the shafts and ferrules.

I’m really starting to hate this wedge. I mean it’s always been short for me, no problem, I adapt. Now the damn thing is way long. :ROFLMAO: What the heck. Damn today’s round anyhow.

The 60 continues to be my favorite club in the bag. Can they make zip core irons???

I’ve finally hit full comfort with my trio and it’s been a bit of a relief as it didn’t totally click on all cylinders for a minute.

That said, I’m pretty enamored with them and the things I’ve been able to do. Now, my HS kids don’t care for them all that much when I’m laying a whooping on them in games of CHIP. :ROFLMAO:

Really good ball control in the wind today . Hit the stick with 54 mid from 91 yds a few holes ago. First shot landed front edge and released left of hole. Second shot bounced 8 ft short bounced once and hit the stick almost holding out. :D

Very easy and consistent to flight down these were probably only 40 ft high. (y)

View attachment 8969314View attachment 8969315View attachment 8969316View attachment 8969317

Wind is blowing like

View attachment 8969318
Pretty nice from 105yds fairway on 11. Beautiful little draw.
View attachment 8969321
Also hit a really nice one on 12 from 105yds... 7 ft below the hole, and an RTX4 50* from 120yds to the right about 20 ft. Now that we’ve finally had some rain the bounce is really shining is more normal conditions. At times baked out summer Lies I felt the bounce was a bit more generous than I needed but it still worked well.

View attachment 8969319
View attachment 8969320
Great performance, excited to see these in person Sunday

Oh the ability to just hit some nasty nippers with the 62 is becoming ridiculous, in two ways....

One, I’m leaning on it too much around the greens and I know it.

Two, I just keep dropping them STIFF.

Biggest stand out remains imo not their spin from ideal lies, but the amount of spin you retain in non ideal conditions be it rain, dew, rough, sand, mud, muck, more, or whatever. I’ve never hit wedges that spin SO much from crappy lies.

Currently gaming the RTX4's and time for an upgrade.

I currently have the RTX-4 in a 56 and 60 mid.

I also have a 51* set GW which is essentially a full grind.

Before I just order the mid grinds again keen to hear about what I may be missing by considering a different grind setup?

Currently gaming the RTX4's and time for an upgrade.

I currently have the RTX-4 in a 56 and 60 mid.

I also have a 51* set GW which is essentially a full grind.

Before I just order the mid grinds again keen to hear about what I may be missing by considering a different grind setup?

I am always curious about what grinds work for different golfers as well. But, the ZipCore doesn’t have different grinds. So, I am thinking you meant bounce for the ZipCore.

For me, I play some course locally that don’t have he greatest upkeep to say and have some very tight lies and hard pan bunkers. So, I generally go with a mix of my 54° wedge has a mid bounce, my 58° has a full bounce, and my 62° has a low bounce.

Quick notes on durability three months in. I’ve played maybe 15-20 rounds and finish is holding up pretty well. No unreasonable wear from bunkers and just minor scratches here and there from gravel/abuse. The milled texture the face is still in great shape.

1263E4CC-7315-4D6F-803B-3A3A04DDC84B.jpeg9A47B3D2-1E1C-4D09-99BC-1CE417297A51.jpeg3D4EE98B-411D-4B89-A93D-D194538FC463.jpeg

Just orders a 58* mid to try out. Looking forward to trying it out!

Tried out the Zipcores the other day against SM8 and MD5s, preferred the Zipcores overall. While the SM8s and MD5s are not bad at all, I think the Zipcore head shape is the best of the 3, and the dispersion was the tightest for me as well. Will likely be my next wedges.

Tried out the Zipcores the other day against SM8 and MD5s, preferred the Zipcores overall. While the SM8s and MD5s are not bad at all, I think the Zipcore head shape is the best of the 3, and the dispersion was the tightest for me as well. Will likely be my next wedges.

I have always used vokeys, I saw the ZipCore and love the shape. Never used the Cleveland wedge but after getting on there site the ZipCore would be about 60 cheaper then the sm8 so I figured I’d try it. Glad to see your results! Was a tough choice between the 2

Cleveland wedges are just really, really good to my eye. The head shape is great, and as much as anything I just love the combo of milling and laser cut micro-grooves on the face. It just feels like all the texture on the face really does the job. It's amazing the amount of junk that gets caught in the textures and grooves.

Ladies and gentlemen....and THP’ers....

I got FILTHY with these today.

The comfort is all in, and the 48 is becoming more and more versatile for me. Biggest thing is ive adapted to the grinds and am trusting them...and they are WORKING.

Consistent as the day is long and even with a ton of rounds on them, the spin from no ideal lies is crazy good.

Back