Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Black Satin Wedges

A little bit of chipping in the yard. This thing is working as advertised. I had one swing that was a little chunky and it gave me more than I deserved. It‘s also pretty easy to manipulate the face of the ball isn’t in a tight lie.

I’m looking forward to getting it on course to give it some proper thoughts.

When the ball is tight there is no need to manipulate it. It’s a putting stroke on short shots.

This club was fun. Got up and down 5 times out of 10 with it. It performed great out of mucky lies. At times I found myself losing focus because it was a bit easy and my proximity to the hole wasn’t stellar but it was so easy to pop up and onto the green.

With full shots it did go really high on the 70 yd approach I had. Not sure how useful for me it will be from distance but I could see how if trying to launch high and land soft is a challenge for you I think your crazy to not give this a shot.

It also struggled a bit with a finesse type shot. I had one above my knees on a side hill lie that was tough to handle but I got it on, maybe to 12 feet.

Biggest compliment was on the first hole when I wasn’t really loose and put a chunky swing from some wet rough. It slid right through and made the front edge that I wouldn’t have with a blade style wedge. Second nice shot was from a tighter lie that floated up and spun to a dead stop.

This will definitely come out course and condition depending. It is a great tool for finding greens from bad spots. And honestly, it’s not a bad looking club.

Last edited:
This club was fun. Got up and down 5 times out of 10 with it. It performed great out of mucky lies. At times I found myself losing focus because it was a bit easy and my proximity to the hole wasn’t stellar but it was so easy to pop up and onto the green.

With full shots it did go really high on the 70 yd approach I had. Not sure how useful for me it will be from distance but I could see how it trying to launch high and land soft is a challenge for you I think your crazy to not give this a shot.

It also struggled a bit with a finesse type shot. I had one above my knees on a side hill lie that was tough to handle but I got it one, maybe to 12 feet.

Biggest compliment was on the first hole when I wasn’t really loose and put a chunky swing from some wet rough. It slid right through and made the front edge that I wouldn’t have with a blade style wedge. Second nice shot was from a tighter lie that floated up and spun to a dead stop.

This will definitely come out course and condition depending. It is a great tool for finding greens from bad spots. And honestly, it’s not a bad looking club.

I'm going to roll with mine most of the year. There is a chance I may buy a specialty wedge to replace it mid summer, but early results are pleasing.

I'm going to roll with mine most of the year. There is a chance I may buy a specialty wedge to replace it mid summer, but early results are pleasing.
I think it will be course depending for me. I know some around here ask a lot of questions from sloping lies but others are more straight forward in which case this will come out.

I think it will be course depending for me. I know some around here ask a lot of questions from sloping lies but others are more straight forward in which case this will come out.
I carry at 55 I can manipulate to not really worry about it.

Back in the day I used the set of Niblicks. When my wife first began playing I gave them to her and they really helped.
I purchased the Gap wedge for my wife. I know it will help her if I can only get her to use it... :banghead:

I may have did something

339F9B47-0171-4D91-9075-0413C516554B.jpeg

I hit mine in the simulator this morning just to get some distances and under 30 yards I swing it like a putter. Only thing I change is my ball position.

The C is quickly becoming my favorite/most used club in the short game. It is insanely easy to knock it close. I can’t believe that I’m a chipper guy, but I’m a chipper guy.

I look forward to seeing what the Smart Sole can do for me. Probably two weeks from getting out on the course.

The C is quickly becoming my favorite/most used club in the short game. It is insanely easy to knock it close. I can’t believe that I’m a chipper guy, but I’m a chipper guy.
Did you drop a club for it or were you only at 13 clubs?

I dropped the 5 iron that I hardly ever hit.
Same here. My 5h is my 170-175 club. I choke down an inch to cover 160-165 then my 6i at 150. Added the C got rid of the 5i.

For me that is where the C shines. Usually I take too much loft on my wedges to an elevated green and come up well short. The C comes off lower with more run out to get closer to the hole.

Based on this thread, along with Mark Crossfield's videos, and the fact that I am carrying 12 clubs, a Smart Sole C-wedge is likely in my future. I particularly like the fact that @erock9174 finds it useful on elevated greens. We have several at my course and I frequently come up way short. I also like the sound of being able to use it for low flying shots which stop pretty quickly!

My Smart Sole arrived today. Now I just have to wait for the course to open. We have 3 straight days of rain forecasted here this week and I’m traveling this weekend, so I may not get out until the 15th.

Trying to use this more throughout my rounds to get a good feel for it. I am better on pitches and full shots with a standard Zipcore fullface. I play chips and bump and run style shots better with this. No digging. Had a great chip in for birdie on a par 5 today. Probably about 15 feet. I don't use it for full out swings (its a funny feeling at impact for me) but I will game it rest of summer. It has a purpose.

Trying to use this more throughout my rounds to get a good feel for it. I am better on pitches and full shots with a standard Zipcore fullface. I play chips and bump and run style shots better with this. No digging. Had a great chip in for birdie on a par 5 today. Probably about 15 feet. I don't use it for full out swings (its a funny feeling at impact for me) but I will game it rest of summer. It has a purpose.

I’m excited to see what it can do.

Been using S version 58* for past months and it’s been my goto pitch, bunker and chip shots. Only shots I have been avoiding is that rock hard green side bunker shots. My buddy is enjoying C version. I couldn’t commit to that one yet. Just too limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G or S ??

Been using S version 58* for past months and it’s been my goto pitch, bunker and chip shots. Only shots I have been avoiding is that rock hard green side bunker shots. My buddy is enjoying C version. I couldn’t commit to that one yet. Just too limited.

How are you finding it is getting out of bunkers with higher lips?

How are you finding it is getting out of bunkers with higher lips?

It’s relatively simple process for me. Aim inch behind the ball with short and high follow through. No opening face or any other adjustments need for me since it’s 58*. Plenty of loft for me.it’s that hard or wet sands from local muni gives me the most trouble.

Back