Club Fitting Question and "IPAC" Accreditation

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Recently I've been searching for some new clubs (irons in partcular) and found a Mizuno accredited fitting centre. They seemed to know what they were doing and gave me a specification.

Recently, while getting my Eidolon wedges I was contacted by an independant fitter who was charged with putting the wedges together. Naturally I went along to meet him to ensure the wedges were suitable. He commented that the Mizuno reccomendations I'd received were unsuitable (in his opinion) and gave reasons why.

My question would be. Which one do I trust?

Finally, have you ever heard of IPAC (http://www.ipacgolf.com/sites/courses/layout10.asp?id=566&page=29462) who the independant fitter I spoke to is attached to?

Thanks in advance for your help

Who was the mizuno fitter? What did he have to prove he was what he said he is? I have heard of the organization it is ok. Here is my 2 cents...a fitter should be a PGA member or affiliated with the PGA (apprentice). Most companies will have a list of fitters on their websites. Get me some static numbers and I will get you my fitting recommendations.

I guess the only thing I have to go on regarding the Mizuno fitter is that the Mizuno website listed the centre as an acredited "regional fitting centre", which is their 2nd highest accreditation behind their National centres.

I saw this club maker/fitter for a proper meeting/session etc... yesterday (http://www.fourcountiesgolf.co.uk/index.php?pageid=1). He seemed much better at explaining everything and was able to back up the computer/launch moniter data with personal experience/educated guesses.

Anyway, I'm 6'0". Wrist to floor is 38". Wrist to fingertip 8.25" and longest finger 3.75".

I did actually buy a set of irons too, I much prefer dealing with someone like that as he'll happily alter lofts/lie etc... post-purchase if it needs to be changed. I'm starting off with clubs 0.75" longer than his standard, but he thinks they might need bending another 1* upright as well. The shafts can always be cut down slightly if needed too. I'd be interested in your reccomendtions though to see how they match up.

So off of your static info here is where I would put you. In your 6 iron: I would make it 38" long with a lie angle of 64* with a mid sized grip. I am curious to here how close those numbers are to what you just got. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Andy you're awesome man just wanna say thanks for all the help you have given me and everyone else here on THP!!!!

Andy you're awesome man just wanna say thanks for all the help you have given me and everyone else here on THP!!!!

Gotta agree, appreciate the effort and response.

The grips I'm getting are just a regular with 3 tapes, so almost a mid-size. It was a close decision/debate though.

I'm unsure of the exact length/angle of the clubs. I'll try and find out for you.

Update: when I pick up my clubs on Thursday I'll have a full specs sheet with them so will post up the details then

I am curious to find out where things end up.

Slight delay, my clubs won't be ready till the weekend and as its a bank holiday I'll pick them up Tuesday. So Specs will be delayed till then too

So off of your static info here is where I would put you. In your 6 iron: I would make it 38" long with a lie angle of 64* with a mid sized grip. I am curious to here how close those numbers are to what you just got. Let me know what your thoughts are.

I picked up my clubs today.

The 6 iron is 38.25" long with a lie of 61.5. Initial feelings from a round on the course are that the wedges feel fine but the irons might be slightly long/upright. I'll see what my coach reckons in my lesson tomorrow.

I also got my driver re-shafted with a SK Fiber lite revolution 1 shaft. It was amazing! I hit every drive straight (give or take 30yds) 230-240+

Also, here's my swing. Thoughts welcome

[YOUTUBE]v9d3sy1x3b0[/YOUTUBE]

That looked pretty good. How are the new weapons treating you? Let me know what you tend to see out there.

That looked pretty good. How are the new weapons treating you? Let me know what you tend to see out there.

Cheers, the video was taken in the evening after a lesson in the morning so the new swing feelings were fresh in my mind.

Initial results with the clubs were very good, I shot level par gross over 9 holes to win a competition last Thursday. Everything was going well. But I'm such a relative newbie to the game that my swing can change on a daily basis. Over the weekend I got back into a couple of bad habits and was coming over the top causing me to straight pull or fade/slice the ball. I need a few focused practices/range sessions to drill and engrain my new swing path/feelings.

Swing changes take time to take hold. Make sure that your practice sessions are focused on what you and your coach are working on. Keep up the good work and please continue to update us on your progress.

Quick update:
I've settled into striking the new clubs pretty well now, still got no idea of the exact distances I hit them though...I'm planning to find a park/field somewhere where I can stick my alignment sticks in the ground and use a laser rangefinder to identify my exact yardages etc...

Swing: My plane is improving all the time, my bad habit is still the out to in path. To stop this my pro has me visualising/trying to feel like I'm pushing the ball out to the right (kinda 1st base baseball style) all the time, it definitely helps. Also, I have to focus on slowing my tempo down, bad things happen when I try to natural strength take over.

My most recent lesson was for my driver, I felt (still feel) that I don't hit enough fairways (only 50%) so we focused on that. My focus on that is to keep my hands quiet on the backswing, widen out my swing path and at the top of my backswing my wrists are barely broken and the club is pointing up towards the sky. Then on the downswing again try and push the ball out to the right. This seemed weird as I don't see any pros doing this...however, it works.

So in my first full golf season I gained my handicap, managed to bring it down from 20 to 12. The goal over the winter is to try and maintain my standard at around 12/13, then next season get down to 4-6ish. Swing wise I'm still focusing on accuracy, my pro rekons there's still another 20-30% of power he can get from me so that'll be worked on next summer.

Was thinking of going to one of taylormade's fitting centers but think the $400 is a little steep. Any thoughts? Live in the Chicago area.

Was thinking of going to one of taylormade's fitting centers but think the $400 is a little steep. Any thoughts? Live in the Chicago area.

Usually with most fitting places if you choose to buy some new clubs you'll get the price of the fitting back (or at least it's that way over here). So if you're looking for new clubs then don't worry about the price of the fitting...but $400 does sound very expensive.

In my experience of finding new clubs I'd reccomend trying out lots of different manufacturers too, try not to limit yourself to just Taylor Made equipment.

You can get a tour level fitting at GolfTEC for $99. They will look at clubs from all companies and find out what club head and shaft is the best out there for you.

Something $100 or less is about right around here as well and you do get it back when you buy the clubs. I don't think I have ever heard of $400 before.

Back