Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 Wedge Preview

I picked up a used 2.0 C and S off eBay. Will report back after I try them out. Hoping they will add some consistency to my short game.

I just go the SS 2.0 S and C and going to play them today. I really hope they work out well for me.

Anyone still gaming these? In particular the chipper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I much prefer my set of (3) 2011 Niblicks which are really more like 'hybrid wedges'...Deadly accurate for full swing shots and for helping you become a magician around the green!.. :act-up:

Lofts are 42* (PW), 49* (DW), and 56* (SW/LW)...Love all (3)...:love:

niblick.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I'm stuck down the rabbit hole today. Focusing on short game, and anything that makes it easier I'm all for. I know the newer Callaway chipper is an option, but if these work just as well, they can be had for significantly cheaper.

I guess I'm stuck down the rabbit hole today. Focusing on short game, and anything that makes it easier I'm all for. I know the newer Callaway chipper is an option, but if these work just as well, they can be had for significantly cheaper.

I'm really like my chipper. It's not one of these, but if it's close I'd say it's well worth a look.

I much prefer my set of (3) 2011 Niblicks which are really more like 'hybrid wedges'...Deadly accurate for full swing shots and for helping you become a magician around the green!.. :act-up:

Lofts are 42* (PW), 49* (DW), and 56* (SW/LW)...Love all (3)...:love:

View attachment 27330

I still game this in 56, it's awesome and is my go to club.

I've owned the Niblicks (both v1 and v2) all lofts and the Smart Sole C and S.
When it comes to chipping they were ok but still require a decent chipping type motion. They are easier than a normal wedge though.

However I tried the Odyssey Tank Chipper last season and for pure chipping it's hands down a better option for me. It's essentially like lag putting from off the green. I find it easier to judge both distance and accuracy with it. The downside is this club is more of a one trick pony compared to the Niblicks or Smart Soles which can be used to replace wedges or irons. But for me if I miss a green it's usually within chipping distance so it's worth allocating a spot in the bag to help at converting more up and downs.

The only other useful option I have found for the Tank chipper is to advance the ball on punch outs, hitting under trees etc. I've tried it full shots and the upright lie just seemed awkward.

I just replaced the C with the X Act Tank and give the Tank the edge in performance. It is stupid easy for chips as long as you accelerate through the ball and I am good out to about 70 yds with it. The Smart Sole S is still in the bag for now but may get replaced by the Callaway Sure Out. The S is great out of the bunker and soft lies but isn't very good on bunkers that are not nice and fluffy or hard tight lies.

Here's a follow up on my Smart sole 2.0 experience. I bought a C and S off eBay and gave them a go for about a month and a half. The C still required a decent chipping motion and I figured I should just work on improving my chipping instead of falling back on this club. I have been working a lot on it and feel I have finally figured it out.

Kind of same story with the S. Pretty easy out of the bunkers but one day decided to try my old sand wedge and was doing pretty well it so put that back in my bag. I liked the S out of the bunkers but wasn't a fan around the greens. I am looking into trying out the Nike Engage wedges- Toe Sweep 54 and Dual Sole 60 seems like a good combo.

Replaced my Niblick 56 with a Smart Sole S. Tried out the Sure Out too but this edged it for me. Quite a versatile club and pretty good looking compared to the previous iterations. Looks just like a standard Cleveland wedge at address.

After playing with this yesterday I am surprised that this wasn't more of a popular club. Just so easy to hit very high straight balls with plenty of backspin.
94cafe7ca895d194a30a4c8d63373747.jpg

It looks fantastic at address and you wouldn't know any different if you only saw this club from the top. That's great work by Cleveland to make it so much more appealing than previous ones.
I do not use this club out of the bunker, I use my pm grind 64 for that. This is for pitching, chipping, rolling and full shots. It's my go to club from 100 in.
So far I must say that I'm really happy I bought this over the Callaway Sure Out. It's probably the purchase that surprised me the most in terms of just how good it is. Overperformed for what I was expecting based on the Niblick.
Certainly worth considering if you're looking at the Sure Out.

After playing with this yesterday I am surprised that this wasn't more of a popular club. Just so easy to hit very high straight balls with plenty of backspin.
94cafe7ca895d194a30a4c8d63373747.jpg

It looks fantastic at address and you wouldn't know any different if you only saw this club from the top. That's great work by Cleveland to make it so much more appealing than previous ones.
I do not use this club out of the bunker, I use my pm grind 64 for that. This is for pitching, chipping, rolling and full shots. It's my go to club from 100 in.
So far I must say that I'm really happy I bought this over the Callaway Sure Out. It's probably the purchase that surprised me the most in terms of just how good it is. Overperformed for what I was expecting based on the Niblick.
Certainly worth considering if you're looking at the Sure Out.

