Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Black Satin Wedges

It’s relatively simple process for me. Aim inch behind the ball with short and high follow through. No opening face or any other adjustments need for me since it’s 58*. Plenty of loft for me.it’s that hard or wet sands from local muni gives me the most trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play alot in those hard pack wet bunkers. For me When I had the sure out 64* for all sand shots I’d play the ball back a little and just try and stab at the ball. Not much you can do there. It’s just about getting out without breaking your wrist.

I've only had one bunker shot and I didn't have an issue. I hit sand behind the ball and didn't manipulate the face. Result was an up and down. I should have hit the same shot with my bladed wedge but didn't think about it.

It’s that hard or wet sands from local muni gives me the most trouble.

So you're saying that it's hard when the sand is compacted? I was buying it for that very reason. Sometimes you get these budget Arizona courses, especially during the summer, where you're basically in concrete that is pretending to be sand. I saw from the crossfield video that they were able to kind of take a shallower divots but are you having issues when it's dry?

So you're saying that it's hard when the sand is compacted? I was buying it for that very reason. Sometimes you get these budget Arizona courses, especially during the summer, where you're basically in concrete that is pretending to be sand. I saw from the crossfield video that they were able to kind of take a shallower divots but are you having issues when it's dry?

For me Yes. It’s difficult to judge distance with that wide sole that made for not digging. I usually try to just clip the ball but when you face 4ft high lips on hard sand trap it’s almost impossible to get the club under it. I had less problem with 58/6* bounce. I could at least get out without hitting the wall of the bunker or send it 30yds over the green. (Last weekend par3 experience) Other than this situation. It’s golden!!

Got a few rds under my belt now with the Smart Sole 4.0 C - Starting to feel more comfortable with it.
Yesterday's rd I used it 8 times, 7 for chips and converted 5/7 for pars.

Hole 3 - 16 yds to 3' made the par save putt
Hole 4 - 23' yards to 8' missed the birdie putt, easy par
Hole 6 - 41 yds to 9' and made the par save putt
Hole 10 - bad drive into a tree line, ball was at the edge and used it to punch back out into the FW
Hole 11 - 21 yds to 14' missed the putt, bogey
Hole 13 - Was on a bank and hit it about 5 yds to let the slope take it to the fringe. Bad decision, put a test ball down and hit my 64* to 3'. Live an learn
Hole 15 - 19 yds to 5', made the par save putt
Hole 18 - 21 yds to 12' and made the par save putt

Granted the putter was complementing the chipper and bailed me out on some of these but at least it's giving me looks and less risky than flubbing a std wedge chip. I am a pretty good wedge chipper but in these soggy conditions can definitely duff a chip here and there.
My technique is feet about 6" apart, ball off back foot, hands forward at address and just hold them there throughout the swing and not flip at it.

Also I am working on a shot with it from about 75-80 yds where I take about a 1/2-3/4 backswing with an abbreviated follow through and play the ball back and it hits a lower punch shot. I never had that shot yesterday on the course but on the range it looks promising for those windy days or no trouble in front of the green type pitch shots.

I also added the Smart Sole 4.0 Dark Gap Wedge - I used it for the first time yesterday and liked what I saw.
Blind uphill shot about 70 yds (couldn't even see the flag and it just skipped off the green beyond the fringe)
Blind approach shot from 80 up a steep hill (hate this approach shot) and it ended up just off. Made a great chip here but missed the 3 footer, doh
Approach shot from 90 out, GIR to about 8'
Not perfect but both misses were in good spots.
What I like about this club is the heft. My prior set wedge is about 30g lighter and would have a tendency to pull it. With the Smart Sole it seemed to go where I aimed it.

Sounds like @erock9174 and I are having a similar experience with the C. I am gaining more and more confidence with it and I am experimenting with longer shots. A clear winner for me.

I have the S and the only time I really avoid using it around the green is when I have an uphill lie. I never really thin those with a bladed wedge but struggle with this club. Other than that, it’s kind of a short game chest.

I wonder if we will see another major OEM release a chipper in the next couple of seasons?

Got a few rds under my belt now with the Smart Sole 4.0 C - Starting to feel more comfortable with it.
Yesterday's rd I used it 8 times, 7 for chips and converted 5/7 for pars.

Hole 3 - 16 yds to 3' made the par save putt
Hole 4 - 23' yards to 8' missed the birdie putt, easy par
Hole 6 - 41 yds to 9' and made the par save putt
Hole 10 - bad drive into a tree line, ball was at the edge and used it to punch back out into the FW
Hole 11 - 21 yds to 14' missed the putt, bogey
Hole 13 - Was on a bank and hit it about 5 yds to let the slope take it to the fringe. Bad decision, put a test ball down and hit my 64* to 3'. Live an learn
Hole 15 - 19 yds to 5', made the par save putt
Hole 18 - 21 yds to 12' and made the par save putt

Granted the putter was complementing the chipper and bailed me out on some of these but at least it's giving me looks and less risky than flubbing a std wedge chip. I am a pretty good wedge chipper but in these soggy conditions can definitely duff a chip here and there.
My technique is feet about 6" apart, ball off back foot, hands forward at address and just hold them there throughout the swing and not flip at it.

Also I am working on a shot with it from about 75-80 yds where I take about a 1/2-3/4 backswing with an abbreviated follow through and play the ball back and it hits a lower punch shot. I never had that shot yesterday on the course but on the range it looks promising for those windy days or no trouble in front of the green type pitch shots.

