Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 Wedge Preview

I just picked up both the C & S clubs and looking forward to playing them. This thread was very helpful in making the purchase decision. Thank you to everyone that posted comments about theses clubs - I really appreciate the useful info.

I had posted some time ago that I was having issues getting out of the trap with the SS S 2.0.
I'd get out but barely and with no height on my shot.

Buddy Ryebread on here mentioned a tip he uses. Essentially play the ball slightly forward. On the backswing do not hinge the wrists at all. Just make a real stiff armed swing and follow through. Ever since implementing this my bunker play has improved dramatically. I think before I was hinging too much and the leading edge was now digging vs letting the bounce on the sole work.

I play it like I'm hitting a fat shot off a fairway. Slightly closed stance aimed directly at target. Control distance by backswing. Commit to shot-hit it fat and hard and it pops up nicely. It's the easiest sand wedge I've ever played and it's terrific in thin muni bunkers. Don't play it like a regular sand save or you'll skull it. Middle to slightly back in stance, square or closed to target, swing hard and intentionally miss and inch or two behind the ball and out it goes. Love this SS 2.0 S. Now the C is a different story....can't figure that thing out.

Now the C is a different story....can't figure that thing out.

The main problem I found with the C was the loft of 42*. I'd think most people play a bump and run style chip with less loft (37-38* range). So for me it was sort of that odd loft where it didn't get down and moving like a bump and run yet not enough loft to get it to land it closer and stop. I had one magical chipping round with it (first time on the course with it) then after that it was just ok.

The main problem I found with the C was the loft of 42*. I'd think most people play a bump and run style chip with less loft (37-38* range). So for me it was sort of that odd loft where it didn't get down and moving like a bump and run yet not enough loft to get it to land it closer and stop. I had one magical chipping round with it (first time on the course with it) then after that it was just ok.

Actually according to every survey we have done, most people play bump and run style chips with more loft than 42*. In fact most golfers use a wedge.

On the range I hit the C like I hit my iron but just more accurate. Get on the course and I don't make good contact with it. It's a very unique club compared to my other wedges and irons and I haven't spent enough time working with it to have faith in it so it's in the closet. I bet if someone had time to chip everyday to get it dialed in it would be a deadly tool. I barely get 9 holes in a week and can't spend league night testing equipment. It's not a game changer like the S. I have a 58* CG 14 that I holed out from a fluffy bunker at a nice private club with slick greens a couple weeks prior to purchasing the S and the S kicked it right out of the bag. I'm aiming for bunkers now!

Actually according to every survey we have done, most people play bump and run style chips with more loft than 42*. In fact most golfers use a wedge.

JB,
I can see that for sure. I am one of them. I am guilty of playing most chip shots (even though I shouldn’t) with my Smart Sole 58*. Prior to that I used my Ping G25 58* for everything inside of 60 yds.
I am not a high spin player and play a surlyn ball so even with a 58* and a little forward press, my chips tend to still run out a good amount.
Maybe I phrased it incorrectly above. When I think bump and run I am speaking of a shot played with more of a putting stroke, keeping the ball very low with the intent of rolling it as soon as possible on the green. If I want to do this I normally use a 7, 8 or 9i. I was trying to accomplish this type of shot with the Smart Sole C I had last year and it worked but the ball would sort of hit the green with a funky spin on it and wasn’t as controllable for me. For me the lower loft of the Niblick 37* was more effective for this type of shot. It got it down quicker and rolling which I thought was the intent of a chipping type club. When Cleveland Came out with the two Smart Sole’s I was sort of surprised that it wasn’t a 58* and 37*.
Aren’t most dedicated chippers these days in the 37*range? For instance the new Odyssey Tank is 37*.

How has the finish held up on these for those still using them?

Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 Wedge Preview

How has the finish held up on these for those still using them?

I've got a season on mine. About 45 rounds. I will say though I used it for all things 60 yds and in earlier in the season. Now I only use it for sand shots or really short sided shots.

dc29fbe13e9fecc6ca14fcf38af11f17.jpg
8d3413d1d0f31a64faf10d40b7c4992b.jpg

7af76bf5146724fa932bdd258c0b2b8c.jpg

Last edited:
I play it like I'm hitting a fat shot off a fairway. Slightly closed stance aimed directly at target. Control distance by backswing. Commit to shot-hit it fat and hard and it pops up nicely. It's the easiest sand wedge I've ever played and it's terrific in thin muni bunkers. Don't play it like a regular sand save or you'll skull it. Middle to slightly back in stance, square or closed to target, swing hard and intentionally miss and inch or two behind the ball and out it goes. Love this SS 2.0 S. Now the C is a different story....can't figure that thing out.

