Club Buying: Your biggest miss?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the biggest miss for you when it came to buying a new club or clubs? Could be performance, price, remorse, whatever.

This is a safe place, you can share with us…

This is an easy one for me... I bought the original SLDR.

Back then, I knew NOTHING about clubs, and I thought TM was king, and lets just say it wasn't the right club for me.

• Staff

Back then, I knew NOTHING about clubs, and I thought TM was king, and lets just say it wasn't the right club for me.
If people are honest, we should see a LOT of SLDR mentioned.

I should never have bought a boxed starter set. But I wasn't going to commit the money to something else when I didn't know I would really play it enjoy it.

Now 2+ thousand posts later... Yep should have.

I also bought an SLDR. Hit some of my longest ever drives with it, but the other 99% of shots were off...the...planet!

• Staff
PXG and Adams Launch Lab drivers.

The original Ping Crossover 19*. I wanted to love it but I had no business with it in my bag.

Bombtech driver - I hit some good ones, and it was a great conversation starter, but it was such a bad fit.

The Callaway Apex UW 19.....

Tempted to try the 21.....but the 19 was not what I hoped it would be for me.

Bombtech driver - I hit some good ones, and it was a great conversation starter, but it was such a bad fit.
I mean….yeah. :LOL:

My mavrik hybrid has been a pretty poor performer for me.. more of a poor choice in club and shaft selection when I was buying

Drivers designed for better players. The Z-785 and Mavrik Sub Zero were enough to know that I have no business playing this category. Give me ALL the forgiveness.

I have clubs I bought that I simply don't use for various reasons, yet I would not state they are big misses. The thing about golf clubs is you may grab one that you have set aside and it may become a solid club for you. Even though I don't play my hybrids I could always wind up using them again.

If I had to pick one at the moment, I think my driving iron was not the best selection because I simply cannot get the height I need with my current swing, but I could see where it would be the bomb on certain courses because of the low trajectory.

So many clubs, so little site bandwidth...

Every utility iron I have bought. I just don't have the clubhead speed for a low lofted iron. Now I play smartly with a 7W and 5H and a GI 6 iron before starting to drop forgiveness for control.

I bought a 9 degree stiff shafted driver (Great Big Bertha II) years ago. Traded it in for one with a more appropriate loft and flex.

Nike something 3 wood. Played 9 holes and gave it to my Dad

I'll join the SLDR support group in here. I didn't buy mine, but won it at a tournament raffle. Wound up giving away my R1 that I had been pretty solid with. Needless to say the SLDR and I were not a great fit :ROFLMAO:

Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4 iron. I let the fitter talk me into it. It's fine and I can mostly handle it but why because hybrids and I just get along. There's really not a place for it. I've got a utility iron if I want to play low bullets. I should probably see it to a home where it would be played...

i ordered a custom set of titest irons back when I was young that required a much better swing then I had. one of the few sets of irons I've owned where I did not make many good memories.

A few years ago I went driver searching on eBay without getting fit. It was a 4 driver disaster!

Every utility iron I have bought. I just don't have the clubhead speed for a low lofted iron. Now I play smartly with a 7W and 5H and a GI 6 iron before starting to drop forgiveness for control.
This is exactly me, and the reason I have never even looked at a utility. I have enough trouble with a 5 and 6i let alone anything else :LOL:

Would have to jump on the SLDR bandwagon as well. Disastrous results for me, right in line with every other TM driver I've tried.

Back