I also added the Smart Sole 4.0 Dark Gap Wedge - I used it for the first time yesterday and liked what I saw.
Blind uphill shot about 70 yds (couldn't even see the flag and it just skipped off the green beyond the fringe)
Blind approach shot from 80 up a steep hill (hate this approach shot) and it ended up just off. Made a great chip here but missed the 3 footer, doh
Approach shot from 90 out, GIR to about 8'
Not perfect but both misses were in good spots.
What I like about this club is the heft. My prior set wedge is about 30g lighter and would have a tendency to pull it. With the Smart Sole it seemed to go where I aimed it.
Great write-up!

I watched Crossfield hit his chipper from all over the course. Pretty cool seeing him hit it 110 yards and make a birdie. It’s a really cool club.

Last edited:
Anyone just go all in with the Smart Sole Wedges G, S and C?
Do you carry another wedge other than your PW?
If so which loft?
Do you feel like you are missing out on anything?

Right now I have my PW 44*, Smart Sole 4.0 G, CBX Full Face 56* and 60*, Sure Out 64* and the Smart Sole 4.0 C

I am thinking about buying the Smart Sole 4.0 S but its 58* and that throws off my lofts.
If I had it in the bag, I am not sure I would need my 56* and 60* any longer.

Right now I use the:
G- 95-100 yds
56* - 85 and most sand shots
60* - 75 - used this club mainly for chipping prior to getting the Smart Sole C
64* - 60 yds- I took this club out of the bag in favor of a Full Face CBX 64* and the CBX Full Face 64* was too demanding so the Sure Out went back in and its going to stay.
Smart Sole 4.0 C - chips and the occasional 75 low punch shot

If I go with the Smart Sole S
Then I'd be looking at:
G - 95-100
S - 80ish ? and for sand shots
64* - 60'
Smart Sole C

Not bad gapping but in dropping a wedge it does make me have to try and cover the 90 yd shot and 70 yd shot both of which I would just choke down an inch or take something off.

I guess I am just in keep it simple stupid mode right now.
I took my i200 irons of the bag and gaming my Altitude irons and since doing so shot a 77 and 80. Just trying to dummy proof the bag to enjoy the game more.
The thing is I know if I only have 13 clubs I will start looking to add a 2nd fairway wood or hybrid, neither of which I need :)

If so which loft?

Right now I have my PW 44*, Smart Sole 4.0 G, CBX Full Face 56* and 60*, Sure Out 64* and the Smart Sole 4.0 C

I am thinking about buying the Smart Sole 4.0 S but its 58* and that throws off my lofts.

Right now I use the:
G- 95-100 yds
64* - 60 yds- I took this club out of the bag in favor of a Full Face CBX 64* and the CBX Full Face 64* was too demanding so the Sure Out went back in and its going to stay.

Then I'd be looking at:
G - 95-100
64* - 60'
Smart Sole C

Not bad gapping but in dropping a wedge it does make me have to try and cover the 90 yd shot and 70 yd shot both of which I would just choke down an inch or take something off.

I took my i200 irons of the bag and gaming my Altitude irons and since doing so shot a 77 and 80. Just trying to dummy proof the bag to enjoy the game more.
The thing is I know if I only have 13 clubs I will start looking to add a 2nd fairway wood or hybrid, neither of which I need :)
I thought about and haven't for two reasons. 1, I love my Zipcores and 2 the 58 went really high for me on 'full' swings.

That said, I have given it thought. I think if I did I would simply stop at my PW and use the smart sole combo after that. The only thing to work out would be the PW to G gapping but practicing take a little of a PW isn't a bad skill to develop if needed.

The only thing I may miss out on is the ability to open the face, which sometimes I do and do fairly well if the lie and position dictates it. The biggest for me is when I short side myself above the green on a downslope. I shouldn't be there in the first place, but if I golfed my ball that well I wouldn't be a double digit handicapper.

This club is really effective but I struggle to take myself seriously 😂

middle of stance to maybe a half ball in front of middle
Ah got it. I play most of my full shot wedges off my back foot gets me about 10-15 more yds a lower flight and more control. If I need more height I’ll put it middle.

Ah got it. I play most of my full shot wedges off my back foot gets me about 10-15 more yds a lower flight and more control. If I need more height I’ll put it middle.
That's a good point, I will have to try it further back. I'll do that with half swings but haven't really dabble there on the full swing. Gives me something new to try, I like that.

If so which loft?

Right now I use the:
G- 95-100 yds

Then I'd be looking at:
G - 95-100
64* - 60'
Smart Sole C

Are you unhappy with your sand play? At first glance having the S 58* and Sure Out 64* seems a little redundant. Dropping a club has its appeal but you also seem to have a nice mix of versatile and specialty wedges

Are you unhappy with your sand play? At first glance having the S 58* and Sure Out 64* seems a little redundant.
Not at all. Sand play is fine. I don’t use the sure out for bunkers rarely at all. At 64* you have to swing it like a driver to move it out of the sand. I prefer a 56* opened up from the sand with a more controlled swing.

I use the 64* for 60 yd approaches. Have sunk two with it over the years for eagles. I will also use it for short sided shots or chips if I need to stop the ball like it’s on Velcro.

Wasn’t a lot of sand on the course today but the one I landed in was fairly deep. Easy out and one putt. No manipulation needed. Hit a few chips today that had some serious check on them. Preformed well beyond my liking of the club.

Dang it you guys! Now I'm thinking of dropping my 5i or 58* for a "C"
Let me ask - Most go Steel or Graphite?
Can get any height on a 1/2 or 3/4 swing to maybe go over a bunker or use in rough to elevate and get on a green?

Can get any height on a 1/2 or 3/4 swing to maybe go over a bunker or use in rough to elevate and get on a green?
Mine has graphite but just because I have graphite in everything else.

On full swings, distance and height are roughly same as my 48* gap wedge with about 2000 rpm less spin. I haven't done the comparison directly with 1/2 or 3/4 swings but would expect similar

I went graphite, dropped the 5i & can hit this pretty high if I need to.

Paging @erock9174

Back