I'm glad to see that. I have a C that I also can't figure out. I've been wanting to try the S, but fear the same issue. Maybe I'll have to pick one up now.

I'm glad to see that. I have a C that I also can't figure out. I've been wanting to try the S, but fear the same issue. Maybe I'll have to pick one up now.

I had both. The C didn't last too long. The S has been in the bag for 2 seasons.

If I soled the C on hard ground it rocked the the face closed like 30*. Oddest thing.

New member here, found this forum while searching for reviews of the Smart Sole 2.0 Wedges. They sound like they would definitely help my game. My question is are the 2.0s worth the extra money over used original C and S wedges. Thanks!

New member here, found this forum while searching for reviews of the Smart Sole 2.0 Wedges. They sound like they would definitely help my game. My question is are the 2.0s worth the extra money over used original C and S wedges. Thanks!

I am still using the originals I tried the 2.0's and found no difference in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still using the originals I tried the 2.0's and found no difference in performance.

This has also been confirmed by other people who have owned or have used both.

This has also been confirmed by other people who have owned or have used both.

Im one that significantly liked the 2.0 more than the original after some time.

My question is are the 2.0s worth the extra money over used original C and S wedges. Thanks!

I've owned both in the S wedge.
For me they performed equally.

2 seasons ago, I bought the first version used and it had a JumboMax grip on it. The grip seemed to help prevent flipping at impact and was a very nice compliment to the club.
I used it for virtually any shot inside of 65 yds and for all chipping. Got pretty good with it.

Last year I replaced it with the 2.0 S as I preferred the black look over the silver.
I changed my club selection process and began using my 54* and 8i more around the greens to pitch and chip with. Unfortunately my skills with the S weakened since I used it less. I now only use it out of the sand or extremely short sided shots where I need a high soft shot.

For me I saw no difference in spin, feel or looks between the two other than the color. I would say pick which one you like the look of better and go with it.

JB, genuinely curious, what did you like more about the 2.0? Looks, performance, feel, ??

Thanks for the replies. I like the looks of the 2.0 but it's nice to know the performance isn't drastically different.

Erock, putting a jumbo grip on it is interesting. I might have to look into that. I have a super stroke 5.0 on my putter and am a big fan of it.

I did too, slightly different perimeter weighting really helped me with a square face on a lot of shots, plus the black finish just looked better IMO.

Erock, putting a jumbo grip on it is interesting. I might have to look into that. I have a super stroke 5.0 on my putter and am a big fan of it.

I never had any experience with the Jumbo grip before and by chance the used one I bought had one on there. It was the darndest thing, as it felt like you were gripping a pool noodle but the club simply worked for me with that setup.
I never did swap the grip off of it and sold it when I got my 2.0. I never did put a JumboMax on my 2.0 but have thought about it many times. I actually thought about putting JumboMax's on all my irons and wedges. I think that is the grip that Bryson Dechambeau uses. Not that I swing anything like him, :)

I have an oversize grip with 5 wraps under it and a 32g counter weight in my C and it feels great.

I'm thinking an S would be a fun experiment to start 2017 off with!!!

I'm thinking an S would be a fun experiment to start 2017 off with!!!

I had the first version in my bag all of the 2015 season. 2.0 went in the bag and stayed all of the 2016 season.

I wish they would come out with a 65* version to compete with the Xe1 and c3i wedges. When I use it from the sand I'm usually short sided and I think the added loft would help since these are not meant to be opened up to add loft.

I had the first version in my bag all of the 2015 season. 2.0 went in the bag and stayed all of the 2016 season.

I wish they would come out with a 65* version to compete with the Xe1 and c3i wedges. When I use it from the sand I'm usually short sided and I think the added loft would help since these are not meant to be opened up to add loft.

For short sided shots with a Smart Sole wedge just move the ball slightly forward in your stance. Go to a practice bunker and see the affect of moving the ball in your stance. Also, try moving the ball in both directions to see the variety of shots that you can make. You should also try moving the ball around your stance outside the bunker and see what this wedge is fully capable of. Give this a try and you can thank me latter.

Back