I am curious how many wedges you play with? Do you carry 5?

I am curious how many wedges you play with? Do you carry 5?

Titleist 710 PW
Callaway MD Forged 54
Cleveland Smart Sole S
Callaway PM Grind 64
4 wedges, a really mixed bag!
Played again today and this club is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
Played this from 80 yards out;
434768aa15199961ad17dafb703718f1.jpg

Knocked it in with the Seemore for a sweet birdie. Just so good.

Titleist 710 PW
Callaway MD Forged 54
Cleveland Smart Sole S
Callaway PM Grind 64
4 wedges, a really mixed bag!
Played again today and this club is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
Played this from 80 yards out;
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/434768aa15199961ad17dafb703718f1.jpg
Knocked it in with the Seemore for a sweet birdie. Just so good.

Very nice shot. And thanks for the reply.

I am honestly debating taking my Approach Wedge out of the bag and going with a 64 as well.

Very nice shot. And thanks for the reply.

I am honestly debating taking my Approach Wedge out of the bag and going with a 64 as well.

To be honest I kind of wish I had gone with a 60 but now the Smart Sole would have rendered it useless so the 64 still has its uses but I don't play it so often. Good club though, insane amount of floppability!

To be honest I kind of wish I had gone with a 60 but now the Smart Sole would have rendered it useless so the 64 still has its uses but I don't play it so often. Good club though, insane amount of floppability!

Oh. Ok. Was looking into the PM Grind 64 because I am struggling to get out of the sand. Went with the Smart Sole 2.0 for that. But a lot of people had mentioned that they use the PM Grind 60/64 to get out of the sand too. Was debating getting the 64 Grind based on the same thought process as yours ... i.e the 60 Grind would be very close to the Smart Sole.

Oh. Ok. Was looking into the PM Grind 64 because I am struggling to get out of the sand. Went with the Smart Sole 2.0 for that. But a lot of people had mentioned that they use the PM Grind 60/64 to get out of the sand too. Was debating getting the 64 Grind based on the same thought process as yours ... i.e the 60 Grind would be very close to the Smart Sole.

The 64 out of the sand is automatic for me, not only automatic but it allows me to get close too.
I only use the Smart Sole on grass. Try out the 64 and see how you like it, it's a good club for sure.

120 yards out.
5365dc0a2916e60904eb05ea465fde1c.jpg

Best wedge ever for me.

120 yards out.
5365dc0a2916e60904eb05ea465fde1c.jpg

Best wedge ever for me.

Great shot but please tell me that you didn't do that with a Pinnacle.

Great shot but please tell me that you didn't do that with a Pinnacle.

I did! Pinnacle Gold Ribbon ladies ball!
Nowadays I play Srixon but on the par 3's I change to my second ball which is generally a cheap one, a ladies ball in this case.

I did! Pinnacle Gold Ribbon ladies ball!
Nowadays I play Srixon but on the par 3's I change to my second ball which is generally a cheap one, a ladies ball in this case.

I hope that no offense is taken but I will not play a Pinnacle. To me it feels like hitting a stone. If I find one on the golf course I won't even pick one up. In all fairness though I haven't hit a Pinnacle in almost 30 years. Perhaps things have gotten better now.

I hope that no offense is taken but I will not play a Pinnacle. To me it feels like hitting a stone. If I find one on the golf course I won't even pick one up. In all fairness though I haven't hit a Pinnacle in almost 30 years. Perhaps things have gotten better now.

Lol to be fair I manage to get them to stop well on full shots but they're not much good for chipping. But here paying $20 for 3 Pro-V's is kind of prohibitive. It's the same price for 12 Pinnacles. Now I just bring balls in my suitcase when I go abroad.
Trust me out here you'll play with anything when costs are so high. One Pro-V into a tree and a tear drops out.

Played a round with the club for the first time last Sunday. I am a fairly decent chipper but I had one of my best chipping days on Sunday. One of my chips was from around 30 yards and stopped within 5 inches from the hole for an easy par. A lot of decent chips from both the rough and fairway.

Did not get a chance to try this in the sand as I got lucky enough to not go in. And good thing too because the bunkers were pretty hard ... thanks to the rain.

Little over 2 weeks with the club. Still love it but definitely disappointment that the black finish is already wearing on the sale. Looks half chrome/silver and half black now.

Back